Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    RIT does have dye for synthetics. I had to dye some beige nylon Northface trousers that I soaked overnight in bleach, because I had previously spilled bleach on parts of them. After that they then looked like yellow golf pants. That's not my kind of fashion statement. Then I asked around and discovered this dye for synthetics. They are now brown all over. I got it at JoAnn's or Walmart.

https://www.ritdye.com/type/dyemore-for-synthetics/

As for other strap coloring, a few years ago, on one set of my kevlar straps, the shorties, I used a large jumbo black sharpie. Worked fine. But I also wanted some long camo kevlar straps. I bought four colors of flat camo rattle can paint. They're out in my storage shed so I don't want to go look and shovel out snow --, but some are Krylon brand and I think one or two are Rustoleum. All are flat camo. Easy to find. Made the straps stiff but so what, they no longer look like straight lines from a distance, as black ones or beige ones do. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
    RIT does have dye for synthetics. I had to dye some beige nylon Northface trousers that I soaked overnight in bleach, because I had previously spilled bleach on parts of them. After that they then looked like yellow golf pants. That's not my kind of fashion statement. Then I asked around and discovered this dye for synthetics. They are now brown all over. I got it at JoAnn's or Walmart.

https://www.ritdye.com/type/dyemore-for-synthetics/

As for other strap coloring, a few years ago, on one set of my kevlar straps, the shorties, I used a large jumbo black sharpie. Worked fine. But I also wanted some long camo kevlar straps. I bought four colors of flat camo rattle can paint. They're out in my storage shed so I don't want to go look and shovel out snow --, but some are Krylon brand and I think one or two are Rustoleum. All are flat camo. Easy to find. Made the straps stiff but so what, they no longer look like straight lines from a distance, as black ones or beige ones do. Hope this helps.
    Thanks a bunch. I ordered some of the chocolate brown color.

And the other spray paint idea makes sense and is something I had not considered... good point about breaking up the pattern. Maybe add in some other blocks of color to accomplish that.

I forgot to mention that I also ordered some of the camo polyester webbing from Dutchware, just in case.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-13-2019 at 22:41.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    hmmm.. so your new tarp is going to do a camo disappearing act, so are your straps and now your guy lines too. Plan for a way to get back to your rig if you walk away from it in the dark. Right now it lights up like a flame thrower with all the reflective cord, and you've gotten used to that.. and afterwards it's going to be pretty much invisible..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    hmmm.. so your new tarp is going to do a camo disappearing act, so are your straps and now your guy lines too. Plan for a way to get back to your rig if you walk away from it in the dark. Right now it lights up like a flame thrower with all the reflective cord, and you've gotten used to that.. and afterwards it's going to be pretty much invisible..
    Haha! Could be dangerous!

I will have to save a POI on my Ambit just to be safe.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Haha! Could be dangerous!

I will have to save a POI on my Ambit just to be safe.
    Not a bad idea regardless of the camo... Takes two seconds to do. And the location is saved for future use too.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Got the tarp and was able to set up ridge line and guy lines today.

Used the black polyester webbing for hammock suspension and it does indeed stand out more than I had anticipated. Otherwise the camo seems to work pretty well, certainly quite effective when foliage returns. The guy lines are Lawson Guywire dark olive and they really disappear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I got the Rit dye for synthetics and last night did the deed. Color on the bottle said "Chocolate brown," but certainly no better than milk chocolate for these, definitely not 70% Cacao! These straps included the semi-permanently installed Amsteel Evo loops, and it was interesting to see that they took the dye a bit better than the kevlar.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    That's good to see.. curious how they look compared to the black. Sometimes it's the straight line not often seen in nature as opposed to (in addition to) the color...
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    That's good to see.. curious how they look compared to the black. Sometimes it's the straight line not often seen in nature as opposed to (in addition to) the color...
    True... I've though about snipping a couple of sprigs of mountain laurel to hang over them (and tarp RL) in order to break up the line... when I really don't want to be seen.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    If you show up to our next trip wearing one of these... I'm leaving..

That's assuming I actually see you....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast