Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies

Is this Overkill?

I saw https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Mult...%2C290&sr=8-36 This thing on Amazon and thought it may be a bit much for a Hammock camping tarp.

Images
    IMO, it's overkill in terms of coverage and bound to be disappointing in terms of quality.
    In cool/cold conditions where that much coverage might be useful, being all sealed up in there is going to result in a ton of condensation.
    There are some people on the forum with that sort of setup (at least the general shape), but most have a wood burning stove inside making it a hot tent and tackling the condensation problem.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    One other problem...length is 110 inches. Just over 9 feet.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    May be overkill and I wouldn't depend on it to actually resist a heavy rain. Amazon has gone to absolute crap in terms of the products that they recommend, the quality of those products, and the reliability of the "ratings", as they call them now.

See for yourself. Products that used to have thousands of positive reviews have been purged of those reviews. Amazon is desperately trying to level the playing field with the cheap garbage and the truly good products. They make a higher margin on the the cheap china junk and they are gaming the system to suit their profits. Selling you a high quality product is no longer in their list of priorities and the organic nature in which reviews led to people buying good products has been artificially manipulated.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    "Overkill" really depends on your perspective. In the middle of a snow storm, this might be perfect. In the middle of summer in the South. Definitely overkill!

The 9'-2" length is, unfortunately, a deal breaker for most of us.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    .. is going to result in a ton of condensation.
    I would think that the condensation issue would be some-what mitigated by the large expanse of surface area relative to the amount of warm air a person generates. My Spindrift can get pretty frosty, much more than the tents in which I've winter-camped.

But, as FL Turtle said, the length is pretty short. It's not going to work with any camping hammock as claimed.

Wayne

Images
    I have one! LOL! My old faithful 10+ year old JRB 10x11 rectangular tarp got torn when a horrendous wind storm came through and took down my metal hammock stand. ( the tarp was attached to the stand, and the stand was not staked and no weight in a hammock to help hold it down. Trees were coming down all over the city, I thought they were coming down in my yard. Even after an all day(24 hr +) rain with lots of storms, all was dry under the tarp. Then during the last hour of the storm, the winds became horrendous, must have lifted the tarp, which lifted the stand, even slightly twisted some the fence post top rail. Anyway, when the stand came down, it ripped a section of tarp off at the line loop for one of the stakes. I have some other tarps around here some where, or could maybe patch this one, but on a whim I ordered this for back yard use.

Why would I do that? I wanted total to the ground coverage. More for privacy from neighbors. And to slow down any small pests(like skunks, cats, dogs) that might want to sniff my hammock or lick my face when sleeping in the back yard. But mainly for privacy from neighbors when day napping. Not too concerned with the shortness. If I need actual coverage of my suspensions, I will just rig up something with garbage bags or snake skins or even an additional small cheap Harbor Freight tarp over one end to extend it. And this thing might stay pitched for days, so I wanted cheap. The sun's rays will destroy whatever I put out there, sooner or later. I paid a few buck's for an extended warranty, seeing as how cheap it is I figured it might need to return it after a month or two.

It did stop the rain and wind. It is cheap quality. All closed up and pitched to the ground, it will indeed trap a ton of condensation, even if being pitched all night and not occupied! I went back out the next morning and got the back of my cotton shirt soaked as I tried to get in the hammock.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-13-2019 at 15:12.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    yeah the model is definitely in a too small hammock... his head and feet are at each end of it and i think his knees are bent to fit in... his feet are definitely in the same side his head is so he's not at an angled lay. He looks like he's sitting up, and can't even scootch down to set his head to sleep if he wanted to

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    yeah the model is definitely in a too small hammock... his head and feet are at each end of it and i think his knees are bent to fit in... his feet are definitely in the same side his head is so he's not at an angled lay. He looks like he's sitting up, and can't even scootch down to set his head to sleep if he wanted to
    He also has a look of distress on his face. Either from the cramped hammock, or maybe constipation. Who knows.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looks more like underkill. The 9.1 ft. length wouldn't work for any of my hammocks, and I'm not even sure what they mean when they say it's 5.8 ft wide and 5.2 ft. tall.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast