Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ridgeline too Taught

Ok, so i added a Ridgeline to my Martians Double. They claim the length is 118", but i measured and it was 113" from gathered end to gathered end. I assume there measurements were end of loop/carabiner to other end of loop..

So i took 83% of 113 = 93.79, so i made a fixed ridgeline of 94" out of 1/8" Amsteel fixed loop on each end. I also replaced the loops they used for the gathered ends, they did not look that strong. I used 1/4" Amsteel and created continous loop. I put these loops through the ridgeline fixed loop i created.

So i hung the hammock and i believe it was roughly at 30 degrees, i don't have a protractor, but using the peace sign or trigger (thumb and pointer) it appeared within those measurement.

i got in and the ridgeline is extremely taught. I cannot bend it up 90 degree with thumb and pointer. Not sure why it is so tight. I tried raising the hammock harness up the trees a bit still seemed to be roughly 30 degree hang and checked again, no different.

Now the hammock was comfortable, i felt i could go to sleep, but at -1 Celcius, it was a bit cool.

The ridgeline should not break since i believe 1/4" amsteel can hold 4,000 lbs.

Any thoughts out there on if i should worry about it or do something to not have such a taught ridgeline?

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    You could always use a UCR to find out exactly what length you like best and then make a ridgeline to that length.

UCR ? WTF?

All these abbreviations. What does UCR stand for?

OK, just looked it up. Similiar to Woopie sling.

I thought about that, but just went with 83 %.. Seemed comfortable. I'll have to see next year when i can try it in my new basement

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Don't worry about it too much.

The important thing is that the SRL (structural ridge line... hammock ridge line) is taking the stress off the hammock itself and that you're getting a consistent sag.

30° is a guide and as long as you're somewhat close to that you're fine. It doesn't have to be exact as long as you're not putting too much stress on the anchor points or are pushing the load limits of the suspension itself.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I think my load limits are quite high. Using Amsteel 1/4" for loop, then 7/64" woopie slings up to Strap on tree. The Straps and Hammock fabric itself i suspect are the weak link

Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    You could always use a UCR to find out exactly what length you like best and then make a ridgeline to that length.
    X2

The 83% is really just a recommended starting point.. not a hard and fast figure. It's really going to vary hammock to hammock and person to person. Being able to add an inch or two one way or the other (like using a UCR or whoopie) will help dial in your personal comfort sag. I kind of learned too that what "feels" the most comfortable when climbing in and kicking back for a minute or 2 doesn't necessarily give me the best night sleep after hours in the same position. Always a bit of trial and error, IMHO.

Hammock Acronyms and Abbreviations

I see so it is a DIY ARL UCR quite similar to a WS

Cool cool cool

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    I see so it is a DIY ARL UCR quite similar to a WS
    Yup. Same principal as a whoopie... just single line, takes less rope to build and lightens the bulk/weight of your lines.

More and more I tend to be using UCR SRL's over fixed.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    In my experience, putting a little Slack in your suspension will loosen up that Ridgeline. I don't have experience with an adjustable Ridgeline but I know that whoopie slings are the magic pill!

Images
    The tightness of the ridgeline is entirely dependent on what angle you hang the hammock, not how you built it. The wider you hang the hammock, the tighter it will get. You only need to change the ridgeline length if you don't like the sag of the hammock that it provides.

Also, i dont think being able to bend the ridgeline is a good test for anything, nor does it make any meaningful difference.

The purpose of a structural ridgeline is to provide a consistent hang, not safety. It wont bear a load any greater than the hammock would by itself (also a perfectly viable option and what i prefer at home).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast