Amsteel length loss per/inch of bury rule of thumb?

I've been looking but can't seem to find a number to "plug in" for beginning length calculations to allow for length loss (to expansion) per inch of bury. Specifically... for 1/8" amsteel, but while I'm at it... would be nice to know for 7/64" as well.

Extrapolating from tutuorials it "seemed" to work around 25%, but in practice, not so much the longer the bury and get's compounded by each bury.

May not be such a thing (down to trial and error), but would sure make life a lot easier on a current project and figured it couldn't hurt to ask, right?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use 25% and that seems be right in reality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Grumble... danged... mumble... sonofa~~.... grumble... reinventin the wheel... mumble...

UCR Calculator - Dohhhhh

Still be nice to know the "behind the scenes" loss percentage.. and this would have come in "really" handy 2 hours ago, but appreciate the work that went into it and will make life a heck a lot easier in future.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For typical hammock-related items the longest bury you're probably looking at is 8" finished for a whoopie or UCR so a ballpark length of 10-10.5" is going to be good enough.

I know that the 'by-the-book' finished bury recommendation for whoopies is 8" with 7/64" amsteel, but in real life I have used significantly shorter buries—5" or so—with absolutely no problems. However, with a UCR I would stick with the longer finished bury... and of course whipping, prusik etc to secure that unloaded end.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I use 25% and that seems be right in reality.
    It's pretty dang close, for sure, and it's possible I may have made a mistake elsewhere, but using the 25% on a 4" bury it was fine. When I did 7" buries on a CL my CL ended up just shy of 1/2" too long. Not "that" big a deal, but the project I'm working on requires more precision to avoid having to "go long" and build in a method for fine tuning the lengths back down.

That's not critical either, I just thought I would ask and someone might come up with a more precise expansion loss number I could plug in. I was just guessing from tuturials with the whole sum of information being, "we're going to add in 1.25" on both sides to allow for expansion loss on the bury's". How they got to that number or was it simply a guesstimation I didn't know.

• + New Posts