WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Just curious - why did you pick 10* quilts for Tennessee? Seems a bit overkill for that area.
    I spent 3 nights in the Smokys in mid March when the overnight lows were between 8-12 degrees. 10* quilts are hardly overkill.

I'm originally from Tn and I know the 0 degree is not over kill. I live in NC and have a 0 UQ. I've hunkered down in the Uwharries in Feb at 15 to 16 F and that's at relatively low elevation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How long can one keep a down quilt compressed before it starts to degrade the quality?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by peterock68 View Post
    How long can one keep a down quilt compressed before it starts to degrade the quality?
    There are so many variables and as many opinions on this topic.

Moisture content, down quality, amount of compression, fill power, cleanliness, age all affect the answer to this question.

One could say that every compression cycle degrades the down to some extent. On the other hand, there are also down bags/quilts that have been compressed for years and are still very functional.

I'd say keep it compressed as little as you can. Your quilt is a tool that allows you to get outdoors. Use it as such. If it becomes unusable, replace it. Don't let the care of your quilt dictate your camping style.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
    Just got a new HG econ top quilt - the 10 degree version. It's pretty fantastic, honestly. My big question was is there any way to compress it smaller? It came with the storage and stuff sacks, but it's still pretty large in my pack (ULA Circuit). I'm thinking I'll be seriously limiting my pack capacity once my new HG 10 degree underquilt arrives. What are you guys doing to pack/compress these? I realize the UQ probably won't be quite as bulky as the TQ, but it is still going to be pretty sizable I'm thinking.
    I can fit my 20F top quilt and 20F 3/4 UQ in my ULA CDT just in the compactor bag with room for the rest of my gear and food for about three days. The Circuit is fairly large. Do you have lots of specialty gear you are using the space for? They make compression bags with straps on the side that get it down pretty small but i prefer the mush into the compactor bag method it seems to work great for me.

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    The problem with compressing is that it loses insulating ability if you don't get it really fluffed back up before sleeping in it. It can take hours to recover from being smashed.

I try to keep my down stuff stored fluffy in large cotton bags when not using and try to allow room for them in larger stuff sacks in my pack when I am.

I'f I had to pick between the right under quilt and an ultralight pack, I think I'd be looking at a slightly larger pack like a 55L

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks again everyone. I'll do some testing over the weekend and see what kind of progress I can make. I do have a compression bag that I bought for my MSS to use without the bivvy. I'll see how it does and also try to pick up some compactor bags to play around with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12