Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ

VIDEO - Solo Winter Trek and Camp (tried HG 20 degree set in 17 degrees)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zSLBaaO2cCE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/zSLBaaO2cCE

Hey Hammockers,

Did a quick over nighter and figured I'd share. I ran out of battery with my gopro and had to use my phone for the camping portion. Wow, what an ordeal that turned into when I tried to actually use the footage. I will spare you all the details but just know, I've learned some valuable lessons on videography and I'm already aware of the issues. I hope you can look past them and still enjoy it.

The main goal of the video was just to capture a nice winter hike since i suspected we would not have a white Christmas this year where I live. We had snow storm and I figured I'd enjoy it while I could. I also, decided since I was just doing a quick over nighter, and the temps were perfect for it. I wanted to test out my Hammock Gear 20 degree quilt setup in about 20 degree weather. Turned out to be 17 that night and I although I was impressed with the setup, I believe those extra few degree's made the difference between being a bit chilled and being warm. I will do a follow on video of my findings and go into further details on my experience with it. I plan to post that in the HG section.

Enjoy!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zSLBaaO2cCE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/zSLBaaO2cCE

Hey Hammockers,

Did a quick over nighter and figured I'd share. I ran out of battery with my gopro and had to use my phone for the camping portion. Wow, what an ordeal that turned into when I tried to actually use the footage. I will spare you all the details but just know, I've learned some valuable lessons on videography and I'm already aware of the issues. I hope you can look past them and still enjoy it.

The main goal of the video was just to capture a nice winter hike since i suspected we would not have a white Christmas this year where I live. We had snow storm and I figured I'd enjoy it while I could. I also, decided since I was just doing a quick over nighter, and the temps were perfect for it. I wanted to test out my Hammock Gear 20 degree quilt setup in about 20 degree weather. Turned out to be 17 that night and I although I was impressed with the setup, I believe those extra few degree's made the difference between being a bit chilled and being warm. I will do a follow on video of my findings and go into further details on my experience with it. I plan to post that in the HG section.

Enjoy!
    Thanks! I enjoyed the video! Looks like you had fun!

You were a bit beyond the rating of your quilt, typically some folks can go lower while some others are colder sleepers and can't make the rating. People vary. Since wind(needing blocking) was apparently not a factor, I wonder if your UQP bought you any extra warmth? It certainly will if wind is a problem.(or more accurately, prevent the wind from ruining the warmth rating, more so than actually adding additional warmth) OTOH, if it did help you, then you might need to move that comfort temp up a few degrees if not using the UQP.

I often use quilts at much colder than temps than they are rated for by using vapor barriers. ( I cheat) By adding a 3 oz space blanket between my hammock and under insulation, or even better by wearing VB clothing CLOSE TO SKIN!(which can replace one of my layers so little to no weight/bulk added), I typically add 15 to 25 degrees to whatever insulation I have with me, plus keeps it drier for longer. But true, most folks don't like that approach and avoid it. But sure does make me toasty sometimes when I am other wise a bit chilly. but to each his own, it is not for everybody for sure.

Or, obviously, you can just add a 20 degree warmer quilt. Did I here you say you had a zero F quilt with you?

But any way, I enjoyed watching you have fun on your solo cold adventure!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    OG Honey Badger, when you got chilled did you put on every bit of clothing you had?

Do you have down or synthetic insulated pants? I consider these a winter essential... huge amounts of heat can be lost thru the legs, but I see a lot of people with a nice insulated parka but not pants.

Do you carry a CCF sit pad? Even a small sit pad under the backside can make a huge difference!

BillyBob58 comments about VB clothing should be considered. I've experienced using quilts far below their rating when using VB, and it prevents quilts getting wet from body vapor as it migrates toward the TQ shell.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Nice video. Looked like a nice fire and learned a thing or two.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I often use quilts at much colder than temps than they are rated for by using vapor barriers.
    You know me and by VB! It adds a ton of warmth, and blocks drafts 100%. Nowhere for that heat to escape.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Beautiful snowy hike/camp. Thanks for sharing, every trip is a learning experience!!

• + New Posts