Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I think she needs to throw in a hot tent setup while at it.
    That's it. She needs to take a hot tent on her next long hike. That I want to see. Seriously though Dixie is very knowledgeable and has a lot more backpacking miles than most of us combined, she's very likeable, not cocky at all and has a very good eye to find some of the most unique camera shots you'll see. If you haven't been following her you should if you like backpacking.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I just hope she starts with a Wookie UQ and not a pad. She made some pretty good choices with the Blackbird and Minifly. I would recommend the Eldorado and Thunderfly, but if you insist on UL, that’s a solid choice. I wonder what suspension she chose. Cinch buckles would be the smart beginner choice, then transition to Beckett Hitch and UL straps after a little practice if you insist on UL.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

If I was Brandon, I'd pay Homemade Wanderlust NOT to take the Warbonnet Blackbird, because she's just gonna do another half-hearted attempt at hammock camping. Then she'll bash the Blackbird to her 200,000 followers and say "it didn't work out."
    Wow, that's a bit harsh. I have watched almost all of her adventures . . . from first stepping off at Amicalola Falls, sounding kind of nervous and unsure of herself (which, I'm sure she was), to thinking nothing of doing 20+ mile days. We all were newbies at one time. Maybe she should have spent weeks or months dialing in her gear before stepping off on the trail but, she didn't and, through grit and determination, she has become more experienced and knowledgeable about long distance hiking that most of us.

Will she stick with a hammock? Who knows but, I will still enjoy her videos regardless of what sleep system she uses.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Couldn't agree with anyone more. Well said.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/ WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetles
    Hopefully she does enjoy it and usually she's pretty good about saying if it doesn't work for her it could work for someone else. Not everything is for everyone. However, my concern or curiosity, will be to see how this affects the hammock market. If it does go well will we see a big boom in hammock campers and will prices go up because of this? Or, it doesn't go as planned and cottage vendors miss out on a new revenue stream which could potentially lead to funding new innovations in the hammock community. Just some food for thought.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Logic View Post
    Hopefully she does enjoy it and usually she's pretty good about saying if it doesn't work for her it could work for someone else. Not everything is for everyone. However, my concern or curiosity, will be to see how this affects the hammock market. If it does go well will we see a big boom in hammock campers and will prices go up because of this? Or, it doesn't go as planned and cottage vendors miss out on a new revenue stream which could potentially lead to funding new innovations in the hammock community. Just some food for thought.
    I don't understand, is this woman the final word on hiking and backpacking? I'm not sure why people are theorizing the outcome of how she judges the blackbird. This will have little to no impact on anything.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I don't understand, is this woman the final word on hiking and backpacking? I'm not sure why people are theorizing the outcome of how she judges the blackbird. This will have little to no impact on anything.
    In the big scheme you are right it will have little impact. However, like Shug, she will influence some one way our the other. If 100,000 people saw a positive or negative video on a product it might influence a 10 to couple 100 potential sales. Measurable?

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Did not even try to learn. Homemade Wanderlust says she started her AT trip without so much as one night in a hammock or a tent. Not one night of practice! And I don't think she came up with that ENO setup (which she calls EEEE - NNNN -OOOO) on her own. Looks like somebody with very little knowledge of hammocks taped it together for her. For this hammocking attempt with the Warbonnet, she says, "I know y'all have suggested some different resources for learning about hammock camping, and I'll definitely be checking those out," but I have my doubts. I mean, who starts an AT thru-hike without even testing out their gear, without ever having done an overnight camping trip of any kind?

If I was Brandon, I'd pay Homemade Wanderlust NOT to take the Warbonnet Blackbird, because she's just gonna do another half-hearted attempt at hammock camping. Then she'll bash the Blackbird to her 200,000 followers and say "it didn't work out."
    Kinda harsh take, don’t you think? The Dixie from her first night on the AT to today is vastly more experienced and pragmatic. You watch her YouTube videos? She doesn’t “bash” any gear maker or vendor. She gives fair and comprehensive reviews, and leaves the viewer with her honest evaluation. I expect her to give her second try at hammock camping a solid go. The fact she did her research and chose a solid system gives me the strong impression she will invalidate some opinions.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Economy Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I think people over-react to her original video about ditching hammocks. Yeah she did it wrong but that video currently has 639k views, meanwhile Fowler’s video on why he prefers hammocks over tents has 6.8 million views

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I know Dixie does not accept free gear from manufacturers which is one way she’s able to give independent reviews. But if I were Brandon I would see if I could “loan” Dixie a Wooki to go with that a Blackbird. Super easy to set up, warm, and looks good.

I agree with the above comments that the Dixie of today is different than the Dixie of the first few weeks on the AT. I find her to be straightforward and honest in her reviews and assessments of the gear she’s using. I think with all the miles behind her now she’s in a much better position to try hammocks again. (Looking at it from an experienced thru-hiker perspective which I think is kinda cool.j. Plus she’s finally got some decent gear!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast