Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tensa4 continuous loop suspension - Cons?

I've always received excellent advice from you learned folks... sometimes sending me in different directions than where I started... but by and large made for some highly successful mods dialing in my kit.

I picked up a bunch of 1/8" amsteel during RSBR's sale thinking I would do a couple UCR's for hammock suspension on my tensa4.

I have 15" CL's on my SRL hammock. End wrapped that gives me about an 8" "tail". I have whoopies, but even fully closed they are a bit too long. I've been double and triple wrapping them on the tensa poles to keep them shorter, but adjusting them are a pain. That left me with thinking I needed to go with shorter continuous loops on my hammock, which I'm not too fond of when tree hangin, or go with a different suspension.

That led me to straps as the most versatile option... but don't want em... or UCR's and/or shorter CL's+UCR's. I got to thinking though... once dialed in it "seems" like there shouldn't be any need to really have to make adjustments to the pole distances or hang angle (for my main hammock, anyway).

Why not just keep the hammock CL's as is and put together another fitted CL from CL to pole?? No muss no fuss(?) If it were really that great of a solution though wouldn't "everyone" be doing that already? Maybe they are and I just haven't run across it yet?

What's the downside I'm not realizing at the moment? I realize that a custom fitted CL would really only be good for "that" particular hammock+tensa setup, but I only have 2 other hammocks and aren't likely to be using them in the tensa, anyway. If I switch my "main" I could always just do another set of fitted CL's. I bought WAY more amsteel than I'll probably ever use in my lifetime.

Thoughts/suggestions?
    Last edited by Yarome; 12-07-2019 at 05:10.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I use CLs on my Tensa 4and attach them to my hammock CLs with soft shackles. I usually wrap the cls on the stand around the poles to fine tune the distance for different tarps.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    I use CLs on my Tensa 4and attach them to my hammock CLs with soft shackles.
    Thanks. Is there an advantage to using shackles over just lark's heading the CL's together? Ease of detachment, maybe?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I used some leftover Amsteel to make CLs just for the Tensa 4, and use a toggle to connect the Hammock CL to the Stand CL. Not a custom length, just take another loop around he stand. Not super adjustable, but works great. A custom length might work better.

It's not finely adjustable, though and I'm going to make change. I thinking of making a small loop in hi strength line and going with a Marlingspike hitch to fix that.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Thanks. Is there an advantage to using shackles over just lark's heading the CL's together? Ease of detachment, maybe?
    Just easier to attach and detach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    That's basically what I do, I took it one step further and made a custom length soft shackle

Images
    Yarome, I believe I shared this with you before, but FWIW I'll add my method.

I have a set of short dogbones - basically the buries are butted up against each other - and I loop those over the stand poles and connect them to the hammock CLs using carabiners.

This seems to work well with all my hammocks (a few too many) except the Ridgerunner which requires its own special brand of tinkering to work well with the T4. I don't want custom, extra-long CLs running through my hammocks' gathered ends, and I don't like the stand geometry (really wide baseline) required to get a decent sit height if hanging the standard size hammock CLs directly over the poles, so this is what I do.

Another CL could perfectly take the place of these dog bones and would actually be a tiny bit simpler, but I already had them - I didn't make them just for this purpose.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    On my Tensa4 I attach my hammock CL directly to the toggles on the stand with a carabiner. I use the Tensa’s RL webbing strap to adjust the stand to the length. This keeps it simple for me and works for my hammock.

For my Amok Draumr XL I larks head CLs to the buckles and use a carabiner to attach it to the toggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I have a set of short dogbones - basically the buries are butted up against each other - and I loop those over the stand poles and connect them to the hammock CLs using carabiners.

....I don't like the stand geometry (really wide baseline) required to get a decent sit height if hanging the standard size hammock CLs directly over the poles, so this is what I do.
    I actually kind of like the DB idea. Seems like that would simplify routing (possibly wrapping) at the pole ends.

Absolutely agree! I like my hammock CL's short, I don't want to mess with my tree hangs and the stand geometry is WICKED going direct. I'm also not too fond of flex and pole toggle wear/stresses that wide... not to mention it might limit setup location. Not an option for me either since I pretty much always hang with a tarp... at least snaked and ready to go. Even with tarp pole extensions, I can't get them to "pull" that far out without reconfiguring the TPE sling. Don't wanna "go there".

I've been tuning a new hammock setup and haven't touched back on my T4 until now. Don't ask what I've been doing since my first ask... it's beyond "dirty"! If 3 shackles, 4 biners and a rapel ring entered your mind though... you're probably getting warm.). I'm kind of thinking DB's would wear better on my shackles too (wider points of contact) over a CL.

The other possibility in the works... I recently bought a couple sets of those turtle ties. If I went "that" direction it would get me where I want to go and would also let me be full on adjustable. I just don't know if I fully trust them yet. They've been doing fine on tree hangs, but you know how you get that little bit of a "pop" sometimes when the T4 head tie-out "kicks in"... not ready to try turtle's on my T4 just yet.

The ultimate goal being to get everything dialed in for 3-in-1 usage (T4, T4Solo's and TPE's w/w/o) with the simplest/least amount of dedicated rigging's. Shooting for fully interchangeable. Some cross-over

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    I havent built mine up yet, but i figure to build dedicated everything for the hammock i plan to dedicate to the t4. My tree setup system is standard now (short CLs, loong straps, J-Bends) so as long as i bring the straps, my t4 hammock can be hung on trees easily enough. My tarp goes on my straps, so i will definitely have to fogure a way to make that happen, but my only hammock tarp might be 10”-12” longer than my hammock hangs, so once i get the tensa4 built ill have to fiddle until i get my hang proper, then fiddle again until i get the tarp proper, and lock in all variables (maybe measurements on a lil notepad lol).
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast