Hello from Colorado Springs, CO

Hi All!

Name's Richard, and as the subject says I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I'm new to hammocking but have a nice little kit already and am eager to get out and hang, perhaps even do some winter hammocking. I'd like to thank Shug for leading me here, as well as for producing excellent and entertaining content. Even though hammocking is a small part of his videos, the Corporal's Corner channel on YT also helped me learn how to prepare ridgelines, prepare my kit, etc (I'm not sure that Cpl Kelly has an acct here, but felt it was was worthwhile mentioning it). Also used the hammock videos of Tim Watson on YT for ideas.

Just a quick n' dirty list of my gear, so far:
    • Hammock Camp hammock set (probably one of those mass produced cheaper sets, but it's been working great so far in my backyard testing ; has a rainfly, Hammie Hangers, bug net, etc)
    • Outdoor Vitals 15 Degree underquilt
    • Kelty Tuck 20 sleeping bag
    • A quick deploy paracord ridgeline, 50' just in case and a spare 25' cord because can you ever really have too much paracord!?
    • Quick deploy paracord guylines for the rainfly with added shockcord suspension (thanks Shug and Tim Watson for the ideas)
    • Various other camping related stuff like MOLLE-compatible pack, cooking gear, Grayl water filter, compass, knives, hatchet, fire-starter kit, wool blanket, etc.
    • Cold weather clothing layers, thermal undies top and bottom, merino wool baselayer, synthetic midlayer, nice Gerry outerlayer stuff, gloves, hats (not as many as Shug, yet), etc.

I believe I am setup for some good cold weather hammocking and if anyone is in Colorado, especially within a reasonable drive from Colorado Springs, and wouldn't mind a tag along, I'd love to hang with ya.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Welcome! It looks like you are on your way. Hammock Quest: Condolences and congratulations.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Welcome! It looks like you are on your way. Hammock Quest: Condolences and congratulations.
    Thanks! Yes, yet another rabbithole . . .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Welcome to HF! Be careful trying to walk the fine line between bushcrafting/survival and recreational hammocking. You end up with TWO sets of gear (or more)!!! You'll also learn to love Amsteel/Zing-it and Dutch gear for ridge lines (although I still keep paracord in certain kits). Ask me how I know.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Welcome to HF! Be careful trying to walk the fine line between bushcrafting/survival and recreational hammocking. You end up with TWO sets of gear (or more)!!! You'll also learn to love Amsteel/Zing-it and Dutch gear for ridge lines (although I still keep paracord in certain kits). Ask me how I know.
    /me looks over at pile of gear and sees three knives, a hatchet, a firestarter kit w/fatwood and ferro rod, water filtration, old cotton t-shirts for making char cloth, etc

Can you fall down multiple rabbitholes at the same time? :-D

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Images
    Howdy Richard,

Colorado Springs Newbie. Not much into winter camping, yet. But would be interested in more people to hang with. PM me if you are interested.
    Ruralguru

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    We have a handful of new folks from Colorado! Welcome aboard Richard!!!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Thanks, all. Haven't yet gotten out this Spring and Summer, been letting work pretty much drain all my time, needing an escape . . .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwfeldmann View Post
    Thanks, all. Haven't yet gotten out this Spring and Summer, been letting work pretty much drain all my time, needing an escape . . .
    Richard,

Been going through Colorado Springs since the early sixties, always made a point to stop in at the Hostel just Northeast of Garden of the Gods. I see that it is now charging about $11.00 per night. There is a Hostel in the Grand Teton Village that is also a nice place to get away, it is at the base of the Ski Lift.

Here are some images of the Hostel, it is a good spot to basecamp for hammocking.
    https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...OQPEAgYARgBKAA

We used to get in for $30 a night in the Mid-80's - those prices are long gone. I see that they have a deal, 10 stays and your 11th stay is free.

From San Antonio, Texas - Come visit Big Bend

• + New Posts