Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    If Dixie happens to come on here to learn something.. might she feel a bit "trashed"? Just thinking if I'd come on here the first time, if I saw the thread with my name on it, if I'd want to learn from folks here? Could go both ways I suppose..
    I wish her the best of luck. Though I'd love for her to love hammocks on the 2nd try, I wouldn't be surprised if weight might be a deal breaker for her considering the hikes she tends to do!
    In fairness to both sides, I'd imagine Dixie has learned a whole bunch since her first hammock encounter.

Also, I didn't see the original video referenced so I don't know if she put the important little qualifier in there, which is "for me" ... as in "it didn't work out for me" or "doesn't fit my style or preferences." There's a vast difference IMO between saying that something just sucks, period, and it sucks for me, maybe because I'm not doing it right.

As far as the weight penalty, yes it's definitely there if you have to plan for a no-hammock option by carrying an air mat. For me the total weight difference between 2 'pure' setups is a couple of ounces, but adding an air mat and pillow for ground carries an additional 12 oz penalty. However, I've done that and it didn't kill me (ye gods of UL forgive me for such blasphemy).
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I'm sure she'll be able to find solace in the fact she doesn't have to work for a living.
    Comments like these is why prospective or new hammockers may be turned off by this site. Sometimes I don’t post something I feel may provide insight because someone will provide unhelpful commentary. Disappointing.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I would pay some major coin to see a Shug and Dixie series of videos.

.....I'll send along my Paypal info....haaaaa
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In fairness to both sides, I'd imagine Dixie has learned a whole bunch since her first hammock encounter.

Also, I didn't see the original video referenced so I don't know if she put the important little qualifier in there, which is "for me" ... as in "it didn't work out for me" or "doesn't fit my style or preferences." There's a vast difference IMO between saying that something just sucks, period, and it sucks for me, maybe because I'm not doing it right.

As far as the weight penalty, yes it's definitely there if you have to plan for a no-hammock option by carrying an air mat. For me the total weight difference between 2 'pure' setups is a couple of ounces, but adding an air mat and pillow for ground carries an additional 12 oz penalty. However, I've done that and it didn't kill me (ye gods of UL forgive me for such blasphemy).
    Agreed she's apparently come a long way!
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As I was reading these posts, I thought of a few things. Although Dixie didn't understand a hammock setup in her first comparison video, She seems very fair in posting alternate opinions. Mine - now 3 years old - is about 18 posts down.

Remember, she is not going out for a weekend. A thru hike takes one into a lot of different territory. You could be hiking days without trees. So her gear choices have to account for that. She could have learned to love a hammock but it might not be what she needs for a specific terrain. If my kayak adventure is going to leave me camping on a sandy beach or rock shelf, I'll bring a tent. Someday I'll be able to afford a Tensa4.

On hiking for a living - not having to "work". From my limited experience, bringing along a video camera and setting up shots, or just making videos at home, changes the whole "outdoor" experience. It is not so much communing with nature; it's figuring out how to balance content. And that's only on the trail. Back home, from what others have told me, it takes hours of time to edit all the "footage" into a tight, entertaining, presentation. It may not be hauling bags of gravel but it is "work".

So it may be that with proper setup, she will really love a hammock - if that's the case, I hope she says so - but it may not be the gear she needs for some pending adventure. I'm sure there are those who have thru-hiked with "just a hammock" but I'm also sure, on some nights - it was used as a netted bivi sack under a tarp.

If she has given a hammock a second look, please post the URL. I could only find the original by searching on Wanderlust and Hammock. The last post was about a month ago - nothing about hammocks in it. Where did you hear about the new re-review?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Agreed she's apparently come a long way!
    Conservative estimate.... 10,000 miles!!

The lady has earned my respect.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    As I was reading these posts, I thought of a few things. Although Dixie didn't understand a hammock setup in her first comparison video, She seems very fair in posting alternate opinions. Mine - now 3 years old - is about 18 posts down.

Remember, she is not going out for a weekend. A thru hike takes one into a lot of different territory. You could be hiking days without trees. So her gear choices have to account for that. She could have learned to love a hammock but it might not be what she needs for a specific terrain. If my kayak adventure is going to leave me camping on a sandy beach or rock shelf, I'll bring a tent. Someday I'll be able to afford a Tensa4.

On hiking for a living - not having to "work". From my limited experience, bringing along a video camera and setting up shots, or just making videos at home, changes the whole "outdoor" experience. It is not so much communing with nature; it's figuring out how to balance content. And that's only on the trail. Back home, from what others have told me, it takes hours of time to edit all the "footage" into a tight, entertaining, presentation. It may not be hauling bags of gravel but it is "work".

So it may be that with proper setup, she will really love a hammock - if that's the case, I hope she says so - but it may not be the gear she needs for some pending adventure. I'm sure there are those who have thru-hiked with "just a hammock" but I'm also sure, on some nights - it was used as a netted bivi sack under a tarp.

If she has given a hammock a second look, please post the URL. I could only find the original by searching on Wanderlust and Hammock. The last post was about a month ago - nothing about hammocks in it. Where did you hear about the new re-review?
    I think this is a fair summary.

Constantly refreshing YT content cannot be an easy job, either on the hike or back home editing and doing video/journals/notes on the trail to keep track of things. And doing it well enough to make a living or, at a bare minimum, to keep the gig going, is something at which only a very small percentage succeed.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    here is the video where she announce she is giving hammocks another try: https://youtu.be/VQte7gi7Xjo

she is going to be using it and other gear on her upcoming thru hike of the Pinhoti trail.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I didn't see the original video referenced so I don't know if she put the important little qualifier in there, which is "for me" ... as in "it didn't work out for me" or "doesn't fit my style or preferences." There's a vast difference IMO between saying that something just sucks, period, and it sucks for me, maybe because I'm not doing it right.
    She said it wasn't the system for her and mentioned that the hammock was loaned to her by a friend close to the time she started the AT
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    She said it wasn't the system for her and mentioned that the hammock was loaned to her by a friend close to the time she started the AT
    Fair 'nuff!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast