Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    Chappy, look forward to hearing how the trip went, trail conditions, and what to expect. It will really help us plan this outing. Thank you.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG WinterPlace
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Trip report from 01/19/2020
    Jumpoff Rock TH to Camp 7
    From Jumpoff turn left walking up the road. Go over the bridge and turn right onto the trail.
    Start at approx. 460 elev and climb to approx 620 elev with switchback over about 1/4 mile.
    From here you walk approx 3/4 mile to a creek crossing then walk along the creek on your right. Trail will turn left and begin a climb from 600 elev to Little Long Mt 920 elev. (Trail is well marked but watch for the turns. Some of the trail is on fire roads then turn off onto a path trail.) Little Long Mt is where the 3 sided shelter is. Has nice 360 degree view but no hammock site there. From Little Long Mt went towards Moffett T.H. there is a spring between there about 1/2 way. Moffett TH approx 800 elev. From Moffett walked to King Mt 1020 elev. Small creek approx 1/2 between them. No views from King Mt. We then hiked .6 of a mile to the Camp 7 turn off. 890 elev. Camp 7 is .3 off the trail at 800 elev. Camp 7 has good tent and hammock sites. There is a double sided fireplace with heavy metal grates for cooking built in. The was a small creek and spring head there. So water was not an issue.
    Overall easy 5.2 mile hike in. The trail is well blazed. After King Mt. the trail did not look like it had been hiked much so did have to keep up with blazes. This was a quick hike but worked out good for cause rain came in about 6pm.
    I plan to be at Yates if you want to see a few pucs and ask any questions.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG WinterPlace
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Forgot the miles
    Jumpoff Rock TH 460 elev 0.0
    Creek 600 elev 1.0
    Little Long Mt. 920 elev 2.2
    Spring 2.8
    Moffett TH 800 elev 3.0
    Creek 630 elev 3.6
    King Mt 1020 elev 4.1
    Camp 7 turn off 890 elev 4.7 yellow blaze to camp
    Camp 7 elev 800 5.0
    (All elev and distance are approx )

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPY23 View Post
    Just did most of this hike about 2 weeks ago. (5+mikes of it) I will try and put up a short trip report on camp site and water. Went from Jumpoff trailhead to camp site 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chappy - Is this something you might could do with us? We can talk about it at Yates if you're coming to the hang.....

I haven't heard about any storm damage etc on any of the trails....... Maybe someone has if there was any.
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG WinterPlace
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I would like to but will just have to see if I can get more time off work. I plan to be at yates

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPY23 View Post
    I would like to but will just have to see if I can get more time off work. I plan to be at yates

Sounds like a plan. I think PG was locked out of HF so he may be back now but I'm sure we can all chat a bit about the trail, the trip etc.

I've got that pack and other gear I have to break in now. lol

Take off as much as you can so they don't Tax you as much hahaha
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    After discussing with several Chappy and other folks around the campfire at Yates and looking over Chappy's notes and the maps, I've decided to go for a lollygag paced hike on the Uwharrie extension trail. So I'm thinking start on the trail at 4pm on Friday March 27, hike in about 1.5 miles to where the trail turns left away from the creek (Poison Fork) and settle into the trees there. That puts us at the base of the first climb to Little Long Mountain (the bald). We should have a couple hours of daylight left to setup camp and relax, take our time. If we feel ambitious maybe hike the 0.8 miles to the bald and watch the sunset. The next day hike out and back and settle in the trees just north of Little Long Mountain (about 2.5 - 3 miles from Jumping Off Rock) for the evening. That would make for an 8 mile day (1 mph - 1.5 mph) pace. Hopefully, again close enough to the bald to see the sunset if we wanted to and maybe even sunrise for any early, EARLY!, birds. Then on Sunday hike the remaining 2 - 3 miles out; probably getting done by lunchtime.

So the summary is:
    Friday, March 27 at 4pm start on the trail from Jumping Off Rock Trailhead for 1.5 miles
    Saturday, March 28 out and back for 8 miles
    Sunday, March 29 finish back at Jumping Off Rock Trailhead for 2-3 miles

Chappy says there ought to be several water crossings and the maps indicate likewise. I think everyone I've talked to are experienced so use you best judgement.

I think this will be a fun relaxing hike and a good one to get back into the hiking season (at least for me).
    --Shaw.

Hammock
    Dreamhammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG WinterPlace
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Just a note. I did not do the entire extension trail. I stopped at Camp 7. We did an in and back out from jump off to Camp 7. So if you plan to do the entire extension trail your camp and hike back out will be farther than planned. I may try and make it. Just will see how the rest of the month goes. It is a fun and good hike.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    According to REI hiking maps site the trail is about 6.3 miles long, so that should be just over 12 total miles.
    --Shaw.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I went to Jumping Off Rock Trailhead today and got a good look at first part of trail. After parking in trailhead parking lot I walked to the paved road and turned left going East? I crossed a small bridge within sight of parking lot and went 20 yards more and turned right up the trail. It’s marked with a small sign. Trail is well traveled and well marked with white blazes on trees. I went up a steep hill and then along a level ridge, then down hill to creek. Easy to cross on rocks just to right of trail. Using a cane or staff or hiking pole(s) is a good idea to keep from slipping into the drink, but not required. Walked on trail along creek for a ways and turned up hill at double blazes marking turns. Got about halfway? up that hill and turned back to go home.
    Very smooth trail. Water at that first creek and water might be also at camp 7?
    Also Chappy described water elsewhere halfway between two mountains. I didn’t get that far—at best I got 1/3 way to camp 7 before turning back.
    Do not take trail out of parking lot at trash cans and information board since that is Uwharrie Trail South
    We want North on Uwharrie Trail.
    Also I checked out campsite 8, close to beginning of trail. Can hang there but not many good hang spots and no water at campsite 8
    Shaw are we camping at campsite 7 or elsewhere? And if we are camping at campsite 7, will we pass it and go out and back?
    I’m thinking of going all way to camp 7, maybe this weekend, to check it out for water and trees that are easily hypnotized...Lol Possibly camp overnight at camp 7 and trek back out Sunday morning early Early.
    I was most impressed with Gas’s creative alcohol stove that he used to win our “Purdy Boil” contest. With a trail name of Gasxxviii, you know he’s gotta be good. If we had not held a second heat—he would be the champion.
    I’ve been working on some new fast burning alcohol stoves. Phantom, forever the dreamer and seldom the doer...
    I might never defeat Gasxxviii, Hickery and Peeeeetey in “Purdy Boil” contest, but will always be glad to drink coffee with y’all fine bunch of hammock creatures!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-11-2020 at 19:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast