Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Winter cover/sock?

I made a winter cover out of a spare hammock. Just put snaps down the ends and a 1/16" shock cord drawstring on the edges. Then, I just put it over the ridgeline, snap it up, and then tighten the drawstrings when i get in. Works well - 5 to 7 degree differential and no discernible condensation. So, well pleased with that. Of course, the problem is that it is heavy and bulky. So I tried a ready made unit that is open at the bottom, like a fronkey style bug net, and has vents at the top of one end. I've only used it one time, so far, but the temp inside stayed the same as the outside temp all night long. Is that because of the vents? It can't be just due to the open bottom, as my DIY cover has an open bottom, but it does seal fairly well around the hammock and underquilt. Even so, I'm sure there are plenty of places to leak. So I'm a bit baffled.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That sounds cool. Would you be able to get a couple of pictures of it just to reference how it all works?

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    That sounds cool. Would you be able to get a couple of pictures of it just to reference how it all works?
    Sure. I was hoping for some input from the "experienced", so maybe this is the wrong forum. Anyway, here are the photos.

Specs:
    Hammock used for cover - 116"x76"
    16.44oz plus stuff sack
    5 snaps on each end
    1 ridgeline snap in the middle of the top
    1/16" shock cord drawstring through the hem on each side
    Drawstring adjustment in the middle of each side
    Usually a 5 to 7 degree F differential, plus prevents drafts
    Mounted on an 11 ft hammock

There is enough fabric so that, with the drawstring fully loosened, you can put the near side up over the ridgeline to get it somewhat out of the way. And it is easily unsnapped to remove. Or unsnap one end and pull it all of the way off of the other end.

NOTE: I'm not sure that the middle ridgeline snap is necessary. Also, next time I will place the top snap farther down - maybe 4" from the top

The first photo is with the drawstring fully extended. The left side is being blown by the wind. The second photo is with the drawstring tightened. Seals pretty well against the hammock. The third photo is with the drawstring fully loosened and the side pulled up and over the ridgeline.

winter-cover-1.jpg
    winter-cover-2.jpg
    winter-cover-3.jpg

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    5-7° temp differential? No condensation? What were the temps, inside and out?

In my experience with nylon socks, and that of others I hang with, you'll have condensation. Whether or not it causes problems is based on many factors. Frost falling on you when exiting is the biggest annoyance, easy enough to shake out your TQ and flip the hammock over to get rid of the snow. Even frost on your quilt is rarely an issue on a weekend hang.

Temp difference between your diy and the fronkey style could have been no more than weather conditions on different nights.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    5-7° temp differential? No condensation? What were the temps, inside and out?

In my experience with nylon socks, and that of others I hang with, you'll have condensation. Whether or not it causes problems is based on many factors. Frost falling on you when exiting is the biggest annoyance, easy enough to shake out your TQ and flip the hammock over to get rid of the snow. Even frost on your quilt is rarely an issue on a weekend hang.

Temp difference between your diy and the fronkey style could have been no more than weather conditions on different nights.
    37*F out, 35-42*F in with heavy rain. Similar outside temp on the night in the other sock, only not raining then. I've used the DIY cover down into the low 20's, and I do not recall any significant condensation. Always get a decent differential. I'm thinking the vents on the fronkey sock are the issue, but every commercial sock has vents, so I don't know.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I think that's a great DIY design you have. I like that kind of stuff; not overly complicated, and does exactly what you need it to do.

If you aren't having any issues with condensation, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you need to vent, it looks like you can do that by adjusting the drawstring.

I think it's cool!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Thanks. Not too worried about the DIY one, so I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is with the commercial one. It is lighter, packs down small, and can probably make an underquilt protector unnecessary. I'm thinking it's the uncloseable vents, which, combined with the open bottom, act as a chimney - cold air in the bottom and warm out the top.

• + New Posts