Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    to many to list
    Suspension
    straps cinch buckl
    Images

Keeping hands warm in the winter

I love winter camping but my fingers get cold when I set up and take down my gear. What equipment can I use; i.e tarp lines, hammock suspensions, and clothing. Any suggestions would help.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Get a pair of rag-wool flip-top mittens... I find that mittens are warmer than gloves for hanging around, and if you need dexterity, fold'em back and your finger-tips are free

>> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    4me, I choose simple quick release nonjamming knots. Never tried it—nomadic tribes in Siberia are able to tie Siberian hitch while wearing leather mittens!

Now for your solutions. You will want something fast, to minimize exposure of fingers2cold.
    Check out, all offerings by at least these vendors:
    Dutch at Dutchware Gear
    Anne Marie At Autumn Ultralight
    Jeff at Myers Tech
    JacksRBetter

Have fun with your suspensions and ridgelines, best knot2 get tied up in details while you hone your own style

If I’ve misspelled any vendors names, please forgive me

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    Hello, whoopie slings for your hammock suspension and adjustable Ridgeline with a Dutch stinger requires little dexterity and just quick to adjust

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    I use these hotshots convertible glove/mittens. I like two main parts: First, they have a warmer pocket on the flap, and second, even when you have the mitten open, there is a glove layer, so your fingers aren't fully exposed. I have had no issues with whoopie sling hammock suspensions and a small titanium clip for my tarp ridgeline when I'm wearing these gloves.Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 10.08.17 AM.png
    Tree Rhino
    YouTube Channel-------------Website
    Twitter------Instagram------Facebook
    not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Very little finger dexterity required "no hassle" connectors...

Whoopie's and UCR suspensions

If you like "bling"...

Nama Claws
    LoopAlien GTI's I don't have these yet, but tick all my boxes for what I'm looking for.

When my fingers are cold I don't like to be messing with making little loops to fit over this or that, feeding straps through metal slits, might require fine manipulation (ie. pruskik's) or that might be a bugger to work loose if they freeze up. If they do, I like having decent tail end line for leverage to work them loose.

Other factors can come into play too. Like the size and type of line you're using. One connector system might work well with stiffer line, but fail with smaller/softer lines, etc.

IMO, it's really more about what works for you though than there really being any difinitive "best" cold weather system.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Layering, starting with wristies, then gloves, then overmits. Supplement with handwarmers, in between finger tasks. (I was surprised to find that they work.) Choose your gear for winter camping so it passes "the mitten test".

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post

+1
    I used to have a pair of these in brown(probably merino wool) that were the best "glittens" I've ever found. They were very camo for hunting and warm enough for sitting still for hours. If you just need a couple fingers and thumb, the rest were still in the sleeping bag. (Thumb slot feature too)
    Wet, no problem. Didn't hardly notice.
    For REALLY cold weather, a polypropylene (or thin equivalent) glove liner fit and would allow sensitivity when the fingers were exposed.

Unfortunately, the camouflage quality was TOO good.
    I removed them, forgot about them and haven't found them since. Which reminds me that my fallback mittens need a reflective or bright colored strip sewn into the cuff....so I can see them if I set them down. They are a gift from my late uncle. I can't find another pair like them to ID. They are OD green boiled wool that has finger and thumb slots covered with leather cover patches. He served in the korean war so I'm thinking they are probably that vintage.

So, there's a bunch of options already on this page and I'll add a few more later.
    Last edited by Equalizer; 12-15-2019 at 18:26.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines

Question

Bison / Buffalo DOWN Fingerless
    http://www.lestersbisonfarm.com/The-...n-Gallery.html
    I'm having trouble posting the pic, but you can visit the page if interested. I'm not affiliated with Mr. Lester or his business.
    The verbage below and phone# is from his online store.
    Visit us at the farm or call us at 847.343.8240
    surprisingly soft, seriously strong
    soft as cashmere, lanolin-free, moth-free, washable and odor-free
    all of our Bison Quality Products
    are made with
    Lester's Bison Down
    Superior to wool, Bison Down is warmer, softer, lighter and without the itch. Better than any natural fiber at wicking away moisture and keeping you warm.

Fingerless Gloves. $65
    Bison Wool Gloves. $70
    Bison/Yak Blend Crew Socks
    Mittens..
    Visit us at the farm or call us at 847.343.8240
    ------------
    These are pricier than lambs wool by far, but you can read up on the benefits if you're interested. Main thing is that they are supposed to retain the most heat when wet. If your looking for the finest gloves, Buffalo Down is non-scratchy and durable from the literature and reviews, forums.... The reviews say that its super soft and machine washable. The Down is the fine under fluff that is rubbed off at shedding or brushed out at harvest. They are supposed to be popular with ice fishermen.

I talked to the rancher on the phone; a very interesting man. Two years ago I asked if he would talk his knitter into stitching a mitten flap over the fingerless pair and thumb slot like the pair that I lost.

Anybody else interested?
    I'd buy a pair if the price was comparable to what's listed.
    IF enough of us were interested, I think it might be worth it to them to do that. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
    Last edited by Equalizer; 12-15-2019 at 19:04.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    *trying to imagine brushing a buffalo *
    Nope. Can't get there!
    Nice gear!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast