Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images

Amsteel as Tarp Ridgeline with truckers hitch??

I have a question....
    I would like to use my leftover amsteel as the ridgeline for my silnylon tarp.
    Could I use a truckers hitch in the line to cinch it tight like I do with my reflective Night-Ize ridgeline cordage?

Breaking strength of the Amsteel blue I bought is 1600lbs, so even at a 30% strength rating due to using knots...I'd end up with 480lbs of strength to hold my tarp up against heavy winds from tree to tree.

It sounds like it should work. The only issue being the Truckers Hitch I'd be tying in the middle of it to hold the second side down.
    I dunno...I could use a Figure-9 on the line like I do with my Night-Ize ridgeline, but I'm concerned the teeth on the figure-9 will chew up the amsteel.

I'm really only using the old amsteel because I can't find any more Nite-Ize Reflective ridgeline cordage in stores and the wife has put a temporary holiday trade-embargo between our house and Amazon.com.
    Using paracord is out of the question...the only other cordage I have is bank-line and Amsteel Blue.
    I trust the Amsteel Blue more than I do the bankline...which I've only ever used to tie up firewood and building tripods for cooking outdoors.

opinions??

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For sure you can. Video below shows it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Tarp lines do not need to be strong. If you are tying knots, Amsteel is entirely the wrong choice for this: it is slippery and not intended for knot tying. I would consider this a waste of Amsteel.

I have been using 3/16" white nylon from Walmart for the last 4 years. Paid $1.50 total. Works great. Holds knots. Easily replaced.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    While the trucker's hitch has quite a few points that weaken the cord, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a tarp ridgeline with 7/64 Amsteel. I would consider making a bunch of soft shackles (which I always seem to need more of) or Evo Loops before "wasting" it on a ridgeline. It's overkill. As a result it will work fine. A side benefit might be that prussicks made from zing-it or lash-it may grip better on the larger cord.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Tarp lines do not need to be strong. If you are tying knots, Amsteel is entirely the wrong choice for this: it is slippery and not intended for knot tying. I would consider this a waste of Amsteel.

I have been using 3/16" white nylon from Walmart for the last 4 years. Paid $1.50 total. Works great. Holds knots. Easily replaced.

Whaaaaaaaaaat!! No way!!!
    Omg...I have been thinking about this waaay too hard if that's the case.
    I will just use some bank line lol...

hahahhaahaha thank you

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    While the trucker's hitch has quite a few points that weaken the cord, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a tarp ridgeline with 7/64 Amsteel. I would consider making a bunch of soft shackles (which I always seem to need more of) or Evo Loops before "wasting" it on a ridgeline. It's overkill. As a result it will work fine. A side benefit might be that prussicks made from zing-it or lash-it may grip better on the larger cord.
    Oh okay! that's good news!
    I always attach the tarp to the ridgeline cordage with prussik knots so I can slide it around and tighten the tarp to where I need it on the 40 foot line. If bankline prussiks will grip on the amsteel that would be PERFECT!!
    (Yes I use a 40 foot tarp ridgeline...it's so that I can place the tarp between two far trees if I have to. I do my straps the same way...20 ft on each side...custom from Warbonnet hehe)

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Oh okay! that's good news!
    I always attach the tarp to the ridgeline cordage with prussik knots so I can slide it around and tighten the tarp to where I need it on the 40 foot line. If bankline prussiks will grip on the amsteel that would be PERFECT!!
    (Yes I use a 40 foot tarp ridgeline...it's so that I can place the tarp between two far trees if I have to. I do my straps the same way...20 ft on each side...custom from Warbonnet hehe)
    Wow, you must be tall or pack a step ladder
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    For sure you can. Video below shows it.
    Shug

Thanks Shug!
    That's the perfect info I need for this new tarp...it has panel pulls!
    I'm gonna be hanging in luxury now!

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Wow, you must be tall or pack a step ladder
    Hehehe...I'm not too tall. But I like being able to hang between long distances endpoints. After a trip out west to California, I learned the trees are a lot thicker/wider there than the trees I'm used to here on the east coast.
    I figured I'd better be prepared for that rather than be taken by surprise again.
    The 40ft ridgeline tarp cordage allows for a normal distance hang between two thicker trees. Just as the two 20ft hammock straps allow for either long distance hangs or short distance hangs from thicker trees/poles/objects.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Images
    Datman
    Yes. I use 1/8 Amsteel as a tarp ridge line with trucker hitch to get it tight. Someone said it was over kill and they are correct. I have used paracord (too much stretch) and Zingit ( hurts my hands). The 1/8 will damage tree so I put a 3/4D fabric tube about 12” long over the rope on both ends to protect the trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast