Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I'm getting a tent.
    Really.
    Desert trip.
    Shug
    Now Shug you know tent is a four letter word around here!
    I have been fiddling with the Lawson Blue Ridge lately, added 3/8” neoprene to the inside for comfort and insulation. Thing is huge roomy, certainly capable of two compatible people. In the coming months may go to ground mode to just see what it is like.
    In all the years of watching I can’t recall you filming a Lawson?
    On topic, if you and Hickery took Dixie out on a trip she would get hooked on shortbread with maple syrup on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    Now Shug you know tent is a four letter word around here!
    I have been fiddling with the Lawson Blue Ridge lately, added 3/8” neoprene to the inside for comfort and insulation. Thing is huge roomy, certainly capable of two compatible people. In the coming months may go to ground mode to just see what it is like.
    In all the years of watching I can’t recall you filming a Lawson?
    On topic, if you and Hickery took Dixie out on a trip she would get hooked on shortbread with maple syrup on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I started with a Lawson. Then went through my ultralight period with just tarp and bivvie. Then Shire Contrail. Then my hammock adventure came to life. And I never did film the Lawson. It was heavy but I did not know any better~~~
    As to Dixie....not sure if Hickery and I could keep up with her.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Didn’t really hear her verdict on the hammock. Despite her thousands of miles she’s still at the beginning of the hammock learning curve. Couple of obvious rookie mistakes. Would liked to have seen a full-length UQ or Wooki for the cold conditions she was in. I noticed she was using a short UQ and her inflatable pad. I get she was trying to go as light as possible with her set up.

I hope she explores the hammock option further. I think as she got more experience it wouldn’t be as big a struggle.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I put a few comments on her post. She didn’t do herself any favors by waiting till pitch dark to set up her hammock. Same for a tent. I’d think you’d want to see what’s around you. AND what’s above you.
    Once, on the Oregon PCT. I hiked till I was tired and it was dark. I put my bivi down on the first flat spot I saw. About 1 am I awoked to find the headlights of a big truck bearing down on me. It was holding breath and “Go-to-God” moment as the truck turned off at the last moment. In the morning I discovered I had stopped about four feet from Hwy 242. Good thing I hadn’t walked any further. I could just hear myself saying, “This ground feels a little hard but it sure is flat. It’ll do."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    Didn’t really hear her verdict on the hammock. Despite her thousands of miles she’s still at the beginning of the hammock learning curve. Couple of obvious rookie mistakes. Would liked to have seen a full-length UQ or Wooki for the cold conditions she was in. I noticed she was using a short UQ and her inflatable pad. I get she was trying to go as light as possible with her set up.

I hope she explores the hammock option further. I think as she got more experience it wouldn’t be as big a struggle.
    It'd be cool if she could do a good long hike with Beardoh and Sweet Pea who could share their enormous amount of practical experience with her.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    >Didn’t really hear her verdict on the hammock.<

I think I remember her saying she didn't wake up as much during the night in the hammock compared to the tent.
    Harlan Hastings
    NPT Nobo 2013; AT Sobo 2020

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Hastings View Post
    >Didn’t really hear her verdict on the hammock.<

I think I remember her saying she didn't wake up as much during the night in the hammock compared to the tent.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    After watching her video using it on the Pinhoti trail, I have to say that my takeaway is that the best gear you can bring with you is between your ears. It doesn't matter if you're rockin' legit hammock gear if you don't truly know how to use it. Mindset, Toolset, Skillset. That's what's needed to enjoy hammocking IMHO.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    So she’s saying THERE’S A CHANCE! Anyone wanna take her up on that race challenge? She says a hammock takes longer to set up and is waiting to be proven wrong.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    After watching her video using it on the Pinhoti trail, I have to say that my takeaway is that the best gear you can bring with you is between your ears. It doesn't matter if you're rockin' legit hammock gear if you don't truly know how to use it. Mindset, Toolset, Skillset. That's what's needed to enjoy hammocking IMHO.
    True. For some people, having fewer variables and one less skillset are actually good things.

And I'm pretty sure I can set up my hammock/tarp faster than I can pitch my Duplex. Hammock kit is almost always easier and much faster to pack because there's no dirt/mud to contend with.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast