Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    SilvrSurfr, Lol, some only learn by personal trial and error—always reinventing the wheel.
    That reminds me of the guy who was gonna cold weather hammock with no insulation. He was gonna leave quilts at home and rely on scientific studies of thermogenesis. He was gonna raise his body temperature by ingesting half dozen jalapeño peppers every night...

All in fun, hammocks are great fun
    I had fun with that lie
    Everything worked in theory
    Like my fails to win “Purdy Boil” contest
    I think that last attempt would have worked had it not fell over

Quote Originally Posted by JShep View Post
    For quite some time now I've been toying with the idea of one piece of sleeping insulation gear that can be used in multiple scenarios...
    Interesting one-of-a-kind project.

Off the top of my head, a suggestion or two:

1) Maybe try mocking up a cheap prototype using a couple of poncho liners. I've put snaps and a drawstring on one and made it into a warm weather top quilt, but it's large enough that it could be used as a sleeping bag as well. Poncho liners are cheap enough to buy a couple and experiment with, adding your zipper configuration and just seeing if the thing will transform and fit on and off the hammock as you intend.

2) Look at Jacks R Better and see their Hudson River quilt for a conversion example. With its drawstring and omni tape, it can be configured as a top quilt. Opened up, it's an underquilt, which is nearly half the battle for what you're trying to create. Check out their suspension system for the Hudson River. It's not permanently attached, which is what I believe you're describing. You might be better served with grosgain tabs that could accept a caribiner and shock cord hanging system for the underquilt conversion. While the Hudson River probably isn't wide enough for what you want, something made in a similar manner might be, so maybe you could modify an existing quilt to get what you want, rather than making one from scratch?

3) Again on the modding idea, maybe find a set of sleeping bags that do what you want in terms of zipping together and also zipping up separately, and then modify them to function in underquilt mode? Many folks have made workable underquilts from sleeping bags.

Seems like as a first approximation, you might have some success modifying an existing product to add capabilities that you want.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Interesting one-of-a-kind project.

Off the top of my head, a suggestion or two:

1) Maybe try mocking up a cheap prototype using a couple of poncho liners. I've put snaps and a drawstring on one and made it into a warm weather top quilt, but it's large enough that it could be used as a sleeping bag as well. Poncho liners are cheap enough to buy a couple and experiment with, adding your zipper configuration and just seeing if the thing will transform and fit on and off the hammock as you intend.

2) Look at Jacks R Better and see their Hudson River quilt for a conversion example. With its drawstring and omni tape, it can be configured as a top quilt. Opened up, it's an underquilt, which is nearly half the battle for what you're trying to create. Check out their suspension system for the Hudson River. It's not permanently attached, which is what I believe you're describing. You might be better served with grosgain tabs that could accept a caribiner and shock cord hanging system for the underquilt conversion. While the Hudson River probably isn't wide enough for what you want, something made in a similar manner might be, so maybe you could modify an existing quilt to get what you want, rather than making one from scratch?

3) Again on the modding idea, maybe find a set of sleeping bags that do what you want in terms of zipping together and also zipping up separately, and then modify them to function in underquilt mode? Many folks have made workable underquilts from sleeping bags.

Seems like as a first approximation, you might have some success modifying an existing product to add capabilities that you want.
    Thanks for the input! i've battled with the idea of a mock up for a while now, i personally don't like to take the time to do a mock up, i usually just thoroughly plan, design and execute. HOWEVER, most of my projects aren't this extensive or have this kind of initial investment so i may succumb to a mock up just to be sure my design is solid, it would allow me to fine tune as needed. Luckily the sporting goods store around here sells cheap sleeping bags (~$15) that I could tear apart. this forum is filled with sleeping bag to underquilt threads so theres no shortage of information there. I don't mind making one from scratch, i actually prefer the personal touch. i still haven't narrowed down my material selection just yet though.

Between the Puffle quilt by sierra madre and the hudson river, they both have some similar features to what i'm looking for. With a few changes i think i can make it work fairly well.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Hi,

You mentioned,
    "I'm looking to use 850fp hydrophobic goose down"

I can't recommend this since I haven't used it yet. But I have some down jackets/coats that I'm thinking about usuing this on.

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/product...-1&fabricid=-1

Apparently you can go out fishing on the lake from the comfort of your bed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsV14VrFrwg

The company says that I should try it on my DIY polyester to make a tarp. Since RSBTR doesn't have my design or want to sell outside of electronic accounts I found another source. See my thread in this forum. "Sil Poly..."
    Maybe there's something that will work for both?
    Last edited by Equalizer; 12-28-2019 at 23:25.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    You said,

"As for materials, I tend to sleep pretty warm and may sweat a bit while my wife is just the opposite."

Problem solved

"“Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?”
    Ecclesiastes 4:11

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One member on here had various down bags he slipped inside his Clark hammock under-pockets to be able to vary his temp ranges. Seemed like it worked well for him.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    When I got into hammocks, I also wanted an underquilt that could double as a top quilt - but only to boost my top quilt. My thinking was that if I was too cold in my top quilt, I could go to ground and add the underquilt on top. I did try to use my underquilt as a blanket at home and came to the conclusion that it would work in a pinch, but not very well. The main problem is, that the width of an underquilt is much smaller than of a top quilt. You can make the underquilt extra wide, but that would mean that you are carrying a lot of extra insulation that you don't need in a hammock, and that can actually result in a bad fit. I do have a very light (50°) synthetic Enlightened Equipment top quilt that can be used as an underquilt. But the sides come up quite high in underquilt mode.

You might be able to do something like the Germini underquilt, but it will always be a compromise. A dedicated underquilt and a dedicated top quilt / sleeping bag will always work better than a hybrid.

I also agree with SilvrSurfr that it will be a pretty uncomfortable night in the hammock without a top quilt / sleeping bag / blanket / ... unless it's very hot. Have you ever tried sleeping with just a down jacket at the temperatures you are expecting to see? If you did, and if it worked, it will probably work in the hammock as well. If you usually need more insulation, you're going to need more insulation in the hammock as well.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

I'm looking to use 850fp hydrophobic goose down, i'm 6'4 and my wife 5'10 and I need these "bags" to be ~15 deg. This adds up to a lot of down approx $500-$600 worth, the high cost is partly why I don't want to make separate bags and quilts for each individual scenario.
    $500-$600 worth of down? Holy Moley! How much down are you in the market for?

Not sure if you know about us but we created our business to aid MYOG / DIY Enthusiasts with the high cost of down. We can get you out the door for less than what you are currently getting quoted at now .. We would love to help if you see fit.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    For quite some time now I've been toying with the idea of one piece of sleeping insulation gear that can be used in multiple scenarios. For example, something that can be used as an underquilt, or taken off and zipped up as a sleeping bag when a hang is not appropriate. My wife and I do a lot of backpacking and camping together so I would like something with opposite zippers so the two "bags" can be zipped together and thrown on an air mattress for a queen size sleeping bag. These three requirements are what i'm primarily after but if it was at all possible to go one step further and separate the underquilt and configure it as a top quilt for use with a ground pad that would be even better, but this is probably the least used sleeping arrangement, so if it over complicates things it'll be the first to go.
    Has anyone seen such a design that's still effective as both an underquilt and a sleeping bag? I've seen a few on amazon and such but the designs look terrible. I haven't used an underquilt with my hammock just yet (we live in Texas and it just hasn't gotten cold enough on a trip yet to need it) but my wife and I are planning a 9 day BP trip through rocky mountain NP for 2020 and it will be necessary then. Thus, i'm not sure exactly how my wife or I would like it set up, however I figured the fabric is significantly cheaper than the down so if i don't like the design or configuration I can always start over with new fabric and just re-use the fill. My wife and I are avid DIY'ers and have a number of sewing projects from hammocks to garments under our belts so i'm fairly confident we can handle such a task.
    As for the design....
    Since these would be used for backpacking weight and pack size is a bit of a concern, however we are currently packing old 5lb & 5.5lb synthetic fill 30 deg bags so just about anything would be lighter than this. My "bag" will get used about 60% of the time as a sleeping bag while my wife's will be used more as an underquilt. Since I would like these to zip together for a queen size double sleeping bag they would need to be the same length, and also width since our hammocks are both the same width. This being said, i'm looking at an 80" x 72" rectangle with ~2-2.5" tall baffle & 10-15% over stuff. I'm thinking two separating zippers, one for the long side and then one 36" long for the foot end the would be zipped only in the sleeping bag configuration. On the foot and head end, is a sewn channel with an adjustable elastic chord running through (this would be below the zipper on the foot end), the elastic would be wrapped around the ends of the hammock and adjusted to control airflow. Sewn to the channel would be a series of buttons to allow for a clew to be set up in the underquilt configuration. I would also include a removable hood that can be zippered on for sleeping bag, or removed and worn independently in a hammock.
    I've been using the calculator provided by CatSplat, Provided by https://ripstopbytheroll.zendesk.com...my-underquilt- which gets me approx 15 degrees with a 2.25" baffle height and around 30oz total weight (i'm expecting more like 40oz once the zippers and cordage are added in). However, this is just a reference guide so can anyone validate its accuracy with regards to temperature rating? It looks like its assuming just a modified rectangular baffle design, which i don't plan to use.
    As for materials, I tend to sleep pretty warm and may sweat a bit while my wife is just the opposite. So I will need something very breathable and soft for the inner shell and my wife something still soft but maybe a bit less breathable. I'm not sure which would be better, Nylon or Polyester based, but i'm considering Argon 67/90 or Ion from dutch or HyperD or one of the Membrane products from RipstopByTheRoll. can anyone speak to these materials for their softness & breath-ability? For the outer shell, i'm considering something a little heavier to handle the wear and tear, possibly Argon 90? Ideally i'd like something that can be waterproofed around the ends or at least shed water fairly well. For the baffle wall materials, i'm going as light as possible, probably a 0.5oz noseeum.
    I realize this is a'lot of questions for one post but what can I say, its my first quilt and i want to get it right! thanks in advance for any help / insight!
    So first off I have not seen a design posted but I have seen these pictured - a rectangular quilt that can snap, or be drawn, or perhaps velcro'd, together in a number of configurations that would allow for top coverage, and given the correct hardware I would assume the under quilt part would actually be easier as it is prettry straight forward if you have a rectangle to work with. One thought I have unfortunately is that unless the UQ is shaped you are inherently looking at gaps and cold spots and this configuration would not be ideal in colder weather.
    Also, I don't think you want zippers on these as this hardware is not only heavy but detrimental for the delicate fabrics and materials that are used with hammocks (noseeum being one I can think of right away).
    Down is an entirely different beast when making gear as well. I haven't really played with it too much aside from converting a mummy bag to and underquilt, but I can tell you from that brief experience it wasn't as straight forward as it appeared it would be. Sure you can "deconstruct" your work and re-use th fill but I gotta say $40 is $40 bucks and I for one wouldn't go that route considering costs right now. That is your savings right there. Yes you heard that correctly. I think you would only be looking at a $40 savings on materials and you making it vs paying to have this made.
    Making gear is fun and addictive. Making gear under the gun to go on a trip - at least for me - not nearly the fun it sounded. Compile that with the responsibility of the guy making the gear that is going to sustain you or fail you...........Not for me.

Good luck.
    I recommend as well checking out her website. I think she is a great resource for sewing as well as tutorial footage and her name is Jellyfish. Her YT channel is listed below;
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCis...Hk0hyKBcdsckZw
    Nothing down yet but I am tackling a synthetic UQ for -10* here in a bit. If I can help let me know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    Hi,

You mentioned,
    "I'm looking to use 850fp hydrophobic goose down"

I can't recommend this since I haven't used it yet. But I have some down jackets/coats that I'm thinking about usuing this on.

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/product...-1&fabricid=-1
    I use quite a bit of nikwax's products, usually more as a refresher than an attempt to coat from the start. I'm a bit nervous using it on a brand new underquilt since i'd have to machine wash it right off the bat, and if anything goes wrong i've just destroyed my investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    You said,

"As for materials, I tend to sleep pretty warm and may sweat a bit while my wife is just the opposite."

Problem solved

"“Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?”
    Ecclesiastes 4:11
    No truer words have been spoken!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast