Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Ooooh! I'm going to have to try this one. Thanks!

Have you tried it on various suspension types (e.g., amsteel + webbing; amsteel + amsteel; webbing + rope; etc.)?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Ooooh! I'm going to have to try this one. Thanks!

Have you tried it on various suspension types (e.g., amsteel + webbing; amsteel + amsteel; webbing + rope; etc.)?
    I have tested it with Myerstech and Venom (both UHMWPE straps), as well as Kevlar and 1/2" Mule tape.

Kevlar had no slippage ever.

Myers and Venom slipped a bit with a very big dynamic load... probably—and it is a very rough guess—about 1000 lb because I was bouncing intentionally on them with all my weight @170lbs with suspension angle about 20-25°. In "normal" usage a 200lb or ligher person would probably never see slippage.

Mule Tape slipped rather badly with a couple of moderate bounces, and the damage was bad with substantial shredding of fibers. Not pretty.

I tested recently with cheap 1" poly straps and they worked fine.

Amsteel-Amsteel doesn't work at all.

J-bend (hitch) is the only thing that has worked with every material combination I have ever tried, even Amsteel-Amsteel, that does not slip.

Photo of my test tree!

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I was taught the same as cmc4free with regards to a bend vs. a hitch (during my adult Scouting years fwiw). So for its hammocking application, becket hitch would be correct.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    “It also amuses me how many hammockers refer to every other knot in existence as a “slippery half hitch” ;-)“
    We use to call it a half hitch with a quick release, I had never heard the term slippery half hitch till I came on this forum.
    But wanting to be one of the cool guys.........
    Lol

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradA72 View Post
    “It also amuses me how many hammockers refer to every other knot in existence as a “slippery half hitch” ;-)“
    We use to call it a half hitch with a quick release, I had never heard the term slippery half hitch till I came on this forum.
    But wanting to be one of the cool guys.........
    Lol
    And, even then, quite often what is being referred to is a slippery overhand (much more secure!) and not a slippery half hitch.

BTW in the photo above the knot used to tie straps to tree is a slipped buntline hitch, my second-most-favoritest hammock knot.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    FWIW,I have switched over to the Meyers Evo Loop as a CL on my hammock.The big honkin' knot gives my slippery suspension better "purchase" for the becket and the use of a little pull cord like Meyers recommends makes untying it a breeze.(even with the knot it is still important to "set" the becket with a good tug before you get in the hammock.)

I have been practicing the slipped version of the lapp knot, and it seems very convenient. It is safe when tied to a closed loop. Be carful if tying to a bight, because there is a dangerous evil impostor of it:
    https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=...13631#msg13631

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ged-fi View Post
    I have been practicing the slipped version of the lapp knot, and it seems very convenient. It is safe when tied to a closed loop. Be carful if tying to a bight, because there is a dangerous evil impostor of it:
    https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=...13631#msg13631
    Confirmation is straightforward. Just make sure the tails both come out the same side of the knot and it is safe. (Depending, of course, upon application, materials and load.)

Indeed, with a continuous loop such as we use for hammocks, it is impossible to make a mistake.

Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    A little off-topic, but there's something disturbingly amusing about knot-related threads on HF. Just sayin'. Sorry for the value-free post.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Confirmation is straightforward. Just make sure the tails both come out the same side of the knot and it is safe. (Depending, of course, upon application, materials and load.)

Indeed, with a continuous loop such as we use for hammocks, it is impossible to make a mistake.
    The Lapp looks straight forward enough, I’m just trying to understand how you actually tie this onto a CL. The only way I can figure is you pass your hand thru the loop, wrap the strap around the CL, then pull a bight thru. Seems a little more difficult than a Becker to make adjustments unless I’m missing something. Any videos on the Lapp Hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast