Ridgelines - Hammock & Tarp

I'm new to hammocking. I'm 49 years old and have camped my whole life. I used to be able to sleep relatively comfortable on the ground. Now i just cannot get comfortable. I've read that hammocks are very comfortable and in fact possibly more comfortable that your own bed.

So i have a few questions to get started.

Hammock Ridgeline:

I'm confused whether i need a ridgeline or not. Does having a ridgeline elimanate the need to worry about the 30 degree angle setup? So does it give the the proper sag without worrying about the height of lines, distance trees apart?

Tarp Ridgeline:

I have Amsteel to use as my ridgeline for my tarp. I was going to run the line through the middle tie out on my tarp, then use prussik knots to stretch out and attach the ends of the tarp onto the ridgeline. However, i've read, prussik knots don't work well on Amsteel? What other knots would be suitable? Instructions/Videos showing setup?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would recommend having a structured ridge-line as it helps keep the sag consistent and takes pressure off the hammock if not hung quite correctly.
    I also hightly recommend a CRL Continious Ridge Line like this line from Dutch. I have these and they work great with the soft shackles.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...type-and-color

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/ WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetles
    Depends on what type of hammock you are planning to use. If you are using a gather end hammock you'll want to use a structured ridge-line like TrailSlug mentioned. It'll make setup a lot easier and there is a calculation (http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/) you can use to figure how long your structured ridge-line should be, but you might still need to make adjustments to suit your comfort level. If you go with a bridge hammock you won't need a structured ridge-line.

For you tarp, definitely go with a continuous ridge-line it'll save you a lot of time when you're trying to center it over your hammock. You can still use a prussik, but you might have do more than three loops around to get it to stay. I've actually replaced the prussik with some dutchware stingerz since my setup requires some carabiners. The stingerz help give me that extra tension that the prussik couldn't provide.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    I'm new to hammocking...So i have a few questions to get started...
    Before you buy anything else, I'd suggest getting a copy of "The Ultimate Hang" from Derek Hansen, or at the very least, read some of the Hammock 101 posts on his website. The book will answer questions you didn't even know you had and will save you money in the long run. Here's a link to Derek's site:

http://theultimatehang.com/

Disclaimer: I'm not Derek, nor affiliated with him in any way. I just like the book.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    outdoor, welcome to the forum. To answer your first question, No, you don't need a ridge line on your hammock BUT it is useful. As you guessed, it eliminates the need to hit that 30 degree mark. But you still need to pay attention because the smaller the angle, the more force you put on your supports. If they are PNW Ponderosas, you probably don't need to worry. The idea is to use that ridge line as more a measure of correct sag. For example, you don't want it too droopy and you don't want it guitar string tight.

Also note that you can have a ridge line that is not "structural" - like if it is made of string instead of Amsteel. It won't hold much force, but it can still act as a measure to let you know when the hammock ends are your desired distance apart.

In addition to assisting it setting up the hammock with the desired sag, you can also use it to support a bug net or hang a ridge line organizer on it to hold your phone, flashlight, car keys, etc.

For the tarp question, you are correct that Amsteel and the like are more slippery than just cord. The trick with the prussic knot is to have the size of the line that makes the prussic smaller than the line it is tied to. For example, if your main line was 7/64 Amsteel and your prussic was 1.75mm LashIt - that would probably work better than using 7/64ths for both.

But I wouldn't use Amsteel for that tarp line. You don't need the strength and in a sense, you want something in the system that will break before your tarp rips. For example. I use regular 3mm utility cord that REI sells for about $50/50ft. I also have cheap split rings on the tarp ends and I attach to them. If the wind force is enough to bend/open those rings, I'd prefer that to a possible ripped tarp.

Back to the tarp ridge line ... In the summer, I run the ridge line over the tarp. If you run it under, it can wear on the underside ridge of the tarp and unless you have a good water break on it, it can be a highway for water to flow under the tarp. But in the winter, I run the ridge line under the tarp. We don't have much rain around here - mostly snow. Under the tarp gives more support if there is a nighttime snowfall. The tarp doesn't have to take all the weight.

Some people like a separate line on each end of their tarp. I have to work with a wide variety of tree diameters so my line runs from the tarp, around the tree, down the length of the tarp, around the other tree, and back to the tarp. I like it because I and make small adjustments by pulling the line instead of having the adjust one end of the tarp and then the other.

I hope you find the hammock to be so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. But do know that sometimes it takes a day or two to get use to the full support. Muscles may need to learn to relax. Often people will post that they want to lie/sleep in a hammock the way the do in a bed. But in a bed you have pressure points and such that are different than a hammock. If you can string a hammock up at home and try a night or two before hitting the trail, you should be fine. I'm not saying you WILL have an adjustment issue; just letting you know that a "first night adjustment" is not unusual.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 12-09-2019 at 15:35.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Structural ridgeline, if for no other reason, to drag yourself out of your hammock. Other comments posted are on the money.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Welcome to hammocks! I'm older than you and agree that going to ground isn't what it once might have been. I get a better nights sleep in the hammock than I do in my bed.

The structural ridge line doesn't eliminate the need to worry about the recommended 30 degree angle, but it does give you a little wiggle room. It's more about setting sag in the hammock than anything else. If you go to flat on the hang angle, you could potentially snap the structural ridge line.

Most will agree Amsteel is overkill for a tarp ridge line. Prussik will work fine on Amsteel if the cordage you use for the prussik is smaller than the Amsteel. That said.. I hate prussiks.

Maybe start with a continuous ridge line for your tarp so that when you come to your senses you can cut it in two and use proper ridge lines at either end. I'm kidding.. Try the CRL first and in the event you don't like it you can cut it in two...

Few resources are better than the Lord of Lallygag... Shug..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts