Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images

Present for Christmas HELP

I have a friend that wants to get her boy a hammock setup for the camping club. She is looking on amazon for $130 which will not work at ALL. He is a teen and is already 5’-10. I am going to make a hammock and Fronky bug net with the suspension, but I need urgent help finding an economical TARP and UNDER INSULATION.

I was thinking of just getting a square “blue” tarp and cutting off two corners and sewing up the cut edge in a pinch. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know of a super cheap finished tarp that will work with an 11’ hammock off the shelf?

I was hoping for the under insulation someone would have a poncho liner underquilt or a costco DIY quilt they were not using and would want to sell cheap. If not, where can I get a cheap poncho liner? I don’t have a lot of time so anything finished would be great.

I know this has been asked before but I am short on time in a lot of ways so your help would be greatly appreciated.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    1EC7CB00-6FB5-413E-B1A4-096DDB218444.jpg

So I was thinking of getting a blue tarp and hanging it square (not diagonal as originally intended) The gromits are 18” on center so I can cut off 18” or 3’ to make a hex tarp and use the original gromits. What do you think? This much DIY is doable on top of the hammock and bug net.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetkayaker View Post
    1EC7CB00-6FB5-413E-B1A4-096DDB218444.jpg

So I was thinking of getting a blue tarp and hanging it square (not diagonal as originally intended) The gromits are 18” on center so I can cut off 18” or 3’ to make a hex tarp and use the original gromits. What do you think? This much DIY is doable on top of the hammock and bug net.
    Why not leave the tarp intact? The corner areas you shaded can be used as pseudo-doors. A square or rectangular tarp is much more versatile than a hex.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Hmm, I will have to try that (hang it and see how the doors hang) I was trying to save some weight since they will be hiking sometimes. They hiked a mile last time and he only had a sleeping bag. I don’t think anyone was prepared for the downpour because they hiked back at 1 am in ankle deep mud.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetkayaker View Post
    Hmm, I will have to try that (hang it and see how the doors hang) I was trying to save some weight since they will be hiking sometimes. They hiked a mile last time and he only had a sleeping bag. I don’t think anyone was prepared for the downpour because they hiked back at 1 am in ankle deep mud.
    Yeah, no harm in trying!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I just got a cheap "Gold Armour 12-foot hammock tarp" off Amazon. It was $32 (a couple more for the camo version) and claims to be offered by a US company out of CA. I hope it works for my Amok Draumr XL and a cheap GE hammock I picked up with the tarp until I can afford my dream tarp from one of the cottage vendors. Good luck!
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    OP you might check with RipStop BTR. They are selling hammocks, tarps, etc right now that they made back when they made they kind of stuff. There is another thread here about it. If I can find it I will come back and edit this post to include it.

EDIT: Here is the link the RSBTR thread: RSBTR FIRESALE

EDIT #2: Here is the direct link to the sale stuff on RSBTR's site: FIRESALE
    Last edited by Crazytown3; 12-13-2019 at 16:31.

Hammock
    Cheap off-brand
    Tarp
    GoldArmour
    Insulation
    Hyke & Byke
    Suspension
    ThermaRest Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    I just got a cheap "Gold Armour 12-foot hammock tarp" off Amazon. It was $32 (a couple more for the camo version) and claims to be offered by a US company out of CA. I hope it works for my Amok Draumr XL and a cheap GE hammock I picked up with the tarp until I can afford my dream tarp from one of the cottage vendors. Good luck!
    If you just got it, then you're truly going to love it. I've got several of their 12" tarps, and the last one I got has A bunch extra tie-off points per side and along the diagonal - perfect for making doors. I haven't used it yet (I need to change my forum name to "IForgotWHAT" because I left it at home last hang I went to) but I've used one of my others several limes, and I'm impressed with its strength/durability so far. I don't expect the new one to be any different.

They aren't the lightest tarp for its size, but the difference isn't much when you also compare price.
    Last edited by swj719; 12-14-2019 at 21:58.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Yep, I looked at the Gold Armor on Amazon and thought the same things. Now I just have to come up with under insulation. He can use his sleeping bag for a top quilt for now. I may have to sew him a costco set for his birthday in february or do some more research on the poncho liner option

Did you end up with a tent or are you just planning on doing it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast