Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You had permission to camp on their land but they didnt know? How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    In Colorado every place I hang in winter has a pack of coyotes. I love listening to them complain that I am in there territory but I have never felt threatened or scared.
    I am so glad I live in a state that is so big I don't have to ask anyone if I can hang over night. I feel sorry for you folks back east.

I asked because I went to a auction this morning. Its 1.5 hours away from my house, and I didnt want to drive that far so early, and wanted to hammock camp.

The house at the end is who got scared.

The house previous owns all of it.

Im going to try and go back there again, maybe a bit deeper into the woods. Do some bushcraft and hammock sleep.
    youtube.com/c/FancyShoesVlogs

Bought tgis fake Rolex at auction today. Was hopong it was real. But when I got there and picked it up, I knew it was fake. But $45 for a replica of a $45,000 watch that actually works well, probably not a entire waste of money. 995BDE6F-4BEC-4E64-AF88-FC1908F70F51.jpeg
    youtube.com/c/FancyShoesVlogs

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Ive always loved listening to the coyotes howl when Im camping. Never worried me except for last October when some friends were camping with me who had a three month old Newfoundland puppy along. Instead of bringing it into their tent that night as I had assumed they would, they left it out running loose. I could hear the little fellow barking furiously at the edge of the clearing, some distance from our camp and the coyotes howling much further in the distance. I was worried sick that pup would wind up being coyote fodder before morning. Meanwhile my friends seemed to be unfazed. Never hearing a tent zipper, I wound up crawling out of my hammock and retrieving the endlessly barking pup and tying him up under my hammock where my Goliath sized German Shepherd always sleeps. The Newfie pup curled up and fell asleep instantly. No more barking. The coyotes continued their ruckus, as I drifted off to a peaceful sleep. ...a pup off by itself at the edge of the clearing made me worry about the coyotes, but once I had him secured under my hammock with my own dog, I could relax. And, obviously, so could the young pup! Im sure his barking was borne of insecurity. Once he was made to stay in a place that felt safer, he went straight to sleep. Never barked once the rest of the night.

(Ive had deer and raccoons approach fairly near my hammock at night, but never coyotes. I hear them in the distance but never coming closer.)
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-12-2019 at 00:10.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    That poor puppy! I'm glad you were able to give it a safe place to sleep.

How big is a 3-month Newfoundland? I met one that was not quite full grown once; it was about the size of a small black bear. But I'm guessing at 3 months it's significantly smaller.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post

(I’ve had deer and raccoons approach fairly near my hammock at night, but never coyotes. I hear them in the distance but never coming closer.)
    That's been my experience too, even when camped deep in the woods far from civilization. Sometimes their yipping is quite close, perhaps within a half-mile, but I've never had one come into camp (as far as I know). I usually don't take any of my dogs along on backpacking trips, but if I had a smallish one or a pup with me, I would certainly keep it close at night as you did with the newfie. As Red Cinema noted above, some "ki-yoats" do in fact interbreed with domestic dogs and might acquire some of their characteristics. And based on the news reports cited, the possibility exists that you might encounter an aggressive one, but the odds are extremely low. Of all the things that could go wrong in the wilderness, a coyote attack is way, way down on the list.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Fancy Shoes, you have to be braver than you state because if you are camping on someone else's land and you didn't tell them prior to setting up, that's brave. In the south metal flys and questions are asked later even if you have permission. Unannounced presence is just asking for trouble.
    As far as Coyotes go, a buddy of mine and me had a run in with a pack two years ago at the Savage Gulf. We were sitting around the fire and the yips started just after dark. A bit later we had 3 come into camp and started growing at us. Two left.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Fancy Shoes, you have to be braver than you state because if you are camping on someone else's land and you didn't tell them prior to setting up, that's brave. In the south metal flys and questions are asked later even if you have permission. Unannounced presence is just asking for trouble.
    As far as Coyotes go, a buddy of mine and me had a run in with a pack two years ago at the Savage Gulf. We were sitting around the fire and the yips started just after dark. A bit later we had 3 come into camp and started growing at us. Two left.
    I think he had permission, didn't he? But some near by neighbors saw the light on their neighbors property a 1/4 mile away and freaked. Is that right, Fancy Shoes?

TS, only 2 left, eh? Got it. But that is something to take note of, that they came into camp and growled at you. That is something. Wow!

Images
    They will kill and eat your small animals, so be aware of that. Small pets disappear all the time around here, with amazing frequency. I see it reported on a neighborhood web site. I'm sad to say that I suspect it is at least sometimes coyotes or hawks. We even have a few bald eagles around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast