Thread: Bug Net Color

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    I agree. But In my very limited experiences I've tried a couple of tips that have helped a lot. On thing is high temperature (near boiling). Then Ive found that many fabrics have finishes that won't take dyes. Ive corresponded with RSBTR on some white fabrics that I wanted custom dyed and many of theirs have these coatings and wont work. I've tried some local shops that worked well. I cant say how shear net will work in his case. I'd do a small sample first and see. If its resistant, try solvents like vinegar with heat then wash first before application. At a local fabric store you can usually buy a foot just to test. No shipping or minimum. Although it might be hard to find that 0.5 oz/yd noseeum.
    For what it's worth, I've been told that there are much better dyes on the market than what RIT offers. I've never tried any of them (yet!), but Dharma Trading has been highly recommended in the past.

Interesting thread.

A little OT from the visibility issue, but I've often wondered if a lighter colored bug net might have any positive or negative affect on heat retention and/or deflection in the hammock. Height of the bug season it's generally pretty warm out. I don't have any personal experience with it, but just from what I've seen in warmer climate areas, their bugnets always seem to be white or very light colored.

Makes me wonder if there isn't a coorelation when trying to keep your hammock space cooler in warmer temps.

Thoughts or experience in that area?
    Last edited by Yarome; 12-18-2019 at 10:46.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dscotthep View Post
    For what it's worth, synthetic fabrics take RIT dye very poorly. I tried RIT DyeMore for Synthetics on some white nylon. My "royal purple" hammock is only a very pale lavender (and that was with double the soak time!)

I'm not necessarily trying to dissuade you from trying, but your expectations should be kinda low...
    There is a post on here that outlines the best way to dye a nylon hammock. I would think that would work for netting also.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    I've only used black but I had a cheap mosquito net/hat with a light green netting for gardening in black-fly season. It was impossible to see out of in bright sunlight.
    Same here. Light colors reflect not just outside but inside.
    Lighter versions of any color is going to be hard to see out of.... I turned down some nice OD green because it was a very light shade and hard to see thru even in the store.
    I've noticed polyester is especially reflective, which is what most netting is if my information sources are correct.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by dscotthep View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been told that there are much better dyes on the market than what RIT offers. I've never tried any of them (yet!), but Dharma Trading has been highly recommended in the past.
    True.
    I mentioned RIT because its monopolized the everyday retail shoppers market. Its available everywhere, but the specialty dyes are used by crafters, cottage businesses and those who care enough to go out of their way to educate themselves and order it online. I think here at hammock forums, you've got a mix of interest. But most want to go with a finished ready made product for a single personal use job....quicker & easier.

Hammock
    10' extra wide Appalachian
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    CRO, HG, DIY CDTs
    Suspension
    descender rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    Same here. Light colors reflect not just outside but inside.
    I've noticed polyester is especially reflective, which is what most netting is if my information sources are correct.
    I wonder if the reflectiveness of white is what makes it popular as netting in hotter climates as mentioned above by Yarome. Especially if it's reflecting the heat as well as the light.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    No bugs,
    I don't know. But, I think you've got a good point.
    Seems like that might be a lot of hammockers main concern.
    Its like an oven in the direct summer sun and really uncomfortable....black that is.
    My next net will need to be very breathable. Some nights are so hot its hard to sleep. I normally am awake early and park my hammock in the shade, so color won't be a personal issue.
    The evening when I'm going to relax and its feeding time for those little politicians is when I kick them out of my kitchen.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    White will be very very hard to see out of! Stick with tried and true....black.
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12