Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Ossining must have been a shock! But, now, you're the subfreezing-weather canister stove maven!
    In fact, being raised in a warm, flat place I was happy to go someplace with snow and hills and mountains not too far away. Once I learned how to dress and to camp comfortably in the cold I really enjoyed it. Learned a whole bunch more when I got into mountaineering some years later.

I used white gas happily for a long time, but it was my frustration with trying to use a MSR Reactor in the cold that spurred me to come up with an easy way to get canister stoves to work in very cold temps without having to use a water bath or keep the canister in my sleeping bag. Yes, I know it's just a variation on the heat shunt concept but the copper strip is a simple trick that works amazingly well. A couple of mornings ago it was about 7°F and I just fired up the stove as if it were a 70°F summer morning.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In fact, being raised in a warm, flat place I was happy to go someplace with snow and hills and mountains not too far away. Once I learned how to dress and to camp comfortably in the cold I really enjoyed it. Learned a whole bunch more when I got into mountaineering some years later.

I used white gas happily for a long time, but it was my frustration with trying to use a MSR Reactor in the cold that spurred me to come up with an easy way to get canister stoves to work in very cold temps without having to use a water bath or keep the canister in my sleeping bag. Yes, I know it's just a variation on the heat shunt concept but the copper strip is a simple trick that works amazingly well. A couple of mornings ago it was about 7°F and I just fired up the stove as if it were a 70°F summer morning.

I need to modify mine to work with the Jet Boil... It's fine as is when used with the BRS, but doesn't fit in the bottom vents of the Jet Boil. Next trip I'll bring it.. Might just need one end of the strip trimmed by a few mm's but I don't want to muck with it...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I need to modify mine to work with the Jet Boil... It's fine as is when used with the BRS, but doesn't fit in the bottom vents of the Jet Boil. Next trip I'll bring it.. Might just need one end of the strip trimmed by a few mm's but I don't want to muck with it...
    It is difficult to use with some JB burners... it will work with the Flash but you have to make a strip with a curve to clear some structural element... I forget which. Minimo is no problem at all... straight thru the burner from canister to flame.

I'd say stick with the BRS but the Jetboil is simply the best snow melting machine I've ever worked with.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Where did you find 28°F in Florida? It was 80°F when I left Naples last week!
    My personal low was 23*F in Ocala FL during the 4th Annual Florida Hang that has become HangCon. I didn't have LL quilts but would have loved it. Of course George wasn't making quilts in 2014 so that wasn't a possibility.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    but the Jetboil is simply the best snow melting machine I've ever worked with.
    I don't think any of them could match the Reactor though. It impresses me every time. The radiant heat instead of flame and windproof design is amazing. Love the "real" lid. I run mine on propane for winter when pulking. A little bulky for backpacking since I got the large pot.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I don't think any of them could match the Reactor though. It impresses me every time. The radiant heat instead of flame and windproof design is amazing. Love the "real" lid. I run mine on propane for winter when pulking. A little bulky for backpacking since I got the large pot.
    I totally agree since I've seen yours in action many times. Preheating cold water before pouring in in my coffee perk has been a game changer for those cold weather outings! I've had a jetboil for years, but really haven't used it much lately since I prefer to "cook" meals instead of doing cook in bag stuff.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    My personal low was 23*F in Ocala FL during the 4th Annual Florida Hang that has become HangCon. I didn't have LL quilts but would have loved it. Of course George wasn't making quilts in 2014 so that wasn't a possibility.
    23°F in Ocala!! That's when they go around and hose down the orange trees.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Fire it up at 5°F with commercial isobutane/propane blends and the Reactor dies fairly quickly unless you go the water bath route for the canister. Jetboil with copper strip will run just fine well below zero using plain-jane butane, vapor temp 31°F. With straight-up butane it takes a couple of tricks to get it started, but once running it'll run full bore to the last molecule of fuel.

But if 100% propane is an option and weight is not a concern, of course the Reactor is a good choice. I suppose there are some who are willing to schlep those 1lb propane canisters up into the mountains. 2 people makes it easier, splitting the load.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    ....I suppose there are some who are willing to schlep those 1lb propane canisters up into the mountains. 2 people makes it easier, splitting the load.
    Don't get any ideas.. I'm not carrying that thing. End of story.

I'll let you look at the Jet Boil next time we're out
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Don't get any ideas.. I'm not carrying that thing. End of story.

I'll let you look at the Jet Boil next time we're out
    LOL not to worry... those 1 lb propane canisters actually weigh about 2 lbs, and a bit more for the adapter.

However, with careful fuel management I think there would be enough fuel there to melt snow and heat water for 3 people for 3 nights. I once used my JB for 3 people for 2 nights in that way (melt snow, boil for food/coffee) using one 230g canister and part of another, so right around 300g total, in single digit temps. A typical isobutane/propane canister weighs 380g, so 2x would be 760g, not that much lighter than the 860g for the small propane tank. BTUs per unit is almost the same for the two.

I actually have a spare MiniMo setup you can use if you like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast