ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps

New HG top quilt - compressing?

Just got a new HG econ top quilt - the 10 degree version. It's pretty fantastic, honestly. My big question was is there any way to compress it smaller? It came with the storage and stuff sacks, but it's still pretty large in my pack (ULA Circuit). I'm thinking I'll be seriously limiting my pack capacity once my new HG 10 degree underquilt arrives. What are you guys doing to pack/compress these? I realize the UQ probably won't be quite as bulky as the TQ, but it is still going to be pretty sizable I'm thinking.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you're packing 10* quilts, they're going to be pretty sizable and not much you can do about it. When I pack my 0* quilts in my 70L pack, I don't have much room for other stuff.

Just curious - why did you pick 10* quilts for Tennessee? Seems a bit overkill for that area.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could get a compression sack to get it somewhat smaller....https://www.rei.com/product/118854/r...ion-stuff-sack
    Make sure to fluff it and migrate your down for top efficiency.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
    Just got a new HG econ top quilt - the 10 degree version. It's pretty fantastic, honestly. My big question was is there any way to compress it smaller? It came with the storage and stuff sacks, but it's still pretty large in my pack (ULA Circuit). I'm thinking I'll be seriously limiting my pack capacity once my new HG 10 degree underquilt arrives. What are you guys doing to pack/compress these? I realize the UQ probably won't be quite as bulky as the TQ, but it is still going to be pretty sizable I'm thinking.
    For future reference, when bulk is a concern it is important to get quilts made with lighter shell material such as 10D or 7D ripstop which compress a lot more than 20D. This makes a much bigger difference in bulk than getting 950fp down vs 850fp.

Of course, the other benefit for backpacking is that they will also weigh less. I typically carry a 0deg Incubator and 20deg Enigma (both 850fp down) in my 62L pack (Arc Haul) and there is gobs of room left over. I just cram them into the bottom of the pack with no stuff/compression sacks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    It gets pretty cold here surprisingly enough, especially if we camp near the river. I'm generally a warm sleeper, but I've frozen to death in Big South Fork twice, and vowed I'd never be cold hiking again lol. I ended up buying the MSS to alleviate that. It works fantastic, but the weight is just too much. The older I get, the more weight-conscious I become (more on that below). I bought a set of "HangTite" CDT Heatseeker quilts that were rated to 20 I believe, but in reality they are closer to mid-30s or even 40* comfort level. I wanted to get a set of "nice" quilts, and didn't feel that 20* would be enough of a difference between what I already had. So, I decided that the 10* would be a good step for the colder nights.

I did some searching after my initial post, and appreciate everyone's input. It seems there are two schools of thought - compression bag like @Shug mentions, or just cram it down in the bottom of the pack (even using compactor bags as a makeshift stuff sack). I think what I need to do is play with them both ways and see which way works better based on my loadout. I had everything in there minus food and extra/camp clothes, and still had some room, so I think I'll likely be OK. I have also decided that I'm going to have to start packing my CPAP (joy!), because I can't sleep without it. I purchased a DC adapter and battery pack today. I'm hoping the complete setup only adds 3-4 pounds but I still have to weigh my CPAP (the battery and adapter don't weigh but a couple pounds combined). So, it seems I've shed a good many pounds but have new required items that are slowly adding them back in. The struggle is real!

EDIT: Forgot to ask - seems like a 15L sack would work?
    Last edited by joemomma; 12-30-2019 at 17:25.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I'd recommend a 20 to 25 liter (granite gear or sea to summit) event compression bag. It will fit both quilts and then into the bottom of your pack

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

joemomma,

Ive got the 10 degree HG Econ Set. It can be stuffed down hard, to almost nothing. It is placed in the bottom of my pack. Like Shug says, take the quilts out as soon as practicable, fluff them out and migrate the down. Youll be fine.

Something else to think about.......maybe a new larger pack? Especially if you got the CPAP machine coming along now?

The older I get, its more about comfort and getting away. If you are carrying heavier and larger gear then you are used to, just slow down, take breaks........look around and enjoy the experience.

Happy New Year.

Bob

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Just curious - why did you pick 10* quilts for Tennessee? Seems a bit overkill for that area.
    You obviously haven't been Eastern TN in the winter. A 10° is just cutting it for many parts of this area. I'm heading to Bob Stratton Bald this coming weekend and we are having above normal temps. I'm taking my 0° and hope it's enough.
    strattonBald.PNG

I've seen the thermometer sitting below 0 more than once in Turtletown and that's down in a hollow at low altitude.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’ve used true compression bags before, my 0° Econ Incubator fits in a 10L. I’m currently making some DIY packing pods like Hyperlight Mountain Gear sells and I think they will compress my quilts down very nicely. The good thing about these is I’m able to measure them specifically to my pack internal dimensions and not waste any space. Essentially the same as using a compactor bag, but the zippered top helps compress a little more and keeps the back of my backpack from deforming (theoretically).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast