Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Idea (maybe not new): hammock "pockets"?

Pardon the terrible amateur drawing, but I had this idea and the only drawing app on my work PC is Paint. Anyway, maybe this isn't a new idea, but wanted to run it by all of you to shoot holes in it. Basically, in a GE hammock, laying on the diagonal, you've got this sort of "wasted space" on the side opposite of your head and feet. I'm thinking that sewing in "pocket" of sorts - probably with mesh or a very lightweight material - would allow you to make better use of that space. It'd be sort of like an integrated gear hammock that was just always there. With the right material, it wouldn't add much weight, and be a bit more convenient than overhead storage (e.g.: ridgeline organizers, etc.).

hammock-pocket-idea.png

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Pardon the terrible amateur drawing, but I had this idea and the only drawing app on my work PC is Paint. Anyway, maybe this isn't a new idea, but wanted to run it by all of you to shoot holes in it. Basically, in a GE hammock, laying on the diagonal, you've got this sort of "wasted space" on the side opposite of your head and feet. I'm thinking that sewing in "pocket" of sorts - probably with mesh or a very lightweight material - would allow you to make better use of that space. It'd be sort of like an integrated gear hammock that was just always there. With the right material, it wouldn't add much weight, and be a bit more convenient than overhead storage (e.g.: ridgeline organizers, etc.).

hammock-pocket-idea.png
    My Clark has pockets sort of similar to that and I love them. The pockets on a Clark extend underneath though, but they work wonderfully for clip-on items. I think it would be a better idea to use velcro to stick the pockets to the hammock that way if you change the direction of your lay you can move the pockets. You have a good idea i think though.
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    That would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I've got this very thing (zippered pockets, even) on my SLD Trail Lairs, and I love them. No first-hand experience (yet), but I believe DW Chameleons have the ability to have movable pockets.
    Last edited by Othello; 12-19-2019 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    I've got this very thing (zippered pockets, even) on my SLD Trail Lairs, and I love them. No first-hand experience (yet), but I believe DW Chameleons have the ability to have movable pockets.
    I've got the same setup with my Trail Lair and Voyageur hammock from Simply Light Designs. I use the zippered pockets to store my socks etc so I don't have to dig around for them when I get ready to hit the trail again in the morning.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Looks great to me!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just remember that preferences can change - you may want to shift your head/foot direction. Pockets are hardly for flashlight, phone (iPad), book, sunglasses and such. But a peak bag is out if the way and can hold all my night clothes.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Idea (maybe not new): hammock "pockets"?

yeah, I know the Warbonnets (Blackbirds, I think) have a "shelf" that's similar to the sidecar Dutch sells for the chameleons. their both external to the hammock, though. I'm thinking of a pocket big enough to hold, say, a change of clothes or a quilt (on those really warm nights or while lounging during the day).

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    yeah, I know the Warbonnets (Blackbirds, I think) have a "shelf" that's similar to the sidecar Dutch sells for the chameleons. their both external to the hammock, though. I'm thinking of a pocket big enough to hold, say, a change of clothes or a quilt (on those really warm nights or while lounging during the day).
    Yeah, sounds exactly like the pockets on a Clark. There are 3 on each side that wraps around to the middle of the bottom of the hammock and has zippers on the inside. Clark used to sell the feature as extra insulation as well where the stuff that you stick in the pockets creates an air gap and keeps you a little warmer. If that is what you are going for then I would think that a double layer hammock could be adapted to create the pocket between the two layers possibly.
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

• + New Posts