My new DIY bridge dumped me on the ground

I used a kit & made it from the hikingdad videos. The kevlar webbing tore at the hardware attachment, not the stitching. Ideas to replace the broken loop? I apparently can't attach photos on phone

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    I'm sorry that happened to you. A similar thing happened to me, though I wasn't using kevlar webbing, only the regular polyester stuff. Over a few months' time, the fitting attached to it to hold the spreader bars apart ate through the webbing loop.

Short term fix: Should be simple enough to sew another webbing loop over the failed one. Smoothing the corners of the fitting might help.

Longer term solution: Still working on an amsteel arrangement that will serve the fitting's function. I'm not much of a DIYer, so it's taking a lot of time. When I've got something worked out, I hope my beloved will make me another bridge, wider than the kit one, and maybe not as long.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    That sucks for both of you.

Ditch the hardware- https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwhMRh...pWcFg?e=cyieoe
    You can direct attach the pole by girth hitching the dogbones to the webbing itself.

In the meantime- talk to whomever sold you the hardware. Barring operator error on your part somehow; Sounds like they did a bad job finishing the webbing slot and the hardware cut the webbing.

Only other thing that can happen- Kevlar is difficult to heat seal or finish after cutting it. So you either have to fold it over or otherwise secure it after cutting. But that would be more obvious as the problem as the webbing itself unravels rather than splits.

Either way- hate to say it but you can't really seam rip that out in my experience as it tends to fail down the line. Bridges tend to be a 'get it right or don't' project.
    Nualle's idea of sewing another loop over what you have is probably the most realistic chance of saving it but if the hardware is the issue I would request a replacement kit.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Ouch. Sorry to hear this. This along with many other reasons (ie no skills) is why I do not DIY .

My vendor (Dutch) made it right. I'm going with a gathered end hammock. Thanks for the advice. Everything else has been great. I've made two winter tarps, two sets of snakeskins and a pack cover from his kits.

• + New Posts