Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines

Question What are the weights of the doubles?

I'm trying to decide between the grand trunk non-stretch double, (polyester I guess), and their parachute nylon doubles.
    I would like to know what weight per yard and actual weight of the naked hammocks without carbiners or suspension? (I,ve done DIY before, but wanted to buy yardage from RSBTR and unfortunately they limit payment options to electronic transactions only. I'm trying to decide on other vendors, but want to try a GT double and see how I like it first. So weights/yard and (or) weight of hammocks with no accessories?

Both versions are listed at 10.5' x 6.5'.
    They don't list if that includes gathering cord, biners, or just fabric ends on length or weight of the poly ones.

The only info I can find is that the non-stretch (poly?) is 19 oz. No other details available. I want to go Light , but might make exception within limits on this hammock. I've read that very good reviews for comfort and flat lay. Good sleep is most important to me. BTW I'm a side sleeper if anyone can address their own experiences with their double. I appreciate any help on those 3 points.
    Last edited by Equalizer; 12-09-2019 at 01:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    I'm trying to decide between the grand trunk non-stretch double, (polyester I guess), and their parachute nylon doubles.
    [B]I would like to know what weight per yard and actual weight of the naked hammocks without carbiners or suspension?
    Outdoor Gear Lab reviewed a GT Double back in 2014. Here's a link to the review where they note the weight as 20 ounces:
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...d-trunk-double

They also reviewed the Trunktech double in 2017. The weight was about 16 ounces:
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...onemade-double
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    sidneyhornblower,

Thanks for the links! That's a good site I forgot about.
    You must have a better search engine than me because I gave up searching and reading articles after a couple of hours.

The first one on the double sounds promising and assuming they weighed it with the gathering rope and carbiners, sould only be a couple of oz difference.
    I'm not considering the tech , but the specs are more clearly known since they said that it didn't come with any suspension parts. It may be a different nylon at 15.6, which to me is OK.

The other double I'm considering is "diamond ripstop".
    I'm guessing polyester since they state "no stretch."
    Since its listed within an ounce of the nylon double, it sounds like a same weight of different fabrics....assuming they left off all accessories.

I think I'll be best to buy BOTH and set them up once, and sell whichever one this early spring. I need to do that with a couple of others and am getting a collection already.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Just saw the company's promo video on the Tech and was impressed. There's an actual admission of the finer details like 1.1 oz/ yard * yet a 500# weight limit!
    Its nylon and they say the whole thing is, like you've already said, 1.5#s.

I was going to buy some 1.1 varieties from a couple vendors, but was a little concerned if it would reliably hold up a 200# butt. ��

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Dutchware Netless Wide is 15.45 oz and last I checked was only about $30. I have two plus a regular width. And I think 72" to 78" is just too wide. Too much floppy excess material for one person, and, of course, the notion of a "double" hammock, meaning for two people to sleep in, is a myth.
    Last edited by GoneShootn; 12-10-2019 at 10:36. Reason: subscribe

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I have a Trunktech sitting unused since early October when I ordered one of the Dutchware 11' 1.7 wide for $30 base price. The GT was comfy but the hammock was actually a bit less than 10' and it makes a difference.

The company is less than honest in selling them as 11 foot hammocks when they are less than 10 feet minus the loops and biners which makes me dubious over the 500# capacity claimed for a 1.1 oz fabric. Whatever. The extra width is achieved by stitching 6-8" strips along the sides. The seams didn't bother me because the extra width is functionally unused excess in a shorter hammock.

I didn't answer your questions about the weight and wouldn't be able to weigh it until this weekend but pretty much would recommend the DW over the GT based on my experience.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    I have a Trunktech sitting unused since early October when I ordered one of the Dutchware 11' 1.7 wide for $30 base price. The GT was comfy but the hammock was actually a bit less than 10' and it makes a difference.

The company is less than honest in selling them as 11 foot hammocks when they are less than 10 feet minus the loops and biners which makes me dubious over the 500# capacity claimed for a 1.1 oz fabric. Whatever. The extra width is achieved by stitching 6-8" strips along the sides. The seams didn't bother me because the extra width is functionally unused excess in a shorter hammock.

I didn't answer your questions about the weight and wouldn't be able to weigh it until this weekend but pretty much would recommend the DW over the GT based on my experience.
    Thanks for verifying those details.
    I noticed those strips and considered adjusting the width by removing one if needed.
    They really should verify the points they are measuring when starting length, for sure. One foot makes a difference; just as a 5' man will be different from a 6' man when he goes to buy clothes.
    If my memory is right, last time I was at Dutch's site looking at those, a while back, I thought his hammock s were 10.5(10ft 6in) standard length. That's one thing we are talking about now that made me think I should buy cloth and make a longer thats 11', or a larger bridge.
    It's hard to beat $30 and it weight is reasonable.
    Q Gooless: You have the GT Trunk tech. Do you have Any experience with the older models that I mentioned?

BTW, You all make good points.
    GoneShootn', I agree. I just figured on doing what someone at their company recommended if its too wide....remove a stitched on side extention. I've read how some find their standard width too narrow, especially the UL models. Many, on the other hand say their doubles are comfortable for one person. My reasoning is that its easier to subtract than it is to add.
    I also liked the color selection which is important to me. I've had too many boogie men sneak up on me in the night. If they don't know I'm there....um, hows that saying go?
    " What they don't know can't hurt me. " 😉
    And
    The man who reaches not into a badger hole won't get bit.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    Thanks for verifying those details.
    I noticed those strips and considered adjusting the width by removing one if needed.
    They really should verify the points they are measuring when starting length, for sure. One foot makes a difference; just as a 5' man will be different from a 6' man when he goes to buy clothes.
    If my memory is right, last time I was at Dutch's site looking at those, a while back, I thought his hammock s were 10.5(10ft 6in) standard length. That's one thing we are talking about now that made me think I should buy cloth and make a longer thats 11', or a larger bridge.
    It's hard to beat $30 and it weight is reasonable.
    Q Gooless: You have the GT Trunk tech. Do you have Any experience with the older models that I mentioned?

BTW, You all make good points.
    GoneShootn', I agree. I just figured on doing what someone at their company recommended if its too wide....remove a stitched on side extention. I've read how some find their standard width too narrow, especially the UL models. Many, on the other hand say their doubles are comfortable for one person. My reasoning is that its easier to subtract than it is to add.
    I also liked the color selection which is important to me. I've had too many boogie men sneak up on me in the night. If they don't know I'm there....um, hows that saying go?
    " What they don't know can't hurt me. " ��
    And
    The man who reaches not into a badger hole won't get bit.
    I agree about the colors. In my opinion, the only place where those garish colors are appropriate is the beach, not the woods. Sometimes, no strike that, often, the ability to be stealthy is good. I have a nice tarp that is a woods-friendly olive green color, but the edge tape is reflective, so even a small flashlight from 100yds will make it light up like a Christmas tree. Not what I prefer.

Good luck with your choice.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    No. I bought the Trunktech for lounging in a local retail store more-or-less spontaneously prior to a multi-day raft trip. I ended up sleeping in it with a pad and had the best "camping" sleep in years. Now I'm here.

They had the older versions in the store and the Trunktech definitely packed down quite a bit smaller and iirc seemed a bit lighter but I'm not sure. I liked the feel of the fabric which is silkier and a bit stretchier than the DW 1.7 and does not have a visible "ripstop" pattern in heavier thread. My plan was to stick with the GT until next summer and step up to a full featured netted version from one of the cottage companies but the $30 deal was too intriguing to pass up.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    GoneShootn,

OD Green is by far my favorite color.
    My bridge is a good subdued kelly green and I like it but want to use a wider design, so I guess thats why I want to start with a basic double gathered traditional to see how it works. Unfortunately, like RSBTR, Dutch doesn't seem to take anything but card / E payments. That's OK, I found something else I think I'll try. Besides, I'm not winter camping now and have plenty of time before spring.
    It's the time of years the companies like to run sales.

About the color choice. Most people wouldn't believe how many times ive been camping, (not camp grounds), and have had guys sneak up on our (my) position with weapons drawn and raised. We're talking rural areas where I just got away for a little fishing, swimming and hiking for crying out loud! I'm trying to get away from indecent people and relax. LOL!
    I think Discrete colors sometimes helps conceal us from those looking for trouble.
    BTW, you've got a cool handle. I'm all for the good guys doing that..The bad guys need to find our wasp nest when they reach into our safe zone. They're armed. Why shouldn't we be able to defend against criminals....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast