Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon netless wide 11"

looking to jump head first.

New to hammocks, but not camping. I live in Oregon, so there are many opportunities out here for amazing hammock outings. Looking to complete the timeline trail as soon as i obtain all my gear. Right now i have a wide 11" dutch 1.6 hexon. I have it set up in my garage and have no complaints. Looking into making an under quilt if anyone has any tips. I have an old king down comforter that i want to harvest from. And i have my eye on a super fly tarp.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey feller.
    Have fun making some gear. Grab a coffee or brew and check the DIY Section on here for some ideas....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Yourself-(DIY)
    Make sure to check the STICKIES too......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9-DIY-Stickies

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Recycling down is a great way to save money. There are a lot of previous posts of people making underquilts. I've made a topquilt and it was labor intensive, but very rewarding. Like you I cannibalized some down from an old king size comforter. Fortunately, after all of the work to create the shell, the down lofted properly and everything worked out. I would say make sure the down is in good shape before using, as a lot of work will go into creating your underquilt shell.

Do you already have a sewing machine?

There are countless different baffling styles and underquilt designs out there, so you will be able to take your pick. User Pharmgeek put together some good videos from his diy projects and many others have as well.

Good luck in your journey. If the task seems too daunting, rest easy that many of the cottage vendors here provide excellent underquilts for very reasonable prices, considering the amount of work involved. Also keep your eye on the For Sale thread, as users list their used equipment, sometimes for very good prices.

I started with Costco Down throws and used a 2QZQ Unerquilt protector to build a combined underquilt with water proof underquilt protector built in. Might be useful in Oregon.

Simply Light Designs has a model you might be able to work from. Hopefully this helps some.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Welcome to HF! As long as you are hanging, there is no shame in your game no matter what gear you use to do it.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

• + New Posts