Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images

Yosemite Trip

Planning to backpack in Yosemite NP in Aug-Sept 2020. Looking at the 10 Lakes area. Is anyone familiar with area. Hoping to Hammock camp with my two sons and catch some fish. I am hoping someone might have some information about this area. Thanks.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    No info about that specific area but I would offer the obvious suggestions to bring bear spray for everyone, keep your food in an Ursack or bear can and hang that at least 100' away from, and down wind from your camp site.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    No info about that specific area but I would offer the obvious suggestions to bring bear spray for everyone, keep your food in an Ursack or bear can and hang that at least 100' away from, and down wind from your camp site.
    Pretty sure bear spray is prohibited in Yosemite. Also don’t think Ursacks are approved for use.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Bear cans for the win. Hate the **** things, but unfortunately necessary for the smart bears in Yosemite.

Don’t know what suspension you’re planning on using, but some of those conifers are huge. I used 8’ tree straps and whoopies, and sometimes that was tight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow (Double)
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    I have the Ligher1 and the lil' Sam. Both have worked great in the Smokys. I see they are on the list. I did not realize that bear spray was not allowed. I do have long straps 12`x 1". I will have to check to see what my son's have. They are just getting into hammock camping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Dutch Print USA!
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    I have hammock camped 6 different years in Yosemite. 2018 was my last year out there and unfortunately couldnÂ’t even get into Yosemite due to the fires. Ended up in Kings canyon though and thoroughly enjoyed it! Definitely bring big straps. Bear canisters are mandatory and youÂ’ll get an ear full from other hikers if they see you hanging food (learned this the hard way). Definitely plan for cold nights. I showed up the first year like more Floridians IÂ’m sure expecting warm nights and nearly died of exposure in Tuolumne. IÂ’ve done the White Wolf to Tenya Lake and I promise you unless you are acclimated to 10k foot elevation, do yourself a favor and spend your first night in White Wolf (assuming youÂ’re going west to East) just getting used to the elevation. I took me twice as long to hike the trail as I had originally planned. The first five miles will be over 2,000 feet of elevation gain and youÂ’ll still have one more pass after that before getting to the lake. I donÂ’t say it to discourage you but to help you plan. ItÂ’s not like climbing 2k feet on the east coast lol! We saw black bears every day on that trail and remember they are generally brown in color which freaked me out the first morning I had one wander into our camp. I felt like a suspended burrito in my WB XLC! The views are epic though and definitely it lesser traveled trail for Yosemite. If you havenÂ’t download Gaia make sure to do that and itÂ’ll be a great way to plan your hike.

I donÂ’t want to give you a bunch of info on traveling into the park in case youÂ’re also familiar with travel into California but if youÂ’d like some tips on getting from the airport to the park and how to get back to your vehicle after the hike let me know and IÂ’ll be happy to share more information with you.

In the meantime, here is a video link of a hammock trip I took in the Sierras. Might help you plan for your trip a little bit. Remember, pack light then take more stuff out of your pack!

https://youtu.be/oBM_W1iS9MU
    "Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!"
    -Captain Henry P. Crowe, USMC

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow (Double)
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the help. I am used to packing light as I am working on the Appalachian Trail. Do you use a gopro? Nice Video.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Take a peek at these links but these are several links to *Bear Managment - *Food Storage - *General Practices

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/natur...management.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...rcanisters.htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raggydoo View Post
    Pretty sure bear spray is prohibited in Yosemite. Also don’t think Ursacks are approved for use.
    I was told that the ursack was fine for Yosemite. I hope that was the case, because that's what I used!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast