Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Wet is wet. I didn't take notes for future interrogation.

Sorry, I thought they had stopped using silnylon on their undercover. Apparently, they haven't, but 2QZQ definitely discontinued their silnylon UQP.

The point is, there is condensation from your breath. That condensation doesn't exit through vents - it stays in the hammock. If you want it to collect on your frost bib, then that's an option, but it doesn't miraculously exit through bugnet vents.
    Without any question, that is true, and is exactly what I have always said. We agree on that, and always have. Hence my use of frost bibs(usually) inside of any sock, regardless of vent holes or breathable material. Using a sil-nylon UQP, or perhaps to a lessor degree any UQP, without the use of another interior, warm, VB , can obviously lead to trouble. Many people do not understand this concept, and thus they get the predicted condensation when their vapor contacts the COLD layer that is farthest from their body and is at or below the dew point. Lack of understanding of these basic law's of physics no doubt contributes to the unpopularity of such products, as most demand maximum breathability. But, I'm sure you are aware that there are some people who even complain of condensation even with breathable UQPs.

In fact, there is fairly consistent condensation inside of our breathable quilts- unrealized on short trips with sunshine, as it is absorbed in the down and most people do not weigh their quilts or measure loft to put the breathability to the test. Some one here ( CMoulder? not sure) just weighed their quilt after one night and 35 minutes drying time, and I think the weight increased a bit over an ounce? That would be from condensed body vapor- unless it was absorbed sweat. A few nights of that could make a difference, especially if you don't start out with quilts rated 10 or 20F lower than the lowest expected or likely temps, as some folks here routinely do. Me, I routinely use quilts under rated for the lowest likely temps, and sleep dry and toasty.

Also, on the Shug's example you used, were his socks/over covers with vents made of breathable material, or not? Breathable, right? Of course! And yet even with vents he still needs a frost bib? Yes he does, because it is irrelevant whether that material can "breath" once it is below the dew point. Just as it is irrelevant that his frost bib is extremely breathable fleece, it still collects massive condensation. At some point, breathability becomes a fantasy. And that point is when our quilt shells- or even worse, 1/4" inside our quilt shells, drop to the dew point. Have you ever slept out under the stars and woke up to a thick layer of dew or frost encasing your TQ shell, when there was not much sign of dew any where else? I have. One more about Shug's tests(please correct me if I'm wrong, Shug): do you remember one of his pod tests, when he opened up the layers of his very breathable stacked quilts, and had not just some dampness, but actual frost inside one of those layers? Don't be in denial about the fact that you get some condensation inside your breathable quilts, because a little or a lot, depending on conditions and length of trip you do.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthofingers View Post
    Question: Do you always sleep in VB shirt and pants or is there a temperature below which you'll use the VB sleep clothes?
    Are you asking me? Traditionally, I used them- if at all- only for the coldest temps. But in the last few years, as I have continued experimenting, I have been pushing the upper boundaries of when I can get away with using them. But, this requires use of LESS insulation and/or being aware and venting at the first sign of over heating. Notice that term: "over heating" as oppose to "too cold". OTOH, I am clearly not going to use them in warm weather. All though, I have been amazed when, just for experiments, I have found that I can sit around for an hour or 2 in the house, at normal room temp, in a lined VB shirt from Stephenson's Warmlite, and not over heat or sweat. But it can get tricky, I must pay attention to my warmth level.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Without any question, that is true, and is exactly what I have always said. We agree on that, and always have. Hence my use of frost bibs(usually) inside of any sock, regardless of vent holes or breathable material. Using a sil-nylon UQP, or perhaps to a lessor degree any UQP, without the use of another interior, warm, VB , can obviously lead to trouble. Many people do not understand this concept, and thus they get the predicted condensation when their vapor contacts the COLD layer that is farthest from their body and is at or below the dew point. Lack of understanding of these basic law's of physics no doubt contributes to the unpopularity of such products, as most demand maximum breathability. But, I'm sure you are aware that there are some people who even complain of condensation even with breathable UQPs.

In fact, there is fairly consistent condensation inside of our breathable quilts- unrealized on short trips with sunshine, as it is absorbed in the down and most people do not weigh their quilts or measure loft to put the breathability to the test. Some one here ( CMoulder? not sure) just weighed their quilt after one night and 35 minutes drying time, and I think the weight increased a bit over an ounce? That would be from condensed body vapor- unless it was absorbed sweat. A few nights of that could make a difference, especially if you don't start out with quilts rated 10 or 20F lower than the lowest expected or likely temps, as some folks here routinely do. Me, I routinely use quilts under rated for the lowest likely temps, and sleep dry and toasty.

Also, on the Shug's example you used, were his socks/over covers with vents made of breathable material, or not? Breathable, right? Of course! And yet even with vents he still needs a frost bib? Yes he does, because it is irrelevant whether that material can "breath" once it is below the dew point. Just as it is irrelevant that his frost bib is extremely breathable fleece, it still collects massive condensation. At some point, breathability becomes a fantasy. And that point is when our quilt shells- or even worse, 1/4" inside our quilt shells, drop to the dew point. Have you ever slept out under the stars and woke up to a thick layer of dew or frost encasing your TQ shell, when there was not much sign of dew any where else? I have. One more about Shug's tests(please correct me if I'm wrong, Shug): do you remember one of his pod tests, when he opened up the layers of his very breathable stacked quilts, and had not just some dampness, but actual frost inside one of those layers? Don't be in denial about the fact that you get some condensation inside your breathable quilts, because a little or a lot, depending on conditions and length of trip you do.
    I do get a little bit of frost sometimes on the Pod System at the footend but it is usually on and just under the down jacket I slip over the end of my hammock. That is where the warm air seems to escape out so as I am usually using that in extreme sub 0º temps this seems normal to me. Never affected my system.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

Winter sock - how warm?

I don’t use a top cover on my hammock. I like the feel of cold air on my face while sleeping, (sometimes I use a bug net). To capture condensation I use a heavy wool loose weave scarf. When I sleep on my back, I place it under the top quilt between my chest and top quilt. I bring it out under my chin and lay it over the top of the quilt. Condensation from my breath falls on to the wool scarf and freezes there. When I wake up I take the wool scarf and shake off the ice crystals out side of the hammock. Except for a small spot or two where the temperature is above freezing near my face, the top quilt stays dry. If I sleep on my side, I place the wool scarf out in front of my face where condensation from my breath will crystalize and land. Like Shug's frost bib, once the condensation from breathing freezes on the bib it's captured. If the temperature stays cold the condensation remains captured. As far as condensation caused by sweating, I sleep in a long sleeve t-shirt, light weight base layer bottoms, pants, medium weight merino wool socks and a wool hat. It takes a little time to warm up when I first get in the hammock and it's cold when nature calls at 3:00 AM but I don't over heat. This is what works for me. Hope you find a remedy.
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Lot of good thoughts here. I see some people using "condensation" when I think they mean "water vapor". Eventually water vapor given off by one's body reaches a cold enough surface that it condenses. We all need to fine-tune our winter camping systems to suit a whole range of conditions - a task I find increasingly difficult as I do less winter camping these days, so I'm grateful for input from Shug and others who spend more time in the woods in winter (also a bit jealous ). I try to get to Mt. Rogers each January, if only to keep myself a little bit in touch (and to find out what Hickery and Slowhike have been up to.) The past few years I've relied on having one side and one end of my over-sized Ogee tarp staked down to block prevailing winds, rather than using a sock-tent. When I had my best winter set-up, some years back, it had an insulated sock-pod, then a Pertex fabric sock, then a tarp. Air temperature inside the sock tent was often 40 degrees + when it was below 20 outside. That heat was produced by me and a dog, with some help from hot water bottles. The best part of that system was that the water vapor given off by me + dog passed through top quilt and sock-pod before it condensed on the Pertex sock. That fabric, like some others, such as Momentum 90, has much more surface area on the outside (slightly fuzzy) than the calendered inside suface. Water (recently condensed from water vapor) travels the short distance to the outer surface by capillary action, where it freezes. I would typically find considerable frost buildup on the outside of the sock and only a tiny bit on the inside. Believe me, outside is better. It avoids mini-snowstorms inside the sock when you start to move around.

Nowadays, I use a piece of "Zorb" (extremely absorbant diaper fabric) over my face to keep all the condensed water vapor under control somewhat. It also keeps my nose warm. This probably functions a bit like Shug's frost-bib. My approximation works okay for one or two night trips, but for an extended trip I'd want to put some serious thought into improving it. Somebody once used a tube of fabric from his face to a vent in the sock, so he really did make sure the vapor didn't condense on the outside of his top-quilt. ... Hmm. Maybe I need a shake-down trip before Mt. Rogers.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    wow you adult children really ran with that ball.

yes I get condensation but it's never really wet. it's usually frozen onto my top cover, and when I unzip it some frost rains down on me. before I had a chameleon, I never had a top cover, and instead the frost would be on the underside of the tarp and rain down on me whenever the wind blew. tomāto tomäto.

those of you who've been around might remember that I did an experiment layering two tarps to prove to someone that it wouldn't make it warmer (like a storm window does).

the results were that while it didn't really increase any warmth, what it did do was decrease the condensation underneath the tarp. I reasoned that it was probably because the snow would sit on the outer tarp and the inner tarp separate the cold air coming from the snow and the warm air coming from your body meaning that there's a buffer zone between the two tarps to help keep them from interacting. This allowed the warmer air to get closer to the doors before it condensates and freezes. because that was where I was seeing frost.

this had less effect the colder it got, and in humid foggy conditions, of coarse, EVERYTHING had condensation on it.

so with the top cover on now, the condensation is only inside on the top cover and hardly any at all on the underside of my tarp.

I thought about modifying the top cover so that it leaves my head out, but then the condensation will collect on the underside of my tarp again. I guess the only time that might be preferable if when the temperature is right at the edge of the dewpoint, and the condensation doesn't freeze

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    oh but the top cover is more effective than just a bug net is, and to add to shugs point, I'd rather that the top cover had a bug-net vent on both sides, rather than just the one, cuz I usually want to leave the one side open so I can look out, at least during the day.

The truth is, the only way to keep condensation down is to adjust the dew point. and that means hot tent

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    oh but the top cover is more effective than just a bug net is, and to add to shugs point, I'd rather that the top cover had a bug-net vent on both sides, rather than just the one, cuz I usually want to leave the one side open so I can look out, at least during the day.

The truth is, the only way to keep condensation down is to adjust the dew point. and that means hot tent

Of course I might be in denial, but I did have that condensation free(except for the quite wet frost bib) night inside a sock linked to above, at +6F. I suppose in addition to the frost bib, VB clothing contributed to the dry results. Also, it was also only one night, I have not attempted to repeat it. It is rare for me to sleep in a sock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I do get a little bit of frost sometimes on the Pod System at the footend but it is usually on and just under the down jacket I slip over the end of my hammock. That is where the warm air seems to escape out so as I am usually using that in extreme sub 0º temps this seems normal to me. Never affected my system.
    Thanks for that info, Shug!

Images
    Earlier I mentioned that someone mentioned weighing their quilt after one night and about 30 minutes drying time. I was right, it was Cmoulder, in this thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...63#post1999963
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Last night I camped with temps mid-teens, no VB. Quilt was wet on top head, torso and even some in the leg area. Curiously none at the feet, because I wore my somewhat damp socks that were dry this morning. Wind dropped to calm overnight, don't know relative humidity but seemed about mid-range.

Next week I'm all-in VB if we get similar conditions, which we should be seeing around Wednesday, to see what happens.

Someone in one of the other threads asked how much water weight gain there is in a quilt. I let the quilt air dry for about 35 minutes after taking it out this morning, so the results are affected by that, although temp was around 20°F, so I don't know how much evaporated or froze into the quilt. It seemed, subjectively, pretty wet. Weighed it at home this morning and weight was 23.6oz, and it is 22.08oz dry, so the weight increase was 1.52oz.

The test venue!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast