Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up First look : HG Down hood

The pics below speak for themselves, this is an awesome piece of kit to have! The craftsmanship is to be expected of an HG product and the volume of down that's in this thing is insane lol. I have the Econ version so it's Ion fabric, which truth be told is just as smooth and nice against the skin as argon. I ordered an in stock hood the day they came out and it arrived today which is not bad at all considering the Xmas rush.

As far as fit and features go, it's very easy to get the exact fit you want due to the different strategically placed shock cord and cord locks. There's one that cinches it around your face and tightens it behind your head , and another that keeps it from sliding off with shock cord that goes under the arms, around the back and tightens on the chest with a cord lock. This system creates a perfect fit despite body type of head size. In the pics below you can also see how it still allows for a tight seal of your TQ's draft collar/ shock cord and doesn't inhibit your view or interfere with the TQ at all. Also seen below is how it could be paired with a Buff to further protect the nose and mouth and/or to prevent frozen moisture from your breath from freezing on the hood or wetting the down.

As it's used by more and more people this winter I'm sure it's performance will be documented in several posts as well as any concerns that might come up from breathing directly into it if that's even an issue. Like their other products though, HG fills this with hydrophobic down so it shouldn't diminish its performance really at all. Overall this hood is extremely comfortable , super warm and at only $60 for an Econ, can be had by even those on a budget like myself. I definitely plan on testing it out tonight as it's going to be clear skies, 5-7 knot wind and temps in the upper teens. I will provide an updated performance report with pics here in the a.m . also. Yet another AWESOME product from HG !

*NOTE* The color of my hood is dark olive green and black. When seen with my dark olive Econ Burrow it appears to match it's color exactly, but when shown on the blue Econ Burrow it appears very brown . This is partly due to the lighting of the room and also the contrast between it and the bright blue Burrow. In reality it's color is exactly the same as the dark olive Burrow...

IMG_20191220_102152.jpgIMG_20191220_100737.jpgIMG_20191220_101518.jpgIMG_20191220_095404.jpgIMG_20191220_095334.jpgIMG_20191220_095025.jpgIMG_20191220_095150.jpgIMG_20191220_094914.jpgIMG_20191220_094532.jpgIMG_20191220_094322.jpgIMG_20191220_094142.jpgIMG_20191220_094017.jpgIMG_20191220_102931.jpgIMG_20191220_102908.jpgIMG_20191220_102838.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    That looks cozy. The amount of down around your neck is wild.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    THis may even work for those of us that have to wear the dreaded cpap mask while hammocking. Nice write up Chesapeake.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    That looks cozy. The amount of down around your neck is wild.
    Yeah, they put A LOT of down in this thing didn't they? . And I'm only using my 40° Burrow in the pics, if I had used the 20 or -10°, my face wouldn't be visible at all! I love my UGQ down Skully, but think I might be selling it soon now that I've got this down monster. The UGQ fits my head kinda weird and doesn't really look right on me so I only ever wear it when I hang lol. I'll probably end up wearing this most of the winter now and just a North Face beanie or Buff in fall/early spring and won't really need the UGQ anymore. Its a warm beanie don't get me wrong, but this thing is just insane! Definitely worth the $60 that's for sure.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    THis may even work for those of us that have to wear the dreaded cpap mask while hammocking. Nice write up Chesapeake.
    Thanks! There is definitely a ton of room around the entire head when it's not cinched so a cpap would probably work fine with it I bet. It really is a " one size fits all " . I have a small head and when it's adjusted it fits perfectly, but when it's open you can see in the one pic just how much room there is for down loft and larger head sizes. HG really nailed the fit and adjustability with this. I definitely recommend.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Nice review. I started eyeing those, when they came out, they just bumped up a notch in my wish list. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Looks crazy warm!!! I honestly don't think it could get cold enough for me to ever use one, but that's just me with 150° blood.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Nice review. I started eyeing those, when they came out, they just bumped up a notch in my wish list. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YW! You definitely want one, this thing is beyond comfortable let me tell you. It's super easy to get on and adjust too. Well, inside a warm house anyway lol. The cord locks are kinda small so adjustments with a gloved hand at night in the cold might be a bit tricky, but that's the only slight downside I see.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Looks crazy warm!!! I honestly don't think it could get cold enough for me to ever use one, but that's just me with 150° blood.
    I can't wait to see how it does tonight. It's easy to open up and vent too, which is perfect for the more hot blooded among us such as yourself lol. I'm just amazed at how comfortable it feels on the head. It's also the perfect shape inside and the HUGE amount of down around the neck gives a great seal with the TQ and makes it that much warmer.

I don’t get such a large neck collar. For me, I’m pretty sure it would be uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast