Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetkayaker View Post
    I may have to sew him a costco set for his birthday in february or do some more research on the poncho liner option
    I've made both the sewn and non-sewn versions of the PLUQ and find it good for me down to only about 60 or so, fine for summer but that's about it. If your sewing skills are up to it, the underquilt kit from RBTR is an option. I made a full length quilt and had enough material left over that I made several stuff sacks, plus a 2 foot by 3 foot mini-quilt that I sometimes carry for extra spot warmth.

The build is somewhat challenging, but if I can do it (with LOTS of help from my lovely wife) then probably anybody with enough patience can as well. The Apex 5 oz is good to about freezing for me. Make sure you get calendared nylon for at least one side of the quilt to help block wind.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    The DIY hammock, bug net, suspension, bug protection, and ridgeline came to about $70 so with the $31 on the tarp that is about the budget. The underquilt will have to wait for February birthday time. A double layer Costco will probably get him down to 35/40 degrees so that is the way I am leaning.

Now that I looked at the kit from RBTR maybe I will go that way.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Cheapest diagonal lay UQ I have found,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    Cheapest diagonal lay UQ I have found,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This is a great deal, although you would have to put up with the weight. Do you think in really works to 23 degrees?? It looks like it would work down to about 40.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Just a little heads-up; If you decide to go with the blue/gray/tan? polytarp you will want to use a continous ridgeline UNDER the tarp. This helps hold the weight much better than relying on the grommets to hold the tarp up. Don't ask how I know this.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by swj719 View Post
    If you just got it, then you're truly going to love it. I've got several of their 12" tarps, and the last one I got has A bunch extra tie-off points per side and along the diagonal - perfect for making doors. I haven't used it yet (I need to change my forum name to "IForgotWHAT" because I left it at home last hang I went to) but I've used one of my others several limes, and I'm impressed with its strength/durability so far. I don't expect the new one to be any different.

They aren't the lightest tarp for its size, but the difference isn't much when you also compare price.
    I haven't taken it (or any other tarp, for that matter ) out lately, but I set it up in the den earlier. I needed a bigger den. It looked seam sealed and came with some cheap stake-out lines and Y-stakes. It's lighter and felt of at least the same quality as my old Hennessey Hex-fly. I think it will work better for both my Amok Draumr XL and the inexpensive collection of GE hammocks I am starting to try. I definitely need to go make an order at Dutchware though.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Cheap off-brand
    Tarp
    GoldArmour
    Insulation
    Hyke & Byke
    Suspension
    ThermaRest Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Just a little heads-up; If you decide to go with the blue/gray/tan? polytarp you will want to use a continous ridgeline UNDER the tarp. This helps hold the weight much better than relying on the grommets to hold the tarp up. Don't ask how I know this.
    Wait. There are people who don't do this? I mean, wouldn't the single ridgeline just be faster to set up? I mean, add a couple of prusik loops and toggles and boom, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    I haven't taken it (or any other tarp, for that matter ) out lately, but I set it up in the den earlier. I needed a bigger den. It looked seam sealed and came with some cheap stake-out lines and Y-stakes. It's lighter and felt of at least the same quality as my old Hennessey Hex-fly. I think it will work better for both my Amok Draumr XL and the inexpensive collection of GE hammocks I am starting to try. I definitely need to go make an order at Dutchware though.
    The lines aren't bad (and are reflective, so that's a bonus) but while they are serviceable, I've come to utterly hate that type of stake - Frankly, I will deal with the bulk and weight of the classic yellow plastic ones.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    PM sent
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    Why not just a cheap pad for under insulation?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BradA72 View Post
    Why not just a cheap pad for under insulation?
    Or Reflectix. You should be able to get a roll of that at any Lowes or Home Depot. I used that before getting an UQ and still lend out chunks of it to scouts in our Troop who want to try hammock camping. The only problem is it can be a bit slippery under a sleeping bag and you can get condensation laying directly on it. I found that sliding it inside of a fleece sleeping bag, then laying directly on top of that with a top quilt of some kind worked well for me, at least down to the mid-40s. Never tried it lower than that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12