Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My Bouvie pup at 3 months was the size of an adult Cocker Spaniel. Burners are about the same size as Bouvies in early life.

Coyotes in my experience are shy. They never worry me. Our two little dogs are kept very close. My Bouvie sleeps directly under my hammock, he is my built in heater.

Our dogs keep Ricky Racoon and gang away. Ravens and other camp robbers do not care about raiding us if we have the dogs with us.

Sometimes groups that are isolated from the masses have a fear/misunderstanding of how the outside world works.

Near my home in B.C. we are surrounded by Mennonites and Colonies of Hutterites and a few Metes. Urban legends are wild, a major example of miscommunication.

I understand why children would run in fear. Really sad in today's mixed society.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    That poor puppy! I'm glad you were able to give it a safe place to sleep.

How big is a 3-month Newfoundland? I met one that was not quite full grown once; it was about the size of a small black bear. But I'm guessing at 3 months it's significantly smaller.
    Seems like Griz (the Newfie pup) was close to 50 pounds at the time. He will probably top out around 170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    That's been my experience too, even when camped deep in the woods far from civilization. Sometimes their yipping is quite close, perhaps within a half-mile, but I've never had one come into camp (as far as I know). I usually don't take any of my dogs along on backpacking trips, but if I had a smallish one or a pup with me, I would certainly keep it close at night as you did with the newfie. As Red Cinema noted above, some "ki-yoats" do in fact interbreed with domestic dogs and might acquire some of their characteristics. And based on the news reports cited, the possibility exists that you might encounter an aggressive one, but the odds are extremely low. Of all the things that could go wrong in the wilderness, a coyote attack is way, way down on the list.
    Yes...Ive read that the hybrid coyote-dog population has grown substantially in recent years. I think they are called Coys, if I remember correctly. Im pretty sure I saw one run across the street and back into the tree-line in our rural town a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post

Coyotes in my experience are shy. They never worry me. Our two little dogs are kept very close. My Bouvie sleeps directly under my hammock, he is my built in heater.

Our dogs keep Ricky Racoon and gang away. Ravens and other camp robbers do not care about raiding us if we have the dogs with us.
    Same here! My GSD sleeps directly under my hammock when its coldbenefitting from my underquilt even as I benefit from his heat. When I reposition, I sometimes actually feel him there. Never fazes him, though, he holds his ground right where hes laying. In the warm months he lays with his back half under my tarp but his head and front paws outside of the tarp. I always have him tied to a dedicated lash-it ridgeline. He and I both know (from past experience) that if he lunges REALLY hard he can snap the line. I like knowing hes secured well enough to keep him from wandering but not so well that he couldnt break free in an emergency with his adrenaline pouring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123