Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Set ups for Cub Scouts

I’m Cubmaster of a new Cub Scout pack. My 6 year old has his own hammock, and all the other kids are super awed that we use hammocks when we go camping. (So do quite a few parents that have never even heard of hammock camping) I’ve offered to let some of the scouts try it out on our trips, and the ones who have, have loved it. Problem is, they’re always using my personal set up. I’ve got no problem sharing with them at all, but at the moment, I only have one hammock to spare between them and my family.

I would like to set the pack up with a few of their own set ups, so that, in the future, everyone has a chance to learn and enjoy it. I’m having trouble deciding what to get them though. My sone has a Hennessy Scout, but I’m pretty much the only one who is knot savvy. I converted his to a whopper sling suspension, but that may be a little advanced for some people if I’m not around to guide them.

I’m looking for recommendations on what may work best for them. I don’t want to go too expensive. I would like to get at least three. One for an adult. Two for the kids. I would like to get something fully integrated like the Hennessy’s. The simpler it is for the kids and parents, the better. Is there a way to convert a Hennessy to a daisy chain suspension that still accomidates the rain fly other than whoopie sling? Or are there other set ups you would recommend?
    Last edited by Dmstout440; 12-20-2019 at 10:30.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmstout440 View Post
    I’m Cubmaster of a new Cub Scout pack. My 6 year old has his own hammock, and all the other kids are super awed that we use hammocks when we go camping. (So do quite a few parents that have never even heard of hammock camping) I’ve offered to let some of the scouts try it out on our trips, and the ones who have, have loved it. Problem is, they’re always using my personal set up. I’ve got no problem sharing with them at all, but at the moment, I only have one hammock to spare between them and my family.

I would like to set the pack up with a few of their own set ups, so that, in the future, everyone has a chance to learn and enjoy it. I’m having trouble deciding what to get them though. My sone has a Hennessy Scout, but I’m pretty much the only one who is knot savvy. I converted his to a whopper sling suspension, but that may be a little advanced for some people if I’m not around to guide them.

I’m looking for recommendations on what may work best for them. I don’t want to go too expensive. I would like to get at least three. One for an adult. Two for the kids. I would like to get something fully integrated like the Hennessy’s. The simpler it is for the kids and parents, the better. Is there a way to convert a Hennessy to a daisy chain suspension that still accomidates the rain fly other than whoopie sling? Or are there other set ups you would recommend?
    I'm not familiar with Hennessy hammocks, so I can't comment on converting them. However, aren't scouts supposed to learn knots?

But seriously, I'm an ASM for my son's Troop and am shocked at how many scouts can forget the most basic knots. For hammock hanging, the marlin spike hitch is an excellent choice. It's mostly used with whoopie slings, but there's really no reason (assuming your tree straps are long enough), you couldn't hang the hammock's CL right on that knot (not on the toggle..see Shug's videos).

If you want to go knot-free (and I don't blame you), then daisy chain loop straps are (IMO) the safest bet. They're cheap and readily available and if the kid (or parent) can clip on a 'biner, they can use them.

The next rung up would be cinch buckles. There's a little learning curve with them, so you need to stress with them to check that the strap is set before jumping in the hammock (and landing on the ground).

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    This sounds like a teachable moment to me. Have them make their own hammocks. With adult supervision, making a gathered end hammock is quick, easy and cheap. Whipping the ends is really the only part that would need your help. Make a bunch of CLs for them and each scout can make their own hammock.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    I'm not familiar with Hennessy hammocks, so I can't comment on converting them. However, aren't scouts supposed to learn knots?

But seriously, I'm an ASM for my son's Troop and am shocked at how many scouts can forget the most basic knots. For hammock hanging, the marlin spike hitch is an excellent choice. It's mostly used with whoopie slings, but there's really no reason (assuming your tree straps are long enough), you couldn't hang the hammock's CL right on that knot (not on the toggle..see Shug's videos).

If you want to go knot-free (and I don't blame you), then daisy chain loop straps are (IMO) the safest bet. They're cheap and readily available and if the kid (or parent) can clip on a 'biner, they can use them.

The next rung up would be cinch buckles. There's a little learning curve with them, so you need to stress with them to check that the strap is set before jumping in the hammock (and landing on the ground).

At Cub Scout age, most of the kids don’t have the attention span to seriously learn knots. Plus, the ones they do teach only go up to your common hitches: taught line, clove and double half hitch; and that’s for the very oldest scouts. They haven’t started lashings which it what they need for hanging an unmodified Hennessy. I’d have to teach the parents, and I don’t really know if that would be very successful.

I’m a total fan of knots. You don’t know how many places you could have used them until you actually learn what you’ve been missing. I like the marlin spike idea though. That may be simple enough to write instructions for. These would also be for the pack, so once I am gone, the next gen of leaders would have to know their knots.

Hennessy hammocks have a fully integrated tarp/hammock suspension system. The hammock attaches to the anchor point via rope and figure 8 lashing, and the tarp attaches to that rope via prussic knot. No need to hang them separately.

Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    This sounds like a teachable moment to me. Have them make their own hammocks. With adult supervision, making a gathered end hammock is quick, easy and cheap. Whipping the ends is really the only part that would need your help. Make a bunch of CLs for them and each scout can make their own hammock.
    At the Cub Scout level, kids aren’t allowed to use sewing machines. Plus, the kids at these ages have extremely short attention spans. We’re talking about kids as young as 5.

I’d also have to learn first ��. That’s one of the next big things on my list though.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Cub Scouts require a lot of parent involvement. In my experience, Cub Scout campouts mostly utilized each family's tent and gear rather than Pack gear. Use your own gear to educate the parents and let them decide how to equip their Cub.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

You can always find cheap hammocks that will work good enough for them to try out. When my son joined his Boy Scout Troop the leader bought them $9 hammocks from Menards. We had a small Troop less than 15 kids. This was after the first couple of campouts when they wanted to try it out. All we had to do was buy tree straps and a cheap tarp. Heck we used ratchet straps at first.
    Now they all have upgraded their gear knowing what they liked/wanted. Adding bugnets, tarps, bought new hammocks. Others have gone back to tents.
    But for Cubs, itd be tricky...kinda like herding kittens. I can't imagine trying to distract them from the colorful giant swings all day.
    Last edited by CHoffmanIa; 12-21-2019 at 19:26.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I would agree that with cubs it really needs to be parent led/involved. They just aren’t able to do it all themselves. After 3 years even my sone who is a first year scout needs my help tweaking his setup.

Daisy chains and carabiners are about the simplest suspension. Not the lightest but least fiddly.

Lots of hammock setups on amazon for $20 with integrated bug nets that would get them started. They’ll be 10’ or less but for cubs that will work.

The issue will be insulation. BSA rules limit outdoor activities when it’s less than 40*. So if they have a *good* sleeping bag you might get away with just using that...maybe get some cheap blue pads from Wally World. Won’t need underquilt.

Tarps...well, maybe just hang in fair weather? That might be the weak point in this plan. Could get a cheap blue tarp from Wally World. I’ve seen people use painters plastic too. But rigging a ridge line and stakes might be too complicated.

It’ll be interesting to see what others suggest and hear what you decide.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my Boy Scout troop we made gathered end hammocks by buying from tableclothfactory.com and tubular webbing for suspension. We used one of Derek Hanson's early tutorials.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Set ups for Cub Scouts

This is what I’d recommend to my scout parents:

Company link: https://www.ridgeoutdoorgear.com/pro...-hammock-blue/

Amazon link:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P1NWGL4/

Spiguyver review:
    https://youtu.be/JCqzPpZIrTE
    Last edited by jdy98p; 01-07-2020 at 11:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast