HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Exclamation The importance of REGULARLY checking your suspension.....

The number of us that have switched from sleeping in beds like "normies" to sleeping in hammocks full time is growing. The comfort and quality of sleep is unmatched as we all know, and those of us that have made the switch can go on and on about it ad nauseam if given the chance. However, one thing that we really need to really talk about is stress. Not psychological stress, but stress as a result of prolonged use.

The components that make up a simple GE hammock are designed to accept and bear several different forces , from several different directions and at several different amplitudes...... all at the same time. Take one look at the Hang Calculator on TheUltimatehang.com or watch one of Grizz's amazing videos and you will quickly see just how much stress a hammock is really under. Now, for most of the community these stresses are spread out over time , and even with moderate to heavy use outside, your hammocks suspension won't begin to show signs of wear for quite some time if it's taken care of properly. However, a hammock that's main purpose is to replace a bed and/or a piece of furniture will see the these forces with a much greater frequency and potentially over a longer period of time. The result of this increased stress is a far more rapid decrease in the materials strength as they become damaged and over used .

We all know just how strong a 7/64 Amsteel whoopie is, and how it's relatively small diameter transfers the hammocks load to the rest of the suspension and on to the tree. However though , at some point after prolonged use its individual fibers will begin to bind together from the strong opposing forces. As result, the overall diameter will begin to get smaller in some areas from this stress, and in some places it can actually harden and be very difficult to adjust due to the binding that's taken place. The same can occur to a Zing-it or Lash-it RL ,amsteel soft shackle or amsteel continuous loop, causing them to become damaged and potentially unsafe. A whoopie or CL that's attached to a wall or interior stand via a metal hook, biner or other hardware will also become increasingly thinner and damaged where the fibers bend around the hard metal.

SO, how can we protect our rig from becoming potentially unsafe and our suspensions from being damaged? First, REGULARLY inspect each component to check for signs of the fibers beginning to thin or become harder. Next, readjust the whoopies length often if possible to keep sharp bends around metal hardware from creating a weak spot in the fibers and every so often loosen whoopies and CL's that are larks headed together to prevent permanent binding. With each use, pay close attention to a whoopies bury and regularly milk to prevent binding, hardening and potentially dangerous slippage. And lastly , always take a quick look at each individual part of your hammock, suspension and insulation to check for any new or growing signs of wear, it will save you money and a potentially ruined rig in the long run. So in closing, ALWAYS REMEMBER : a worn out RL or whoopie can easily and cheaply be replaced and will potentially keep you and/or your most comfortable & favorite hammock from major damage!

Here are a few pics of what a 4 year old, extremely worn out and potentially dangerous 7/64 Amsteel whoopie from Dutch looks like compared to a brand new, never used CL from HG. You can clearly see the areas that have become thinner or frayed , the dark area where the fibers are hard & tightly bound together at the bottom of the bury where the tail exits, the damage that using a metal eye hook causes over time where the fibers are permanently bent and have become dangerously thin and hardened, and the overall damage that's been done from being used every night over 4 years. The darker areas are where it's become extremely hard with the fibers tightly compressed & bound together. See if you can tell the new Amsteel from the used.... It should be extremely obvious! I will also post ( better) pics of my recently removed worn out Lash-it RL compared to an unused length of Zing-it. The damage that's been done is definitely something to pay close attention to.....

IMG_20191219_093110.jpgIMG_20191219_092931.jpgIMG_20191219_092907.jpgIMG_20191219_092824.jpgIMG_20191219_092754.jpgIMG_20191219_092701.jpgIMG_20191219_092626.jpgIMG_20191219_092534.jpgIMG_20191219_092438.jpgIMG_20191219_092347.jpgIMG_20191219_092319.jpgIMG_20191219_092305.jpg
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 12-19-2019 at 15:32.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Also, do not forget to inspect the hammock fabric, end channels etc. for wear and thinning. Good cautionary post.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Also, do not forget to inspect the hammock fabric, end channels etc. for wear and thinning. Good cautionary post.
    Thanks. Yes, definitely check the hammocks body and stitching of your end channels if you have them. Ever since " the rabid racoon incident of '16 " which damaged the netting and body of my XLC I've had to double check it with every use. Seeing Shugs " Greenbean" rip shows just how much force and the kind of stress that's on the various parts all the same time, and how the slightest imbalance can make it fail. My full-time " bed" is a DIY 11' argon 1.6 and is also a lounger. It gets used waaaay more than it probably should and so far the only wear has been the suspension luckily. I wash it in cold water with Deft then dry with low heat every time I wash the sheets and comforter on the regular bed in our bedroom. When I do, I make sure to really check the end whipping for damage since I don't have end channels on it, as well as the body for holes from things like buttons, zippers , kid toys etc. How often does everyone else wash their full time hammock?
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Images
    My indoor hammock is connected to the wall via hefty eyebolt-polypropolene webbing-climbing carabiner-7/16ths amsteel continuous loop(doubled through hammock hem). When inspecting I shift the position of webbing and amsteel so a different area is now rubbing on metal. The eyebolt is rather rough though the carabiner is smooth. I haven't found too much wear yet over 4 years of part time use(and several months of full time).

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Anybody have empirical or even anecdotal data about break strength of Amsteel compromised these ways? I thought this post might have documented a fall. I’ve been full time since 2013. I’ve replaced my suspensions more out of tinkering than caution, but more than once have relied without incident on Amsteel apparently “hardened” over a metal bend for many months.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

The importance of REGULARLY checking your suspension.....

I’ve been using 1/8 amsteel, with both knots and splices. Splices, as in whoopies, and spliced continuous loops. And from time to time I’ve used less than a thirty degree angle of hang.
    I’ve never had amsteel break or slip on any of my off the wall suspensions.

One of y’all’s photos show serious separation at bury exit. The sheath part becomes “unbraided”, not really, but it looks that way.
    It is weakened, and I think it’s caused by trying to adjust whoopie sling by pulling at right angles or even a hairpin 180 degree pull to bury.
    It will probably still work even though it is weakened and could stand replacing.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-22-2019 at 14:58.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’ve been using 1/8 amsteel, with both knots and splices. Splices, as in whoopies, and spliced continuous loops. I from time to time I’ve used less than a thirty degree angle of hang.
    I’ve never had amsteel break or slip on any of my off the wall suspensions.

One of y’all’s photos show serious separation at bury exit. The sheath part becomes “unbraided”, not really, but it looks that way.
    It is weakened, and I think it’s caused by trying to adjust whoopie sling by pulling at right angles or even a hairpin 180 degree pull to bury.
    It will probably still work even though it is weakened and could stand replacing.

Yeah, I've replaced that set with a new pair from HG. However, they have a much different feel to them than the old set did when they were new. The new ones have a kind of slight " plastic " feel and sheen for lack of better words. The sets that came on my XLC and RR felt softer and more tightly woven almost. Not that I'm saying the HG pair is defective or not the same caliber rope, just that there is a marked difference between the Amsteel that HG and WB use. I'll have to take a better pic to see if I can show what I'm talking about. Has anyone else noticed or experienced differences between whoopies or CL's from different vendors?

Chesapeake, this was excellent thread timing with the winter season is starting. A suspensoin failure is bad at any time but in the winter makes it worse. The only picture that makes me concerned is the last one as it is showing yarn failure/ melted fuzz- R+R ASAP.

Looked over my everynite hang (5+yrs) and no sign of anything except the compression of Amsteel around my suspended 1" top rail and I'm not worried about any of it. My suspension consists of 6'UCR to evo-loop to 8"CL through hammock end channel's.

Slugbait- I think you meant 7/64" and not 7/16"- right? Cause I would expect you to be celebrating your 100'th BD using the same 7/16".

The one thing I have not been able to test yet is how well Amsteel UCR's behave in freezing rain, and snowover? Haven't been north enough but think they might have an issue or two at subfreezing temps.

Like phantomgrappler said the WS is still servicable - it's just suffering from some improper oblique pulling of the tail. No real damage though.

Images
    Oops! Yes- 7/64ths. I and a dozen sumo wrestlers could hang from 7/16ths!

• + New Posts