DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Costco Throw - tell me what you know

I've been thinking of buying a costco down throw to add maybe 15 degrees to my current system. I'm in Georgia and a 20 degree system is good for most of the year but up in the mountains in the coldest part of winter the 20 degree top and bottom quilt I have wont quite do it.

Anyhow, I know a warm hat and socks and merino wool long underwear will give me 10 degrees but the question is what to expect from the costco down throw. I've been camping and backpacking for 45 years (many in upstate new york and PA in single digits) and know how to stay warm. But the costco down throw looks like a great deal to get me from 20 F to maybe 10F or even 5F. What has it done for you?

Should work. You need to add/attach it so it does not compress. Also seam ripping either the horizontal or vertical seams helps get better loft and warmth. Generally ripping the horizontal seams is the way to go, but it depends on the direction of the insulation on your UQ.

I made my underquilt in a way that I can layer multiple CDQ's. I have taken a three layer down to zero F. I have taken a two layer down to 18 F. That was on the edge.

I think you should easily get 10 to 15 degrees. Also, you might look to add an underquilt protector. It has made a huge difference in my setup by keeping the wind from sucking the heat out of the underquilt.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    You’d have no problem getting an extra 10-15* by layering a CDT with a standard UQ. Mind you, the Costco throws are 3/4ish length so your feet might be a little unprotected. I typically put the Costco quilts right against the hammock and my “real” insulation over it so as not to compress the stuff that I expect to do most of the work.

I made a CDT into a top quilt using KAM snaps and use it like a TQ liner/insert (also for my warmer weather TQ) and that definitely extends a TQ range.

A few weeks ago was outside (in PA) on a breezy night that was around 20 and I was very warm as follows:
    CDT UQ & TQ
    Hammock Gear 20* Econ Burrow & Incubator
    Merino wool top & mid-weight fleece
    Synthetic long johns (no other bottoms)
    No socks
    Heavy knit hat
    I don’t like to be cold. I was not in the least.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    So, I have a couple of questions. 1) Is the costco down throw sewn through - I would guess that for the price it is? 2) Am I better off with the throw as a top quilt or a bottom quilt? I had planned to buy it and take it with me - no sewing or mods. I was going to use one and give the other to my daughter. 3) how do most people use the costco down throw and/or modify it?

It really doesn't get that cold here and I sleep warmer than most, but for me a 20F top and 20F bottom quilt isn't quite warm enough for the coldest weather here.

Based on my experience, I would add it as an underquilt. You can add clothing layers to keep warm on top. If you get cold from the bottom, you are done for.

To make it work right, though, I think you should add cam snaps to the CDQ and your underquilt and snap them together. I agree that the CDQ should go on the hammock side. It is sewn through in a chekerboard pattern. You can seam rip the horizontal seams to get better lofting and performance. Lots of threads on how to do this.

Images
    Adding a blanket to top and bottom will be a 20-30 degree boost over your regular gear. Laying CDTs with regular quilts works very well for very cheap.

Depending on what sort of underquilt you have and how tight it is, you might be able to just stuff it between your current quilt and the hammock. This might require some mini binder clips to keep it from bunching up, but no sewing required.

For the top quilt, just wrap it around you, then pull your regular quilt over it. CDTs make a great interior booster. Again no sewing required.

If you want to go to the next step, then i would:

1) DEFINITELY rip out the short seams to fluff up the blanket. This is a 1-2 hour project that will easily add 10 degrees.

2) Add a top quilt footbox, like Jellyfish does here. I use my footbox'd quilt around the house more than in the field. You can also just sew it up.

3) For the underquilt, if you want ultimate stacking versatility, consider adding a suspension to the CDT as documented here. It also turns it into a warm weather underquilt in its own right.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’ve used the Gemini setup described in the DIY section to take a 20* top quilt down to 2*. Worked extremely well.

As Lenovia mentioned, at the very least ripping the short seams make a big difference.

But yes, you should be able to get 15* (or more) from layering a CDT with your current system.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    If you have to pick a top quilt or undrquilt, undrquilt all the way...you can always put more on top but if your butt's cold...bad news.

I’ve seen the use of mini binder clips mentioned before but never tried it. Certainly would not require sewing/modding the quilt. But adding suspension seems to be best. Will allow you to use in other seasons and also maybe get better performance if it's separate from other undrquilt.

I used these instructions

https://www.exploreserac.com/make-un...quilt-6-steps/

Some sewing required but essentially running channels of ribbon along each side and adding shock cord to suspend it and then cinch it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps

Costco Throw - tell me what you know

I’ve used unmodified CDTs just laid over top of my sleeping bag as a quilt. Hard to quantify how much they add when used this way. Sometimes I feel like they’ve only added *maybe* 10°F, but I’ve also used 2 of them with a 40° bag (and a bunch of clothes) to get down to -10°...

They are a nice tool to have in the box. Here’s a few links to several tests & write-ups I’ve done.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Slighty contrarian here:
    I have several... lov'em to death. I use one on the couch and sleep nights under one all summer. You NEED! to have at least one.
    I ripped seams on one and couldn't tell the difference.
    I always just add a drawstring foot box... sew a loop on the bottom-foot of your real TQ and you can pass the strings of the CDT through to secure it in place.
    As they are 60x70 [ot thereaboutz], I would use it outside my TQ so that it can tuck under alongside. Two KamSnapz at the top corners of your TQ ought to do it.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast