Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

VIDEO: Winter Backpacking Superior Hiking Trail

We set out on late December afternoon for a 3 day, 2 night backpacking adventure on the Superior Hiking Trail. Our plans were to hike from Britain Peak to Oberg Mountain, which is just under 6 miles.

It was a beautiful sunny day. We started out summiting Britain Peak and then hiking about a mile on trail that had been packed. The traveled trail soon end and we broke trail through deep and difficult snow for awhile. Not only was the deeper than expected snow causing problems, but identifying where the trail was slowed us down. We stopped short of our original day one plan and camped at Springdale Creek (which was completely frozen). The cold temperatures felt a little colder that night due to some wet pants and socks due to the deeper than expected snow. We had a good campfire.

On day two we woke up, after a chilly night and decided to back track back to the car, and drive around to our where our planned ending pint was (Oberg Mountain). On the way we stopped for some water (that wasn't frozen), and some hot food and beverage. We hiked a short distance into the Onion River Campsite. This campsite had been camped in recently and was much easier to set up in. We gathered and processed a lot of fire wood and enjoyed a long warm campfire. We learned of a Winter Storm Warning and prepared to wake to snow.

Strong winds and snow changing to rain and back to snow moved in overnight. It was warmer (about 32 degrees) but the strong wind and rain made for a quick pack up and exit in the morning. As we walked out, it was a beautiful (but windy) winter wonderland. We were surprised by 5-6 inches of snow in the parking lot. Huge waves on an upset Lake Superior made for an interesting (but slow) drive home.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post

Wow! I got cold just watching that!!! That snowy trail was beautiful, though!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    When I winter hang I don't even pretend like I don't need a hot water bottle to sleep with, it makes all the difference in the world. I've even had to get my arms out of the top quilt to cool off a bit in 10-15* temps.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Great video! You do an outstanding job documenting your adventures!! That was a cold hang!!!! Keep posting!!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Those site are totally unrecognizable under all that snow! Can definitely see wandering off the trail easily. What tarp do you typically use with your Ridgerunner if you are getting rid of the Superfly?

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Those site are totally unrecognizable under all that snow! Can definitely see wandering off the trail easily. What tarp do you typically use with your Ridgerunner if you are getting rid of the Superfly?
    I have been camping all this year with my Ridgerunner under a 13' Mountain Fly. I LOVE it. The partial doors pulled out tight are great. Its actually the same tarp that Rob had in this video.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC ; RR
    Tarp
    Superfly; W Haven
    Insulation
    WB TQ and UQ's
    Suspension
    Tensa4 and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    I recently purchased a 13' Winter Haven tarp from SLD for my Ridgerunner and love it. I can't wait to get out with it. I highly recommend Jared and his work.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    That looked like a good time. Maybe using a frost bib would help with the condensation. Just getting some snow to stay here in Vermont. Looking forward to some winter camping.
    Thanks for the video and take care.

• + New Posts