Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Prussik loops work best when their line diameter is smaller than the line on which they are gripping.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL

Amsteel as Tarp Ridgeline with truckers hitch??

I’ve iterated on my old solid core nylon ridgeline considerably. I created two new ~50’ tarp ridgelines (mostly dealing with large trees in the sierras), one out of 7/64 Amsteel, the other 1.75 Lash-It. I’ll mention some pros and cons with each, and honestly it’s a toss up as to whether one is better.

Both feature a spliced hook on one end, and an Alienloop or Wasp on the other. Each line is finished with a self hurried end splice. Both are also using the same 1.75 Zing-It continuous loops with prussiks and mitten hooks.

1.75 Lash-It
    This is a common line used my many, and we’re all familiar with it. It weighs about nothing, and has a lot of strength.
    Weight: 0.9oz

Pros
    - Little to no weight, and winds up very small
    - Wasp works very well as a tensioner on the line

Cons
    - 1.75 lines for prussiks don’t hold as well as on larger diameter line as we know, and a smaller diameter would be better against the 1.75
    - Thinner line is a little more finicky than larger diameter lines (alternatively easier to potentially pull and tie off)
    - a bit more sag in the line compared to the Amsteel

7/64 Amsteel
    Typically used in suspension, and arguably overkill for a tarp ridgeline, it’s still an extremely lightweight option.
    Weight: 3.0oz

Pros
    - Feels just as light as the Lash-It, maybe a couple ounces heavier but still very lightweight for the strength
    - Doesn’t sag as much as Lash-It (for me at least)
    - sometimes easier to grab ahold and really tighten up
    - Alienloop is just as easy as the Wasp
    - Potential to hang more from this line versus the Lash-It

Cons
    - Bulkier than Lash-It by a lot (triple the size rolled up or more)
    - 3oz versus 0.9oz in overall weight

Summary
    You can’t go wrong with either of these. I’d argue the Amsteel is better because it can have the potential to protect from a falling branch, but that’s a slim margin of something falling ON the line. You can potentially hang items from the Amsteel easier than the Lash-It. The Alienloop is nice, equal to the Wasp IMHO. So it’s a tossup from me, and really comes down to bulk. But both fit in my tarp bag so that’s a moot point as well.

Size comparison between 50’ of 7/64 Amsteel versus 1.75 Lash-It, both with hardware attached.

Last edited by stebesplace; 06-09-2020 at 23:15.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That’s a nice setup. Completely understand your 50 ft line. For years I’ve carried a 50ft hank of PMI utility cord (2.5mm) because of BTP (Big Tree Potential).

Where did you get your Amsteel clip? Could you please give a close up of how your wrap your Alien or link to a YouTube video - what you used to learn how to wrap it.

One little finesse is your line orientation coming off a tree. As I had always done, it looks like you are coming off from the center of the tree. That puts more stress on the Dutch Hook and line - though I’m sure it’s well within its engineered limits. I’ve started coming off the side of the tree and there is much less stress on the gear/hook. It’s important for me because I have some mitten hook type clips but they are metal - probably light aluminum. I took the “keeper” wire off so the mouth is open - like a dutch hook. Because I don’t know its limits, I string it with the least about of force.

One of our vendors (DutchWare, WB, JRB, etc.) sells those metal mitten clips. Take the wire closure off and it functions just like a Dutch Hook but for larger line. Maybe later I can post before/after photo of the “hook” I’m trying to describe. If someone with more curiosity also owns some, perhaps they can test one to find out how much force (weight) it will take before it deforms.

A while back some of us were lucky to snag a 600 ft roll of 7/64 Amsteel. Your post encourages at least on “Super” tarp ridge line.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Where did you get your Amsteel clip? Could you please give a close up of how your wrap your Alien or link to a YouTube video - what you used to learn how to wrap it.
    Thanks! I’ve taken some close ups of the wrap. I saw this technique on YouTube a long time ago, can’t remember who showed it, but out of the 3-4 techniques, this is by far my favorite.

The first ‘catch’ is to take the line around the tree and bring it under the line going to the other tree and and position it between the Alienloop and the main line. It’ll kind of snap in. Pull that tight to get your line taut. Then wrap around medium loop also between loop and line, will exhibit a slight snap as well. Then repeat 2-3 times and finish either with a slippery along tree line or let hang down. The tension on the main line keeps the loop tight so no chance of it coming undone.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wow! Great photos. I’m guessing there will be a few more orders for that loop today. I knew HG had a loop alien kit. They make a feature of adding 20 ft of LashIt “For Free” - which is not nothing. But 20 ft is a little skimpy. I saw they are the ones who also have that TI clip on the other end.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-13-2020 at 16:41.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Wow! Great photos. I’m guessing there will be a few more orders for that loop today. I knew HG had a loop alien kit. They make a feature of adding 20 ft of LashIt “For Free” - which is not nothing. But 20 ft is a little skimpy. I saw they are the ones who also have that TI clip on the other end.
    Yup, I ended up with a few of those Ti clips and the Ti Alienloop XL from them. All in all it’s a great setup for a really burly ridgeline. One thing I will say, and I confirmed this while setting up today, when you do your first pull and tie off, you want to actually put some weight (your body) on the line. It stretches the Amsteel out some, and then you can retighten back up. It’s easy, just remember to do it. At first I thought the other day I didn’t have tension in my loop, but I tried again and the same issue happened.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64

LoopAlien Tie Off

Best video I've found to tie off the adjustable end of the LoopAlien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_My...ature=emb_logo
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I could anchor one end to a Ponderosa, the other end to the jeep, and pre-stretch the ridge line. 'course with the jeep I’d have to pick a pretty healthy Ponderosa

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123