WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I spent over a decade working in the wilderness areas adjacent and to the south of Glacier, i.e. Bob Marshall (aka Bog Marshes), Great Bear (before it was the Great Bear), Scapegoat, and Missions before moving south to spend several decades in the Absaroka-Beartooth and Teton Wilderness. My choice was mostly to skip the NPs with their stringent regulations, regulated or mandatory campsites, and crowds. I'd suggest going southward or staying on the perimeter with limited sashays into the NP.
    I strongly second this. I really enjoy the NPs, but anymore it's for day hiking and such. For camping, backpacking, etc., the periphery is equally, and sometimes more beautiful and enjoyable than inside the NP boundaries. Especially those busy NPs out here in the West (YNP, Tetons, Glacier, Yosemite).

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down, UGQ down
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    The Northwestern region of Glacier National Park (GNP) would seem conducive to hammock camping (plenty of large trees), however regulations require camping at designated campsites. Not just general camp areas but at specific designated sites. Many of GNP's camp sites are now wood-framed, elevated TENT sites with very few large trees. Unfortunately, GNP is almost exclusively tent camping.

Don't despair, however. If you want to see Glacier plan some day hikes into the park but plan on camping in nearby national forests. Even the car camping sites within the Park are designed for tents. I live just under 100 miles from GNP but seldom backpack or camp there. There are so many areas in western Montana for getting out in the woods WITHOUT the crowds that GNP (for me) is generally reserved as a driving tour with day hikes for family and friends visiting from out of state. When I do backpack in GNP I resign myself to tent camping.

GNP is definitely a great place to visit. So many awesome sites and HUGE mountains. Even a few glaciers. It is not called the Crown of the Continent by mistake. But take it from a native Montanan, there are better places to get out into the wild, see some critters, catch a trout, hike some remote trails, and discover a unique hammock hang with an unforgettable view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Giraffe View Post
    The Northwestern region of Glacier National Park (GNP) would seem conducive to hammock camping (plenty of large trees), however regulations require camping at designated campsites. Not just general camp areas but at specific designated sites. Many of GNP's camp sites are now wood-framed, elevated TENT sites with very few large trees. Unfortunately, GNP is almost exclusively tent camping.

Don't despair, however. If you want to see Glacier plan some day hikes into the park but plan on camping in nearby national forests. Even the car camping sites within the Park are designed for tents. I live just under 100 miles from GNP but seldom backpack or camp there. There are so many areas in western Montana for getting out in the woods WITHOUT the crowds that GNP (for me) is generally reserved as a driving tour with day hikes for family and friends visiting from out of state. When I do backpack in GNP I resign myself to tent camping.

GNP is definitely a great place to visit. So many awesome sites and HUGE mountains. Even a few glaciers. It is not called the Crown of the Continent by mistake. But take it from a native Montanan, there are better places to get out into the wild, see some critters, catch a trout, hike some remote trails, and discover a unique hammock hang with an unforgettable view.
    Anywhere in particular you would recommend? The Chinese walk area looks pretty neat from what I have found on YouTube...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down, UGQ down
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    The Bob Marshall Wilderness (1 million acres +) contains the Chinese Wall and some truly amazing country, and is pretty much due south of GNP. “The Bob” can be accessed from the east (awe-inspiring sunrises), from the north (Hwy 2 near GNP or the Hungry Horse Reservoir area), or from the west via the Swan Valley. The Mission Mountain Wilderness (74,000 acres) forms the eastern boundary of the Swan Valley.

The Absoroka-Beartooth Wilderness (just under 1 million acres) has some spectacular alpine areas and huge vistas, due east of Yellowstone National Park and south of I-90. Plan to camp below tree line with a hammock.

The opportunities truly are endless for hammock camping in either Montana's National Forest lands or designated wilderness areas. Most camp grounds accessible by automobile (National Forests) are in timber and will likely accommodate hammock camping.

A simple word of caution (from experiences with out-of-state friends visiting for backpacking trips): keep yourself hydrated. As you hit the higher elevations in the mountains persistent and nagging headaches can easily spoil a visit for folks from lower elevations. Clear water is generally in abundance well into the summer in Montana’s mountains. Filtration should remain standard practice, however as bears do indeed sh*t in the woods (and the streams).

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but just for fun I looked at this area and drive time/flight cost. $220 round trip to fly!!! Stupid cheap during the covid mess.

But I know that will change, and I don't want to blow another big chunk of vacation either. One of these days though I need to fly somewhere far away.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    I camped out at Kintla and strung up with my girlfriend and myself, just using standard 1" straps and whoopies. No bother to the campground hosts, and we actually were the talk of the town! Lot's of other campers came to talk about the setups and share some of their cool gear and gadgets as well.

DSC_0077.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12