Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Hello From Wayzata MN

Hello everyone. Since I am starting to post a lot of questions seemed fair to actually introduce myself. My name is Mat and I am located out in Wayzata, MN. Been in Minnesota just over 10 years now and started getting into hiking about (checks REI purchase history) 4 years ago. Was great timing as my youngest was born 3 1/2 years ago which is right when you want to start picking up an expensive hobby that is totally centered around taking you away from home. Fortunately my wife is wonderful and after having our second child a year ago (no more for us) it can only get easier from here on out. Right?

Two years ago I started a section hike of the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota which has been a lot of fun. So far it has all been in 3 day/2 night trips but after the first one I knew I wanted to keep getting out there as life allows. Last year I made the swap over to an ENO after feeling just a vague dissatisfaction with tents. I really enjoyed my ENO SuperSub but basically everything other than the Hammock (bugnet, underquilt, etc) felt like there was so much room to improve. This year I got to take my Ridgerunner out and I love it. Actually ran into JeremyL on the trail (my friend and I appear somewhere super briefly in one of his Superior videos) and he had a Ridgerunner which helped push me in that direction.

After haggling back and forth I received permission from my wife for two 4 day/3 night trips and one 3 day/2 night trips on the Superior Hiking Trail next year. Already sticking them on the calendar in anticipation! As a bonus we are visiting family in NC for Christmas and I get to do a 1 night hang at Eno River State Park with some hiking the next day.

Thanks for all the help already and looking forward to getting to know everyone more!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Your sarcasm is noted and found hilarious. My wife and I don't have kids ourselves and I gotta tell ya it...feels...phenomenal.

Welcome to the forums
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Of course, my first thought is:

Wade, have ya had a chance to think about, uh, that deal I was talkin' about, those forty acres there on Wayzata?

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Hello everyone. Since I am starting to post a lot of questions seemed fair to actually introduce myself. My name is Mat and I am located out in Wayzata, MN. Been in Minnesota just over 10 years now and started getting into hiking about (checks REI purchase history) 4 years ago. Was great timing as my youngest was born 3 1/2 years ago which is right when you want to start picking up an expensive hobby that is totally centered around taking you away from home. Fortunately my wife is wonderful and after having our second child a year ago (no more for us) it can only get easier from here on out. Right?

Two years ago I started a section hike of the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota which has been a lot of fun. So far it has all been in 3 day/2 night trips but after the first one I knew I wanted to keep getting out there as life allows. Last year I made the swap over to an ENO after feeling just a vague dissatisfaction with tents. I really enjoyed my ENO SuperSub but basically everything other than the Hammock (bugnet, underquilt, etc) felt like there was so much room to improve. This year I got to take my Ridgerunner out and I love it. Actually ran into JeremyL on the trail (my friend and I appear somewhere super briefly in one of his Superior videos) and he had a Ridgerunner which helped push me in that direction.

After haggling back and forth I received permission from my wife for two 4 day/3 night trips and one 3 day/2 night trips on the Superior Hiking Trail next year. Already sticking them on the calendar in anticipation! As a bonus we are visiting family in NC for Christmas and I get to do a 1 night hang at Eno River State Park with some hiking the next day.

Thanks for all the help already and looking forward to getting to know everyone more!
    Welcome... from just a bit further west of you in Hutchinson.

So far, most of my hammocking has been local, backyard and the BWCA. With Empty-Nester-Hood approaching, I've got plans to start doing the SHT primarily in the springs and fall. I love colder weather treks.

Good Hammock weather headed our way in the next couple of days !!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Not quite brave enough to be taking my hammock out with a daily high of 3 degrees we having coming up but got next week off by myself so planning on checking out Lake Maria state park and hopefully it will be a bit warmer by then. Might bring my hammock in case I find somewhere pretty to relax for a while.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Welcome to the Forums. I'm over in Milwaukee, WI. There is talk about a potential Feb. hang in Jay Cooke SP and BACONFEST 2020 will be over @ Lake Wissota SP in Chippewa Falls, WI (about 3 hours for you). It'd be great to meet you at a hang sometime!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    JrB+Cedar Ridge UP
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Welcome, you've found the right place to get sorted on everything hammock camping.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Welcome to the Forums. I'm over in Milwaukee, WI. There is talk about a potential Feb. hang in Jay Cooke SP and BACONFEST 2020 will be over @ Lake Wissota SP in Chippewa Falls, WI (about 3 hours for you). It'd be great to meet you at a hang sometime!
    Looking forward to meeting up at a hang eventually! Added Baconfest to my calendar but that is the week before things start to get busy for the summer (following weekends are wedding, bike bar crawl, wedding, 4 day camping trip) so might be needed at home. Perhaps I can sneak away for one night if I pack up very quiet.

Hammock
    SLD TL, DW Chameleon, Haven XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, CDT clew
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Hope you find all the information you are looking for, I'm sure others here will be more than happy to share their wealth of knowledge. If your ever in the La Crosse area look me up for some hang time.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekmedic View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Hope you find all the information you are looking for, I'm sure others here will be more than happy to share their wealth of knowledge. If your ever in the La Crosse area look me up for some hang time.
    Sorry to barge in here, but what is available to hang at a camp ground or what ever south of La Crosse?? I travel From Minneapolis to East of Janesville, WI once or twice a year. Being a Hanger Noob, I have no Idea of the area. Motorcycle traveler. I plan to sell my Cycle trailer, Kamprite tent cot and just use the bike and hammock to camp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast