Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    I was a bit surprised to see the note in the OP that, "You must have at least 1 inch tree straps on hammocks and tarps. Anything that hangs on the tree requires tree straps. The majority of the trees are soft white pine with slippery bark" so I reached out to the park. They did confirm that a minimum of 1" tree straps are required even for tarps though they have found that even with 1" straps they are seeing a lot of damage to trees. They also said that they have 2" straps that they will hand out to anyone who wants them though after some further discussions it became clear they are not load bearing straps and should not be used for hammocks (presumably tarps are fine). I never looked for anything that wide but seems like there are at least a couple options from Dutch if anyone feels like picking up something wider if they only have 1" like me.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/2-...-tree-huggers/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/2-...ylene-huggers/

Here are the photos they sent me of the straps they have.

Attachment 179424
    Attachment 179425
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how I can adapt my continuous ridgeline (from Dutchware with wasp and prussic knots) for my tarp to use with the 2" strap. For my hammock, I use cinch buckles with 1" straps. How would I go about adapting those? Just don't want to go ordering yet more or the wrong hammock accessories.
    In other news, I've managed to get the Friday off. Just need to get the dog situated and I'll be there.

UPDATE: Dog will be staying at the groomer's place. I hope to be there Friday mid afternoon. It's a three hour drive from Perham.
    Last edited by mcspin50; 01-30-2020 at 10:30.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Never had to do it before so someone with more experience might come and say this is completely wrong, but my instinct would just be to put the 2" straps around the tree and then tie something like a bowline knot right off the tree. After that the continuous ridge line or 1" cinch buckle straps would just go through the knot instead of around the tree, tighten as normal.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'll probably order 2" straps 3' long or so from AHE, or Dream Hammock if they'll do those instead of their listed 6'. Soft shackle off the loop to the hammock straps, Beckett hitch to the CL on the hammock just like normal.

Tarp on an extra pair of 1" tree straps, RL through the loop on the end of the strap. That should work for a continuous RL as well. Should work with a marlin spike hitch same as a whoopie sling? Better yet, user a carabiner as the toggle and tie off the tarp to that.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I'll probably order 2" straps 3' long or so from AHE, or Dream Hammock if they'll do those instead of their listed 6'. Soft shackle off the loop to the hammock straps, Beckett hitch to the CL on the hammock just like normal.

Tarp on an extra pair of 1" tree straps, RL through the loop on the end of the strap. That should work for a continuous RL as well. Should work with a marlin spike hitch same as a whoopie sling? Better yet, user a carabiner as the toggle and tie off the tarp to that.
    I'm beginning to see it. Went to AHE and ordered two 3' two loop tree straps. Their prices are quite reasonable. Found a 4' pair in the bottom of my hammock bin. I recall now sending my No. 1 Son a set for his hammock for Christmas a year ago, so I must have ordered one set for me. As my dear sweet mother used to say, "My forgetter still sure works good."

I was also thinking I'd bring a pot of chicken wild rice soup (from a Bear Creek mix) and a couple loaves of Oma's Bread (have heard only good things about this new bakery in Wadena). And butter of course. Does that sound like something we could share?

I'm looking forward to this. I've wanted to go to the Minnesota Frozen Butt Hang, but was a little hesitant to commit to being so far away from a warm place to retreat to if I got too cold.
    Last edited by mcspin50; 01-30-2020 at 23:01.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    "My forgetter still sure works good." Words of wisdom right there, just wish it wasn't always so true!!

Soup is a great idea, we can definitely share that! I've found at these hangs to bring less food than you think you need to. More often than not leftovers are being thrown away, or fed to someone's dogs.

Ahh, The Frozen Butt Hang......yeah, it used to be quite the event......

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    I have Thursday and Friday off so the 2 crazies and I will be up there Thursday night, not sure if I will be out hanging that night or moteling it for the night
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hoping to come to this - looks like a beautiful place! But a long drive.
    Thanks Janette for hosting.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY 0* HG 0*
    Suspension
    Hg daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonQueen View Post
    Hey Jenette,

Can't make this one- gotta dance for the Bucks that weekend.

AmazonQueen
    NOOOOOOO!!! LOL I’ll miss you. Are you going to da shack da week before?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY 0* HG 0*
    Suspension
    Hg daisy chain
    Vicki YES! It would be great to see you
    Goobie, I have some extra short straps for your tarp
    Katt I will be up there on Thursday night as well. I may just camp the whole week, I’m not sure yet.
    Everyone else, ONE inch is the minimum, you do not need to buy extra gear. You can always just wrap your straps around twice and it will distribute the load a little bit more. But you DO NEED a strap for everything you plan on adhering to the tree.

Goobie - your plan sounds great... But I don't understand anything you wrote.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast