Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images

DIY under quilt 0 degrees

Looking to make a DIY 0°” underquilt just wondering how Many ounces there are in a 0 if anybody has done this?
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mistone View Post
    Looking to make a DIY 0°” underquilt just wondering how Many ounces there are in a 0 if anybody has done this?
    Ounces of...

Down? 9 can be done.
    Fabric? If you go super light, around 6-7 can be done.
    Altogether including suspension, (grosgrain) hemming, etc.? Probably 18-20 can be done.

This comes from someone who's planning his own. Others might have more real life measurements.

Chris

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Search for a down calculator. That will help you determine baffle height, loft needed for your desired temp of 0*, and how much down will be required based on the fillpower of down that you use. There are several in this forum. Dubberdesigns.com has one also used for topquilts.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Thanks for the info I will check this out
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DIY 11' Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I would recommend checking out a reputable quilt manufacturers website to see how much down they use based upon the dimensions of the quilt. For example, UGQ quilts are notoriously known to have an adequate amount of down in them for their temperature rating. Check out the "Specs" portion of the Bandit Top Quilt to see how much "Fill" is in the quilt. For example, their Bandit quilt that is 72" Long and 50" wide sports 21.38oz of 850 FP Down.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LooseGooseDownSupply View Post
    I would recommend checking out a reputable quilt manufacturers website to see how much down they use based upon the dimensions of the quilt. For example, UGQ quilts are notoriously known to have an adequate amount of down in them for their temperature rating. Check out the "Specs" portion of the Bandit Top Quilt to see how much "Fill" is in the quilt. For example, their Bandit quilt that is 72" Long and 50" wide sports 21.38oz of 850 FP Down.
    I love what you guys are doing for the DIY community. It's funny from a customers (buying a finished product vs making one) view point. Just the down looks like it will run $175 and then the shell......probably a minimum of $230 for a finished DIY product. Pit that against what the Cottage Vendors are making.......
    I love DIY but I leave the down to experts. Happy sewing all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    If you use the quilt calculator I'd suggest a decent amount of overfill, I've found it on the lean side. I like the idea of using numbers from reputable manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    I love what you guys are doing for the DIY community. It's funny from a customers (buying a finished product vs making one) view point. Just the down looks like it will run $175 and then the shell......probably a minimum of $230 for a finished DIY product. Pit that against what the Cottage Vendors are making.......
    Agreed, down defiantly isn't for beginners. I messed with it once when I gutted a down comforter to make an UQ and I'm loath to do it again.

If you want to save some money and don't mind a small weight/bulk compromise, then Dutch's new UP synthetic insulation might be a good choice, it's comparable to 625 fill power down. I just made a top quilt with it and have been impressed thus far.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Buying a ready made quilt can be very reasonable considering the work that goes into it. If you are looking to save money, DIY isn't always your best bet but it can be a lot of fun and you get exactly what you want.

I've made a DIY hammock, bridge hammock, tarp, UQ, TQ, rain skirt, and various bags. I like to sew. It's a part of my hiking/camping hobby I can do when I can't be hiking or camping.

Also, if you are fine with a lower fill power down, you harvest it from down quilts from thrift stores. I've picked up Queen size quilts for $10. Some of them have down in about the 700 fill range.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    Buying a ready made quilt can be very reasonable considering the work that goes into it.
    That was me. Even small mistakes at 0 or 10° are evident and quickly punished. If I get cold at night, I don't want to be thinking "what did I do wrong"? Cold camping is already enough work.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thank you everyone! We are trying to bridge the gap between affordability and quality. We also want anyone who is interested in working with down to have the opportunity to do so without breaking the bank. If anyone needs any help with their build or has any questions feel free to reach out to us, we would love to help.

Cheers!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast