Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I still say that 20$ insurance. I replace one if I think it may have frozen.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thanks everybody
    I got a new filter today
    This is what I like about Hammock Forums
    Lots of smart hammock campers
    Good information
    Happy New Year

Hammock
    Treem Bridge
    Tarp
    Winter Haven iPole
    Insulation
    Pad + Bag
    Suspension
    SpiPol AL Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

Can you only use a Sawyer water filter on water that is 32* F or warmer? How come water that is in liquid form (i.e., not ice) that is below 32* F that is flowing will flow through the filter, but it theoretically doesn't damage the filter?

Then you get into the idea of nucleation, which says that water can remain in a liquid state below freezing until it is "disturbed." The common example is putting a bottle of water in the freezer, then you pull it out, slam it on the table and the water turns to ice.

https://www.thermofisher.com/blog/bi...th-nucleation/

From what I can gather, you shouldn't use the Sawyer filter on water that is below 32* F. That's all I know.
    Interesting article!

My sense of all of this is that water that is liquid isn't frozen and won't hurt the filter.

In general it seems water freezes close to freezing temp (homogenous nucleation) or with help from pressurized shock or additives/impurities in the water (heterogeneous nucleation if I'm following), etc.

But remember, water expands both as a gas and as a solid. It is that expansion that damages the filter. So if the water you use is liquid, it is not expanded and will not damage the filter unless you let the used and now wet filter get cold enough for the water molecules left behind in the filter to freeze. Or perhaps it if is simply so very cold that the liquid freezes AS it is passing through the filter, which means you're prolly better off melting snow for water and liquid water is scarce anyway.

So to keep it from freezing just keep the filter near body heat like in an inside pocket when not in use. When you use it on liquid water it should be fine, when you stop using it keep it warm, and following this practice should preserve its integrity.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I got a new filter
    While camping this past weekend, I kept filter in pocket constantly when not in use Some mornings were below freezing
    When I got home, backflushed forcefully with very warm water
    And front flushed same way
    And backflushed again with warm water

Then backflushed forcefully with air
    And front flushed with air
    Then backflushed with air

When air was used, quite a bit of water came out
    I don’t use sanitizers, don’t like the smell of most of those products

Germs and molds grow best in moist environments Maybe by reducing available water, germ and mold growth is reduced

And I’m considering doing something along these lines with cold and filtered water while on camping trips
    And doing final flushes with air in both directions, in hopes of reducing amount of water inside filter available to reduce chances of freeze damage due to expansion by water as it becomes ice inside filter All the while keeping it warm in my pocket while not in use

Your thoughts
    Phantom good idea?
    Or Phantom superstitious ideas not based on facts?
    Or even further, I’ve now possibly damaged filter with my unproven ideas, and need to buy a third filter, and leave experimentation to the pros in more controlled environments and actual microscopic and other fact based testing

I ask because, there are some smart, capable minds here Thanks

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe final backflushing and front flushing with air could leave smaller amounts of water than normal and smaller amounts might freeze first, like frost on grass as opposed to a pond

There might be other ways2keep from freezing water filter
    Maybe final filtering could be done with saltwater, salt fully mixed in water with no salt sitting on bottom—not sure of scientific description It might be less likely to freeze

Another way would be to run some vodka through filter as last step Vodka could sit in filter and resist freezing

If caught by Forest Rangers with vodka in a No Alcohol campground, you could say “ We are hammock campers, Would you join us4 coffee!
    We will squirt this filter into our alcohol stoves and have you a mug of java in no time”

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like the sound of the "anti-freeze" idea, LOL. And it might just work!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I have had excellent results over the years by just vigorously shaking after use to remove most of the water in the field

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    It's not the cold that's the problem. You could take a brand new unused one outside in sub zero weather and it would be fine. It's once water is introduced. Water expands when frozen and cracks the filter.
    Yup, water expands when frozen, cracking the filter. Get a new one and chalk it up to trail lesson learned.
    BTW, if it gets cold enough, Aqua Mira will freeze and its container can crack and then leak and then lose its contents. Guess how I found that out?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daeluin View Post
    My sense of all of this is that water that is liquid isn't frozen and won't hurt the filter.
    I come to a different conclusion simply because I have seen a bottle of "liquid" water that remained liquid until someone slammed the bottle on a hard surface and it turned into a solid block of ice. So if it's 20* F outside and your bottle of water looks like it's in a liquid state, just slam it against a rock and it will turn into solid ice. And that's what is going through your Sawyer filter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’m late to the party;

The filter will still function but there could be cracks in the microfiber membrane inside the filter, rendering it less that fully functional.

There is no way to check to see if it still works, unless getting sick counts.

Personally, I’d get another filter. Consider this a good reason to replace the mini with the much less awful full size

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast