Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Here is a thread showing another way to hang from one tree. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ng-Poles/page4
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    The Siberian Hitch is what you want to keep the cord centered on the pole on both sides. See Peter Friebel in Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57I_HLsEnbc

Why would someone want to use one tree + a pole on occasions when there are plenty of good trees?

I do this on my property at the edges of my fields. My woods are large ash, maple, and cherry. I'm squeamish about tent or hammock camping under many places there except in certain places where the loggers left more open areas away from large overhanging limbs about fifteen years ago. And huge limbs do fall in my woods, and not just when the leaves are out or in windstorms. A young girl died in her tent, a church group in PA not far from here when a limb came down on her in the night.

So I use one of my DIY conduit poles as the freestander and a smaller younger tree at the edge of the fields, to lessen the chance of any limb falling on me. Plus I get a nice view of sunsets or sunrises and the animals and stars. That's why. I like hammocking in the open and with a grand view. Same with my house.

Some time back I made a DIY strong portable two-pole "hang anywhere on dirt" setup, using two cords as the outriggers per pole, making two 60-60-60 degree tripods, using EMT conduit for the poles and Amsteel cordage. And two of these heavy stakes per pole for the cord outriggers.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't use a knot on these poles as I predrilled them to take hitch pins and just insert one pin per pole at the proper heights for a particular hang, and slip a CL over the top of the pole down onto the horizontal pin. A drill bit smooth shaft from a long bit cut down, or even a strong phillips screwdriver with round shaft works also.

Incidentally, if the soil is soft such that the pole, whatever it is, might sink much further, dig a small hole and line it with some stones to halt any further penetration.

For movable easiest,out in the middle of the fields, or in the open spaces -- I have three of these fail-safe steel stands. They come in 12 and 15 feet lengths.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hope this helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12