Tarp
    HG Winter
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Varies

Smile Superior Trail Thru hike, 100% Hammock (solo)-advice wanted

Hey friends
    I am hoping to do the entire Superior Trail this summer/fall. I am 100% hammock , so no tents. 🏕
    I am really looking for solitude and quiet. I understand along the SHT there is no stealth camping (I totally respect the reasons). As a female solo backpacker, I get nervous around large groups. For those of you who have done all or part of the SHT, are you able to kind of get back into the tree'd area a little even if you are at a designated campground?

Also, if you have thru hiked the SHT...how long did it take you.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Beth

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cr8tvcamper View Post
    Hey friends
    I am hoping to do the entire Superior Trail this summer/fall. I am 100% hammock , so no tents. ��
    I am really looking for solitude and quiet. I understand along the SHT there is no stealth camping (I totally respect the reasons). As a female solo backpacker, I get nervous around large groups. For those of you who have done all or part of the SHT, are you able to kind of get back into the tree'd area a little even if you are at a designated campground?

Also, if you have thru hiked the SHT...how long did it take you.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Beth
    Dispersed camping is allowed (following the guidelines) depending on where you are. Superior National Forest for sure, but you'll have to check some of the state parks rules. Obviously you'll want to follow LNT principles and light no fires but being in a hammock you're already ahead of the game.

Even at campsites it is usually completely possible to tuck yourself fairly far back into the woods. I don't like large groups either so I know where you are coming from. And for me anything over 4 is a large group. To also accommodate this, if possible, make your start date after most schools / colleges are starting back then you'll find a lot more solitude on the trail. Depending on how comfortable you are with weather obviously the closer you push towards the fringe seasons, the crowds will lessen even more.

Generally you'll want to count on 2 to 3 weeks for a thru hike, the average for a strong hiker is around 12 days with no zero's.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Autumn Ultralight custom Juniper
    Tarp
    HG Winter
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks so much! Great info!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is some info on camping rules and such on the Superior Hiking Trail......https://superiorhiking.org/backpacking/
    It gets pretty busy on weekends so be prepared to share sites with others.
    Most sites are good for hammocks but a few here and there you may have to get creative.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cr8tvcamper View Post
    Thanks so much! Great info!
    No problem, good luck on your hike. The SHT is an amazing trail.

Since you're looking for solitude I just have to pimp my own trail here, since your somewhat close. The NCT in northern WI doesn't see anywhere near the crowds that the SHT does, so keep us in mind for any future trips after your thru hike I've gone without seeing a soul for days (but I live within walking distance of the trail so can cherry pick my time.) We don't have views but we do have a whole lot of lakes, quiet and two amazing wilderness areas. We also offer free shuttles if you email either the Brule/St Croix or Chequamegon chapter and a volunteer member is available. Generally though one of us has always been available to pick up the shuttle. Takes most about 5 days to do the entire stretch. Because of our overwhelming amount of lakes, early spring or fall is highly encouraged, it can get.........intense bug wise.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Autumn Ultralight custom Juniper
    Tarp
    HG Winter
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks so much for the info!

• + New Posts