Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    She said she was a space alien �� lol

IMG_20191220_160836.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Kinda reminds me of Kenny on South Park LOL!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Where are you going with this Syberia? I've slept down in the teens with my BlackRock hat and had no issues at all and I'm a very cold sleeper. That "getup" should take you into the -30's with no problem

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Siberia, now that would be fun. It might not get that cold here, but it's gets cold enough for me to need a -10° quilt set so this is the perfect way to keep even more precious body heat in. I wonder what HG would rate it at? It's sewn through, but the volume of down would make up for it I think.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    REALLY wish I would have seen this about a month or so ago when i was deciding on one to buy...oh well. I bought a cheapy that I'm not happy with, so maybe i can get this one down the road. I may have missed it, but i don't think i see a picture of it in the stuff sack. kind of curious how small that huge hood gets to.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    **UPDATE**

So I used the hood last night ( well, very early this morning) and it was awesome. I tried to wear it while getting settled in and watching a movie on my kindle , but I was still warm from just having come out of the house and started to get hot. That was around 930 and 23-24°. I ended up putting it inside my TQ with me to keep it frost free until I needed it. At around 330 my beanie had come off and my HF butt had slid down around my neck , my head & face were so cold theyhurt lol, it was 20°. With the cold cutting through my head like 1,000 knives and still half asleep I got out the hood and got it on with relative ease. The cord locks were easy to find and adjust. I cinched it down just enough so all sides were barely touching my head , pulled my Buff up to my nose and eventually fell asleep again once I warmed up a little and was comfortable again. This time, I stayed asleep until I woke up around 7 , it was 18°.

The hood stayed in place relatively well and only need small adjusting when I turned my head sideways. My 20° Burrow also kept a nice seal and didn't come untucked at all at the head end. I did find that the area of the TQ in front of my face was wet, but the hood stayed dry. Overall I'd say it did extremely well and once it was cold enough didn't cause any problems with overheating or comfort. Getting my pillow in the right place was tricky at first but it stayed put once it was. This is definitely something that isn't for everyone, and for me is only to be used below 20°. But I can definitely see using it quite a bit this winter and feel it was more than worth the $60. The key is to only cinch it enough to keep just the right amount of heat in while allowing in to vent slightly ( at "higher" temps anyway), just like using a 30° UQ when it's in the 50's. I think this will definitely make a good addition to many peoples deep winter kit.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    REALLY wish I would have seen this about a month or so ago when i was deciding on one to buy...oh well. I bought a cheapy that I'm not happy with, so maybe i can get this one down the road. I may have missed it, but i don't think i see a picture of it in the stuff sack. kind of curious how small that huge hood gets to.
    No stuff sack, but I'll put it in one and take a pic today at some point.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    **UPDATE**

So I used the hood last night ( well, very early this morning) and it was awesome. I tried to wear it while getting settled in and watching a movie on my kindle , but I was still warm from just having come out of the house and started to get hot. That was around 930 and 23-24°. I ended up putting it inside my TQ with me to keep it frost free until I needed it. At around 330 my beanie had come off and my HF butt had slid down around my neck , my head & face were so cold theyhurt lol, it was 20°. With the cold cutting through my head like 1,000 knives and still half asleep I got out the hood and got it on with relative ease. The cord locks were easy to find and adjust. I cinched it down just enough so all sides were barely touching my head , pulled my Buff up to my nose and eventually fell asleep again once I warmed up a little and was comfortable again. This time, I stayed asleep until I woke up around 7 , it was 18°.

The hood stayed in place relatively well and only need small adjusting when I turned my head sideways. My 20° Burrow also kept a nice seal and didn't come untucked at all at the head end. I did find that the area of the TQ in front of my face was wet, but the hood stayed dry. Overall I'd say it did extremely well and once it was cold enough didn't cause any problems with overheating or comfort. Getting my pillow in the right place was tricky at first but it stayed put once it was. This is definitely something that isn't for everyone, and for me is only to be used below 20°. But I can definitely see using it quite a bit this winter and feel it was more than worth the $60. The key is to only cinch it enough to keep just the right amount of heat in while allowing in to vent slightly ( at "higher" temps anyway), just like using a 30° UQ when it's in the 50's. I think this will definitely make a good addition to many peoples deep winter kit.
    Thank you, as always, for taking the time to test this out and write such a thoughtful review! This helps us so much when developing new products, etc!!!
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Glad to help out Harry, keep the awesome products coming.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the review. Just received mine today, can’t wait to test it. Top notch construction and fits perfectly. Wow this has a lot of down in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast