WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    If you are looking for information on hammocking from long distance hikers, check out Two Speed, Shrewd or Frozen Outdoor Adventures. Lot of good data points from folks that completed long trails with a hammock.

Two Speed
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...with-a-Hammock

Shrewd
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmock-overview

I won’t be surprised if Dixie likes or dislikes the hammock/tarp. The importance of sleep comfort and how much weight you want to carry vary from hiker to hiker. I think long distance hikers face this decision every year and most end up in a tent - which really who cares in the end. The important thing is being out in the woods vs. what sleep system you like.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    If this Dixie person sleeps on her stomach or side, she might be better off trying a Ridgefunner. Just sayn'

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Great looking Battenbergs, wow!

That's very British, though! "Continental" would be from mainland Europe. Sorry for being nit-picky, but I'm impressed with the bake!
    Not to get too literal....
    In our family we just always said continental palate as many American folks that came to our home to eat had never tasted lamb, pastitsio, Galaktoboureko (we lived in Greece) shortbread, marzipan, Yorkshire pudding, Irish soda bread, trifle, Bird's Custard, Crunchies, Irish Rock Candy and plumduff and caraway seeds.
    We jokes we had continental palates as we lived around the World as a Navy family.
    Battenbergs for all say I.
    Last edited by Shug; 12-19-2019 at 16:38.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    She's only trying the hammock again so she can have content. She will be back to a tent after getting views.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Not to get too literal....
    In our family we just always said continental palate as many American folks that came to our home to eat had never tasted lamb, pastitsio, Galaktoboureko (we lived in Greece) shortbread, marzipan, Yorkshire pudding, Irish soda bread, trifle, Bird's Custard, Crunchies, Irish Rock Candy and plumduff and caraway seeds.
    We jokes we had continental palates as we lived around the World as a Navy family.
    Battenbergs for all say I.
    Ok, point taken, and your list is making me hungry. Could go for some sticky toffee pudding.

~~~

Sorry, don't have much to say about the OP. I don't watch this YouTuber, and how she chooses to sleep while backpacking is none of my concern or my business!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 12-19-2019 at 18:45.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    She's only trying the hammock again so she can have content. She will be back to a tent after getting views.
    If that happens,just give her a few more years and she will be back to the hammock for good.I've not slept on the ground in at least 15 years!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Her mistake was that she was too focused on getting low cost stuff instead of getting stuff that would work and then did not learn how to use the gear she had.
    Did not even try to learn. Homemade Wanderlust says she started her AT trip without so much as one night in a hammock or a tent. Not one night of practice! And I don't think she came up with that ENO setup (which she calls EEEE - NNNN -OOOO) on her own. Looks like somebody with very little knowledge of hammocks taped it together for her. For this hammocking attempt with the Warbonnet, she says, "I know y'all have suggested some different resources for learning about hammock camping, and I'll definitely be checking those out," but I have my doubts. I mean, who starts an AT thru-hike without even testing out their gear, without ever having done an overnight camping trip of any kind?

If I was Brandon, I'd pay Homemade Wanderlust NOT to take the Warbonnet Blackbird, because she's just gonna do another half-hearted attempt at hammock camping. Then she'll bash the Blackbird to her 200,000 followers and say "it didn't work out."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I mean, who starts an AT thru-hike without even testing out their gear, without ever having done an overnight camping trip of any kind?
    there is a lot of people that start (and complete) an AT thru hike without ever done an overnight camping trip of any kind. I'm pretty sure liz kidder's (aka Handstand) first night on the AT was her first overnight camping trip of any kind also. they both have accomplished a lot more than a lot of people on this forum. good thing they didn't listen to a lot of people on this forum, then Liz wouldn't be a thru hiker and Dixie (homemade wanderlust) wouldn't be a triple crowner, and completed the Camino De Santiago in Spain.

yes there are a lot of people that haven't never done an overnight camping trip of any kind that starts the an AT thru hike that fails, but there is also a lot of people that have camped their whole life that fail an AT thru hike attempt also.
    Last edited by soul embrace; 12-20-2019 at 06:35.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    there is a lot of people that start (and complete) an AT thru hike without ever done an overnight camping trip of any kind. I'm pretty sure liz kidder's (aka Handstand) first night on the AT was her first overnight camping trip of any kind also. they both have accomplished a lot more than a lot of people on this forum. good thing they didn't listen to a lot of people on this forum, then Liz wouldn't be a thru hiker and Dixie (homemade wanderlust) wouldn't be a triple crowner, and completed the Camino De Santiago in Spain.

yes there are a lot of people that haven't never done an overnight camping trip of any kind that starts the an AT thru hike that fails, but there is also a lot of people that have camped their whole life that fail an AT thru hike attempt also.
    I concur. The AT rate of attrition is very high for either people with lots of experience or little/none. I've never done anything remotely ambitious, and although I feel I could, I could also envision myself simply deciding after 1000 miles that it ain't my thing and going home.

But I've watched some of Dixie's later videos and it's obvious she's learned a lot after 10,000+ miles in all kinds of weather and terrain.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Did not even try to learn. Homemade Wanderlust says she started her AT trip without so much as one night in a hammock or a tent. Not one night of practice! And I don't think she came up with that ENO setup (which she calls EEEE - NNNN -OOOO) on her own. Looks like somebody with very little knowledge of hammocks taped it together for her. For this hammocking attempt with the Warbonnet, she says, "I know y'all have suggested some different resources for learning about hammock camping, and I'll definitely be checking those out," but I have my doubts. I mean, who starts an AT thru-hike without even testing out their gear, without ever having done an overnight camping trip of any kind?
    Actually, when Jonathan and I were down at Trail Days a few years ago for the podcast, there were quite a few thru hikers that we interviewed, that the first night that they ever slept outdoors was their first night on the AT. A couple of them bought their hammocks the day they started their hike and their first night on the trail was the first time they ever set them up and slept in a hammock. I couldn't believe the thought of going on a 4-6 month journey and not thoroughly testing my gear, but here they were up in Damascus with no plans of stopping. I wish we got contact info from them to see if they actually finished the trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast