Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ

differences between under quilt manufacturers.

I was watching a recent video on the tube's where part of the video was a quick overview of UGQ stuff and noticed that the under quilt seems almost the exact same as the ones i own from hammock gear. The only difference is that the hammock gear one has a bit more of a pronounced head and feet end to it. This made me think, I wonder who came up with the design first? I mean, the long baffles, draft collars, primary and secondary suspension, along with a sinch chord. I havnt been around long enough to really know who the first designers were....anyone know who the pioneer was? I personally buy my stuff from hammock gear, but that is because they were my first try at the cottage industry and was more than impressed by there perfect customer service. To be honest I never even compared to other cottage venders, just to the typically EE quilts everyone else seemed to have.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    HG was making them before UGQ. Both great quality, but they were first out of the two.

As for who 1st made them w/"vertical" baffles like HG, I'm not sure if it was them or Warbonnet. HG made their style of suspension 1st, if I recall correctly.

Jacks R Better made the 1st UQ's on the scene.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    HG was making them before UGQ. Both great quality, but they were first out of the two.

As for who 1st made them w/"vertical" baffles like HG, I'm not sure if it was them or Warbonnet. HG made their style of suspension 1st, if I recall correctly.

Jacks R Better made the 1st UQ's on the scene.
    I think that is correct about JRB, with the possible exception of- at about the same time- Speer was making the Pea Pod. Which is still an UQ, just with a TQ built in and both big enough to wrap around the hammock. Speer writes in his book- that goes way back- about getting his Pea Pod idea when his freezing buddy got the idea to wrap his sleeping bag around the hammock on one of his trips. But I can't say for sure who was first.

Actually, there MIGHT be one other that beat both of them by a little: What AHE used to be called- but I think it was DIY then- the Kick *** Quilt or KAQ. It is possible that is the first one I heard of, but I'm not at all sure. All were close to about the same time.

I love this hammock history. I was on hand to witness a lot of it as it was happening, but I wish I had written it down because years later I am starting to forget who did what first.

One more: the dif cut UQ, who was first? Seems to me that both JRB(with the Mount Washington UQ) and WB(with the synthetic Yeti) came out with that at right about the same time. But I guess one was technically first, and I can't remember who. The time was right about 2007 for that advance. I still have one of the first Yetis, with removable layers of Climashield and a differential cut so it could be pulled snug without compressing the loft, and it still works great. ( I also got a dif cut JRB MWUQ for my JRB bridge near the same time)

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    But then didnt Speer make his Snugfit UQ about the same time he made the PeaPod? Of which I wish someone would start making both those quilts again. I foolishly let both of mine go. They were top notch!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    You can find the book by Ed Speer used on Amazon if you’re interested…

Hammock Camping: The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0971859442/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    But then didnt Speer make his Snugfit UQ about the same time he made the PeaPod? Of which I wish someone would start making both those quilts again. I foolishly let both of mine go. They were top notch!
    Pea Pod was first, in a variety of temp ranges and both down and synthetic, but the Snugfit came along not too much later. I also wish some one would start making both of those again, as it is obvious by now that the one who took over for Speer is no longer in business and ha not been for quite a while. So f there are no legal issues, I wish some one would start making a Pea Pod. Maybe even a dif cut one that could either be snugged up firmly to the back, or left loose for adding more insulation. Mine 20F Pea Pod only weighed 42 oz, and TTTG (who took over for Speer) only claimed 36 oz. (obviously the wider/longer Polar Pod was a bit heavier).

Two full length 20F quilts(TQ + UQ) are going to weigh more than that, though the TQ might be a bit warmer if there are gaps on top with the pod. But still, guaranteed no drafts with the pod and if you add clothing or the lightest possible TQ, it's going to be as warm or a whoe lot warmer than a 20F TQ. So, that is a lot of draft free warmth for the weight. If they had simply been available, I probably would have bought another one by now.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Not to get too far off topic, since we have a good bit nestalgia going on in here, which I love. But as far as pod systems in general go, I love my outdoor vitals pod setup. VERY well done. Really dont care for the rest of their stuff, especially since its made over seas, but i have to admit i still love the pod setup.

• + New Posts