Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Honey Badger View Post
    Nice video. You are my favorite channel to watch. I even get my wife to watch with me since your entertaining to her as well. Thanks for the link on how saying early twice got started. Ive been known to randomly do it at home and my wife would ask why. Now I have the answer. Haha.

PS you are a big reason I decided to start a youtube channel. Check my latest video out if you have some time to kill. https://youtu.be/kB8KqnSROPg
    That was a really right goodie of a video. Looks like you fellers love it out there.
    As to hot tents....I like to stay out in the cold. I'm just too lazy to do all that work then worry about feeding the fire through the night. That is just me.
    I see you just slept well in all your down. I like the cut of your jib.
    Whooooooooooo Buddy))))
    Enjoy your You Tube journey and be patient with it.
    Shug

My Thoughts and Ramblings on Making Videos and You Tube
    I put my first video up on You Tube August 6, 2008. It was a unicycle video. First backpacking trip report was done September 7, 2008. I wanted to put it right here on hammockforums but had no idea on how to do that so I asked my daughter. She told me I had to upload it on YT. That got me starting to look at backpacking videos and gear reviews. Most were OK but so many bored me. Talking hands. Not looking into the lens of the camera. They seemed to be looking over my left shoulder the whole video. I have to see the person or I drift. Never have I asked a viewer to subscribe or to like me. Don’t believe in it. If videos are good and have some info and good editing and sound, then folks will watch. And come back and watch again or even subscribe.
    When I think back to that first video or even my most current one I always remember her my daughter saying “Dad, are you really going to upload that with all your singing and dork stuff in it?” I hit publish and told her yes. Then waited to be attacked. You can really only be who you are on these video. You need to be honest. I am always amazed I am not flamed and trolled more though it does happen. I try to answer with a jokey smart-aleck barb and not vitriol. Sometimes I block people who want to word fight. No time for that.

It has taught me that folks will watch anything! Although hammocks, backpacking and most of my stuff in a niche it still amazes me. I answer almost every comment. Not sure why but I see it like talking to people after a show. They want connection. Funny I always find after I do a video, I never script it, that I always, always forget a few bits of info and so come the questions. Even questions on what you did cover in the video. Is it a want for connection?
    I abhor it when I do comment on someone’s video asking a question and they don’t answer. C’mon, I know they are reading the comments. That is a big reason for doing videos. A virtual reach out and connection with humanity. For me it serves the spirited introvert side of myself the same way doing a performance does.
    What truly amazes me is that because you put yourself on video that viewers assume that you are an expert. So not true. When I do a video I am usually passing on something I have learned be it on here or elsewhere and sharing it. But doing a video and going over the process and filming it and mulling it and doing it and figuring it out makes me a better hanger and increases my knowledge base.
    I find folks want inspiration in life. That is what I feel my videos have become more than anything in this social experiment. If they see that this old feller can do it and make time to get out and have fun and revel in the joy of my hammock then so can they. Whether in tent or hammock makes no mind to me.

Filming is a necessary part of videos but it is the editing that I enjoy. Finding the story. And man do I have to watch a lot of me)))) I know that I am indulgent and goof a lot but hanging with the camera is kind of like hanging with a friend that tolerates all your gags and palaver. It is true that I am always slightly embarrassed when I upload a video. Truly the Duke of the Doofs as my wife and daughter will attest to.
    There is a bit of fame or a bit of recognition that comes with it. That too is daunting at times. Happens more and more to me. People invite themselves to backpack with me but somehow I manage to side-step most of that with an honest answer. I tell them it will be disappointing as what you see on video is what I choose to show you and maybe 1.5% of a whole backpacking trip.
    Putting videos on You Tube is like throwing pebbles in a pond. You get some splash and ripples.
    Again…people think I am an expert because I make videos. Nothing could be further from the truth. I just go out and do it and film. That is all.
    Good part is that I can help out some cottage industry folks from time to time showing and using their great gear. Now I have been accused of being a pitchman a few times but really I talk about it because it is gear I think is wonderful and has integrity. Also if I don’t say what it is or add a link or description then viewers will ask anyway. Trying to save some typing. Not matter…I still have to tell many even though it is on the video.
    Yes, I do get free gear from time to time but often tell merchants no…please do not send me gear. I may not like it. I will not show gear I dislike. I have enough alcohol stoves so I always turn those down now. I do take candy!
    Yes, I do get a monthly check from Google for the ads that play before my videos and the print ads in the corner. Some times the check is small and sometimes it makes me yell Whoooo Buddy))) I see it as mad money. Gear money. My feeling is that I work hard on videos and am pretty consistent putting them out so why not. I am not a vendor and don’t profit in anyway on here other than on video views. Not even sure if they count if folks watch them on the thread post on here rather than on You Tube. Makes no never-mind to me.
    Coming up with camera tricks and techniques is really fun and just getting creative with my Canon ELPH 110 HS is a blast. Yes, I do throw it a lot. And use string for shots. Weasel-Cam…those low shots of the trail I love. My favorite part of that is getting home to edit and seeing the trail tread that closely. I would have had to crawl to see it that way while out there. Holding my arm like a boom when filming to keep the camera steady on trips is something I think about. Also I have found that folks will watch a good long pan of campsites and wonderful views. Just pan way way slower than you ever think you would and hold your breath so the camera does not pick up your breathing. Get shots of gear and tarps and cook kits and hammocks and life in camp. Don’t over-use the stick-pic. Keep talking head walking on the trail talk to a minimum. Again…show camp. And show food. Folks always ask about food.
    Solo trips are easiest to film. Trips with two make it different. Love filming with Hickery as we have been friends for over 40 years.
    Bigger groups change the filming dynamic once again.
    Group Hangs even more-so.
    Reviews of gear or a technique require some thought and a lot of do and re-do. Get the facts straight.
    I listen for airplanes…they seem to be flying over every time I turn on the camera so I wait them out.
    Be prepared to ruin and wreck a camera.
    Get a good editing program and jump in and learn to use it. VERY IMPORTANT)))
    Don’t expect your first videos to be great as it does take a bit of practice.
    Use a small tripod to set shots and reduce camera noise when holding and filming.
    Be you. Find your style.
    Learn your cameras settings and practice. Keep camera handy on trail. If you think you should film something then don’t walk by. Film it.
    Try a lot of angles and move the camera in a float around you on long monologues.
    Please look into the camera lens and not the video screen. Total disconnect.
    Now I feel when I backpack that I have to video. I like to. Making videos on trail has changed my perspective on a trip. I see things I never saw before.
    Stopping to set up a shot and getting to regard the subject of that shot has me taking time and enjoying and regarding that moment in the woods.
    I see my hiking partners differently as well. And myself. I edit so much of me out just going on and on about nothing at times yet there is still a lot of me in my vids. iloveme.com :-) Cheap Therapy.
    Mainly the videos are a lazy man’s trip report and I have this wish that my grandchildren (when I have some ) will see that Pa Lived Life and was not afraid to Play. No one ever gives you time…you have to make time for these things.
    The videos are a legacy of sorts.
    And of course I am a show-off.
    I get paid to be.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Do you still have one of your first videos on tarps before hammocks? It changed how I camped and I want to thank you for that plus the many other ways that you have inspired us to get outside.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    Do you still have one of your first videos on tarps before hammocks? It changed how I camped and I want to thank you for that plus the many other ways that you have inspired us to get outside.
    I never really did any filming or videos until I was well into hammocks.

Lets embrace the good ol' snow!!!
    Thanks Carver.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Thanks for watching the video shug and giving all the advice. I am no entertainer so alot of my talks will be probably just the facts and nothing but the facts.
    However I'm hoping to make some fun trip reports. We always have a good time. Just gotta get it on camera.
    Also, when it comes to editing, I can be inspired but I'm just too lazy to get all that fancy with it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for watching the video shug and giving all the advice. I am no entertainer so alot of my talks will be probably just the facts and nothing but the facts.
    However I'm hoping to make some fun trip reports. We always have a good time. Just gotta get it on camera.
    Also, when it comes to editing, I can be inspired but I'm just too lazy to get all that fancy with it.
    Same here. I don't do much fancy editing. Really no need. Just let the story play out.
    It is just a You Tube video not a Hollywood production.

I must admit that I am tiring of doing videos a little bit. Been making them since 2008 and other projects are interesting me more of late.

Not sure what is in the air but this week just had a bunch of douchy commenters. Some just trying to push my buttons. Some political. I always delete political comments as backpacking and other stuff are my escape from all of that. Some just won't leave it be. It gets arduous. Can take the fun out of it. But that is the nature of You Tube if you are on for a long time and get a bit successful.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon / Banyan
    Tarp
    Cubin fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ TQ / loco UQ
    Im in the younger social media generation and i turned all my social media accounts off because of the down sides to it. One of which is politics and another because of negativity. So I hope, YouTube doesnt turn into that for me. If it isn't fun, I'll just stop doing it. That or I'll turn the comments off haha.

You inspire so many people and your videos are great, so dont let the haters ruin it for the rest of us who enjoy then so much. Haters gonna hate...
    Last edited by OG Honey Badger; 12-16-2019 at 10:44.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Not sure what is in the air but this week just had a bunch of douchy commenters. Some just trying to push my buttons. Some political. I always delete political comments as backpacking and other stuff are my escape from all of that. Some just won't leave it be. It gets arduous. Can take the fun out of it. But that is the nature of You Tube if you are on for a long time and get a bit successful.
    You inspire so many people and your videos are great, so dont let the haters ruin it for the rest of us who enjoy then so much. Haters gonna hate...

Yeah! What Honey Badger said!!

Don’t let the few bad apples ruin what’s been a joy over the years to the rest of us! Just block the obnoxious people and keep on being you! I’m glad you let us see you, being you! Thank you for all you have shared. You will never know how many folks out here consider you a friend even though we have never met you and likely never will. That, too, is a legacy.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Yeah! What Honey Badger said!!

Don’t let the few bad apples ruin what’s been a joy over the years to the rest of us! Just block the obnoxious people and keep on being you! I’m glad you let us see you, being you! Thank you for all you have shared. You will never know how many folks out here consider you a friend even though we have never met you and likely never will. That, too, is a legacy.
    I appreciate that.
    Some days my psyche is just not in the mood for it. I have to work hard to let it go and I abhor hard work!

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I sure hope the keyboard bullies never succeed in driving you away from making videos. Too much good comes from it. And I think most who watch benefit from and appreciate your mojo.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Not sure what is in the air but this week just had a bunch of douchy commenters. Some just trying to push my buttons.
    That's exactly it. Go look at any video with a million views and likes and you'll still find a few "thumbs down". I'm 100% sure those people didn't dislike anything; they're just stirring the pot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast