Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    No. I bought the Trunktech for lounging in a local retail store more-or-less spontaneously prior to a multi-day raft trip. I ended up sleeping in it with a pad and had the best "camping" sleep in years. Now I'm here.

They had the older versions in the store and the Trunktech definitely packed down quite a bit smaller and iirc seemed a bit lighter but I'm not sure. I liked the feel of the fabric which is silkier and a bit stretchier than the DW 1.7 and does not have a visible "ripstop" pattern in heavier thread. My plan was to stick with the GT until next summer and step up to a full featured netted version from one of the cottage companies but the $30 deal was too intriguing to pass up.
    I can't blame you. That's a great deal! I'm thinking that the extras might not be too hard to add, even for those of us that don't sew. I picked up a pack of snaps to add those accessories after getting the new hammock. I'll check back when it warms up and I've had time to test it. It might save us some more $ and get it customized just the way you want it.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I kind of grew to like using a seperate, Fronkey style bottom-entry bug net and have found that I don't need it as much as I would've thought. I did the Walmart window shear DIY version and am considering doing one in actual decent netting material that I can easily deploy over a "loaded" hammock. I would then buy/make a variety of netless hammocks in different configurations until I have my preferences nailed and then go all out with the perfect hang.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    That design looks like the easiest in and out of it.
    I'm thinking of a half snapped in place with some extra draped over the legs.
    Weight and ventilation are personal concerns.
    As to color, black is the easiest to see through.
    But, if you buy white sheer curtains, you can dye it any color(s) you want. I'd like to buy a few yards of RSBTR half oz to find out if it allows enough ventilation....if they would sell it to me.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    It works for me and I'm not really fond of zippers. The walmart sheers come in black. The material is bulkier and somewhat heavier than RBTR but it is really tough. At less than $15 for the netting, a hank of light shock cord and a toggle its hard to go wrong. Works out to less than $60 for a quality hammock with a SRL, bugnet and continuous loops.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    It works for me and I'm not really fond of zippers. The walmart sheers come in black. The material is bulkier and somewhat heavier than RBTR but it is really tough. At less than $15 for the netting, a hank of light shock cord and a toggle its hard to go wrong. Works out to less than $60 for a quality hammock with a SRL, bugnet and continuous loops.
    Excellent!
    I guess I mentioned white because my Dad gave me some that he had leftover in storage. Like yours, its a heavier netting polyester and I was thinking of maybe trying different colors of RIT dye that works on polyester. Walyworld had some light OD sheer in their fabric section for a sample of, but found it hard to breath through.

Was looking at craft stores and found a source of that real light shock cord locally...and its free! Its on one of my packs that I rarely use. I never lash anything on it anyhow. think I 'll make two this winter and see how I like each (snaps and shock cord).

Just saw a REALLY nice Woodland camo on sale; probably the best print of woodland 4 color (green, brown, black, and light tan) for a long time.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...g?v=1573596266
    Then I saw that it was sold out! Oh well.
    I just liked that particular woodland over the popular gray (imitation green) that's floating around the past 5 years.
    Last edited by Equalizer; 12-12-2019 at 12:04.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    ....if they would sell it to me.
    Its just that they only accept cards and PayPal. They won't accept prepaid money orders.
    I've found other vendors who do, so I'll just probably wait for them to get in exactly what I want.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines

Thumbs up Grand Trunk Double Diamond Weight

Hey guys,

Update. I ordered both GT Doubles.
    One is parachute Nylon in case I want to use it double duty to jump out of planes too!
    The other is their (dd), double diamond polyester ripstop.
    I bought a few extra for gifts.

When holding them one in each hand, the polyester one is noticeably a little lighter. That's the one that I'll focus on in this post. The d diamond polyester one is advertised at
    19 oz.
    It doesn't specify if the mass includes the gathered end ties and included carbiners or not. Since those will be changed out more than likely for hiking, my interest was the cloth only.
    I don't know industry standards, but I weighed the dd polyester with the end ties removed.
    It was only 15.5 pounds American! That's great since I expected more. After all, its 80" wide.

The ties were stiff and seemed at least twice as dense as paracord. The two, combined weight, was right at 1oz.

The heavy steel carbiners could probably tow a car.
    The pair was little more than a quarter pound.
    I might save those for hanging out in the back yard or tying heavy plywood down on my vehicle.

It was very nice of someone at Grand Trunk to include 3 very nice aluminum carbiners at no extra charge!
    I wouldn't hesitate using those with my suspension once
    I verify the safety limit first. Thank you VERY MUCH if you read this memo! I know where to get more and point others to who need them.

DISCLAIMER: I am in No way affiliated with Grand Trunk. I purchased the hammocks from a very nice representative who answered a phone and (unlike other vendors who lost my business), she accepted payment snail mail . Thank you very much!
    ============================
    Last edited by Equalizer; 12-20-2019 at 00:42.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    "It was only 15.5 pounds"

Whoa, that's way too heavy.

Correction: 15.5 ounces!
    I will check and see how much that cloth weighs per yard soon in case anyone is interested in buying one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12