Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MT > Glacier National Park

I recently discovered some wonderful YouTube videos of Glacier National Park and now I am hooked. Planning a trip or there in a year or two. However, hammock camping there sounds like it's not the best of options with campsite and Park regulations. Looking at doing the Northern Loop or Kintla to Bowman route.

Does anyone have any experience there and advice or thoughts on hammock hanging Glacier?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Images
    Backpacking or general car touring? You can see amazing things just by day hiking from lodges (and skip sleeping with the grizzlies) ... then have dinner at the lodge!

Example: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/m...-glacier-trail

Definitely backpacking. I like to get away from the crowds as much as possible and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    Quilt
    Images
    A couple of years ago I went backpacking with a couple of guys in the Bob Marshall Wilderness ( to the Chinese Wall ) in early Sept. We used bear vaults to keep food away from sleeping area. We saw plenty of wild life but no bear troubles. I used my ridgerunner hammock and never had a problem.(We were out for 9 days) Snowed on one of the nights. It was a dandy trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridewest View Post
    A couple of years ago I went backpacking with a couple of guys in the Bob Marshall Wilderness ( to the Chinese Wall ) in early Sept. We used bear vaults to keep food away from sleeping area. We saw plenty of wild life but no bear troubles. I used my ridgerunner hammock and never had a problem.(We were out for 9 days) Snowed on one of the nights. It was a dandy trip.
    I've seen a video about exactly that. Also looked like an amazing area (and minus the national park hassles, something I appreciate living near the Smokies myself)... Definitely something to consider!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I spent over a decade working in the wilderness areas adjacent and to the south of Glacier, i.e. Bob Marshall (aka Bog Marshes), Great Bear (before it was the Great Bear), Scapegoat, and Missions before moving south to spend several decades in the Absaroka-Beartooth and Teton Wilderness. My choice was mostly to skip the NPs with their stringent regulations, regulated or mandatory campsites, and crowds. I'd suggest going southward or staying on the perimeter with limited sashays into the NP.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I spent over a decade working in the wilderness areas adjacent and to the south of Glacier, i.e. Bob Marshall (aka Bog Marshes), Great Bear (before it was the Great Bear), Scapegoat, and Missions before moving south to spend several decades in the Absaroka-Beartooth and Teton Wilderness. My choice was mostly to skip the NPs with their stringent regulations, regulated or mandatory campsites, and crowds. I'd suggest going southward or staying on the perimeter with limited sashays into the NP.
    Any recommendations? Only thing I have seen in the Bob Marshall region is the hike to the Chinese Wall - which looked like a great hike.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulkrum78 View Post
    Any recommendations? Only thing I have seen in the Bob Marshall region is the hike to the Chinese Wall - which looked like a great hike.

Chinese wall area is very nice. Go in at Benchmark. Expect to see a number of backpackers on the CDT. Take note of the area along the Chinese wall where camping is off limits. Glacier is a gorgeous place that you will want to visit and do some hikes. There are a lot of places to hang along Hwy 2, up the road toward Hungry Horse reservoir, or the North Fork/Polebridge road.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Chinese wall area is very nice. Go in at Benchmark. Expect to see a number of backpackers on the CDT. Take note of the area along the Chinese wall where camping is off limits. Glacier is a gorgeous place that you will want to visit and do some hikes. There are a lot of places to hang along Hwy 2, up the road toward Hungry Horse reservoir, or the North Fork/Polebridge road.
    I'll make note of that! Thanks!

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulkrum78 View Post
    I recently discovered some wonderful YouTube videos of Glacier National Park and now I am hooked. Planning a trip or there in a year or two. However, hammock camping there sounds like it's not the best of options with campsite and Park regulations. Looking at doing the Northern Loop or Kintla to Bowman route.

Does anyone have any experience there and advice or thoughts on hammock hanging Glacier?

In Glacier you are restricted to designated campsites; I would not count on being able to hang. I would at a minimum carry a ground-dwelling backup option, like a pad and a polychro groundsheet. I have been there for a couple of five-day trips and do not recall seeing any hammock campers.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast